Jump to content
Pastafarian

Great argument against the electoral college.

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, BatteryPowered said:

 

It is the same.  The majority of the voters in the state decide which electors they want to represent them in the Presidential vote.

 

 

And why should electors elect the President?  Is it we the States (and Electors) or we the People?

 

No other election here is like that.  When you elect a governor the most votes wins.  A senator, the most votes.  A representative, the most votes wins.  So, why should electing a President be any different?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

Because they have majority rule elections to elect their own Senators, who then have to fight it out with other Senators. 

The real question is why does CA, with a huge population, have the same number of senators and tiny Rhode Island?

That's what I'm asking you. Why do nation-wide majority-rule elections matter for president, but not the senate or house?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BatteryPowered said:

 

No...they didn't

 

 

 

Yes, they did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, kking said:

Why the qualification of "in their state"? I thought majority rule is the ideal?

 

It is but we have 50 states with separate elections.  Do away with those and the problem goes away.  Then the president would have to be elected by the people, which is as it should be.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pengwin said:

 

It is but we have 50 states with separate elections.  Do away with those and the problem goes away.  Then the president would have to be elected by the people, which is as it should be.

Do away with the states?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

And why should electors elect the President?  Is it we the States (and Electors) or we the People?

 

Better question;

 

Is it the United States of America or the United People of America?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kking said:

That's what I'm asking you. Why do nation-wide majority-rule elections matter for president, but not the senate or house?

 

Because the state sends representatives and senators that the people, the majority, elected from their state.  They obey majority rule.  The election for president does not.

 

Think of the US as one big state.  Why should the majority not rule that was well and get to pick who they want for president themselves?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kking said:

Do away with the states?

 

Why not, it's one nation, not 50.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pengwin said:

 

Why not, it's one nation, not 50.

It is a Union of 50 states. Where the true democratic process was designed to take place at the state and local level.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

 

Why not, it's one nation, not 50.

 

Because it's not the Nation of Pegwin.

 

We have as Constitution.

 

Find an Adult to read it to you.

 

If you don't like it - move to North Korea.

 

They don't have one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BatteryPowered said:

 

Better question;

 

Is it the United States of America or the United People of America?

 

 

People, actually.  When it goes to war it's not South Dakota and Maine versus France.  It's the US versus France.

 

And while you might be a citizen of your state, by be would be you mostly call yourself and American and there are 328 million of us.  We are the people - for the people, by the people.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Huey said:

It is a Union of 50 states. Where the true democratic process was designed to take place at the state and local level.  

 

Indeed, but not at the national level.  Very - undemocratic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

Think of the US as one big state. 

 

I already told you this is where you're tripping yourself up. Thanks for admitting it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

Yes, they did.

 

No...they didn't.  There were (according to the FEC) 136,669,237 votes cast in the 2016 election.  Hitlery received 48.2% of them.  That is NOT a majority.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BatteryPowered said:

 

No...they didn't.  There were (according to the FEC) 136,669,237 votes cast in the 2016 election.  Hitlery received 48.2% of them.  That is NOT a majority.

 

 

I said she got more votes than Trump.  Try again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

 

Indeed, but not at the national level.  Very - undemocratic.

Not at all.  Aren't you some sort of lawyer?  Real Estate maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SixShooter said:

 

I already told you this is where you're tripping yourself up. Thanks for admitting it.

 

For a National election, the US should be one big state as there is only one Federal government.  And its election (elections) should also be winner take all, the majority gets the leader most voted for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

 

Indeed, but not at the national level.  Very - undemocratic.

 

Very Constitutional.

 

Very uncommunist.

 

Which makes you sad.

 

Ha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Huey said:

Not at all.  Aren't you some sort of lawyer?  Real Estate maybe?

 

Nope, I'm a layman who beats lawyers.

 

And if Jimmy gets 10 votes and Sally gets 12, which one wins?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

Because the state sends representatives and senators that the people, the majority, elected from their state.  They obey majority rule.  The election for president does not.

Think of the US as one big state.  Why should the majority not rule that was well and get to pick who they want for president themselves?

Why would I think of the US as one big state when everything in the founding documents say that they are a union of states?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pengwin said:

And if Jimmy gets 10 votes and Sally gets 12, which one wins?

 

What are the rules for determining the winner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kking said:

Why would I think of the US as one big state when everything in the founding documents say that they are a union of states?

 

Because it only has one Federal government over them all.  Shouldn't a Fed. election be the same as a State election, the one with the most votes wins?  Was this nation founded for the states or the people?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SixShooter said:

 

What are the rules for determining the winner?

 

Common sense.  Got any?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

The majority of voters voted for her.

 

See numbnuts (a.k.a. Pengwin) you DID say the majority of voters voted for her. 

 

YOU LIED! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

 

Nope, I'm a layman who beats lawyers.

 

And if Jimmy gets 10 votes and Sally gets 12, which one wins?

 

In a state or local election no one.  That close a margin will probably kick off an automatic recount.  And in a presidential election no one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


No holds barred chat

You don't have permission to chat in this chatroom
×
×
  • Create New...