Pastafarian

Great argument against the electoral college.

Just now, kking said:

But they aren't, though. The senators from Minnesota gets elected by way fewer votes than the senators from California. 

So?  It's majority rules therefore the one with the highest number of votes wins in their state.  No difference. Why not that for President?

Just now, Pengwin said:

So?  It's majority rules therefore the one with the highest number of votes wins in their state.  No difference. Why not that for President?

Why the qualification of "in their state"? I thought majority rule is the ideal?

2 minutes ago, Huey said:

You can't dump the Constitution. 

Yes, you can.  Read Jefferson to Madison.

If we could dump a king we can dump a piece of paper.

1 minute ago, kking said:

Why the qualification of "in their state"? I thought majority rule is the ideal?

It is.  Majority rule wins in CA elections.  Majority rule wins in VT elections, so, why does majority rule not win in a national election?

2 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS WITH PRESIDENT YOU MORON!!

3 minutes ago, Huey said:

You can't dump the Constitution.  You can have a convention to propose amendments to the Constitution.  And what if 22 states DO NOT wish to dump the Union?  That's another argument.

Nothing is stopping you from attempting to pull together that convention, propose the amendments, get two thirds of the state legislatures to sign on, and get 38 states to agree.

Good luck!

1 minute ago, Pengwin said:

As I am understanding your posts you are no fan of the Constitution.  

As I said, Good Luck!  

Through the legislative measures outlined in the constitution, or by revolution?

It is.  Majority rule wins in CA elections.  Majority rule wins in VT elections, so, why does majority rule not win in a national election?

But the house and the senate pass legislation for the whole country. Why shouldn't it be a national vote for every legislator, if majority rule is the ideal?

Because we don't have a national election.  We have 50 state elections (+ DC).  Duh!

Just now, kking said:

Through the legislative measures outlined in the constitution, or by revolution?

But the house and the senate pass legislation for the whole country. Why shouldn't it be a national vote for every legislator, if majority rule is the ideal?

That is called a representative republic.  

1 minute ago, SixShooter said:

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS WITH PRESIDENT YOU MORON!!

No.  If that were true there would be no EC, the People would elect the President directly, like state citizens directly elect their Senators now (which wasn't true when the nation was founded).

4 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

Geez, fourteen pages of ignorant liberal blather.

3 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

That's easy to answer. You're an ignoramus and an imbecile.

1 hour ago, Pengwin said:

There are none, but small Flyover states like it.

That type of thinking is proof of the need of the EC. You have just provided the very reason the compromise was made and why it is part of the Constitution. 

Your real problem is the Dems ran the one person in the US that Trump could beat. 

It's a false premise.  When CA elects ____, it does so with CA citizens and the most votes wins.  The same with all other states but for US citizens, they do not get to elect their President directly, the most votes wins  And that's the only election like it here and that's wrong.

1 minute ago, neilcar said:

That type of thinking is proof of the need of the EC. You have just provided the very reason the compromise was made and why it is part of the Constitution. 

Your real problem is the Dems ran the one person in the US that Trump could beat. 

But he didn't beat her, hence the point.  The majority of voters voted for her.

5 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

No.  

YES. YOU SAID the one with the highest number of votes wins in their state. That is EXACTLY how it works with presidential elections.

END OF DISCUSSION.

2 minutes ago, SixShooter said:

YES. YOU SAID the one with the highest number of votes wins in their state.

Right, like a governor.  The one who gets the highest number of votes, from the citizens, wins.  So, why is that not true for US citizens when voting for their highest leader, the President?

2 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

Right, like a governor.  The one who gets the highest number of votes, from the citizens, wins.  So, why is that not true for US citizens when voting for their highest leader, the President?

It is. The highest number of votes for president wins in that state. Then that state's electors are awarded accordingly.

Why do we have to teach you civics 101??

Just now, SixShooter said:

It is. The highest number of votes for president wins in that state.

Okay, I'll help.  When you vote for your governor, do you vote for electors (that then elect him) or do vote directly and the one with the most votes wins?

G1: gets 100,000 votes, G2: gets 200,000 votes.

Which one wins?

19 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

It is the same.  The majority of the voters in the state decide which electors they want to represent them in the Presidential vote.

11 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

It's a false premise.  When CA elects ____, it does so with CA citizens and the most votes wins.  The same with all other states but for US citizens, they do not get to elect their President directly, the most votes wins  And that's the only election like it here and that's wrong.

No. You've asserted over and over that majority rule is the ideal form of democracy, and that the EC undermines majority rule. So my question is, why is electing the president different than electing the senate or the house, ESPECIALLY considering that the legislature is more influential over policy and legislation than the president? Why are the citizens California subject to the influence of senators whom they didn't elect?

12 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

But he didn't beat her

Yes he did.

12 minutes ago, Pengwin said:

The majority of voters voted for her.

Still can't grasp it huh? 

I'm done. You're unteachable.

Besides, I already declared END OF DISCUSSION.

Why are the citizens California subject to the influence of senators whom they didn't elect?

Because they have majority rule elections to elect their own Senators, who then have to fight it out with other Senators. 

The real question is why does CA, with a huge population, have the same number of senators and tiny Rhode Island?

1 minute ago, SixShooter said:

Yes he did.

Still can't grasp it huh? 

I'm done. You're unteachable.

Besides, I already declared END OF DISCUSSION.

So, go away then  Goodbye, idiot.