RollingRock

Millions of Americans are about to lose their health insurance in a pandemic

1 hour ago, bludog said:

As the COVID19 pandemic is demonstrating, health coverage linked to employment is now a double-edged-sword.  One edge slices at continuing good healtha and even survival, while the other cuts off their ability to pay for the care they need.  It's a "Catch 22".  As the pandemic causes companies to fail financially, their former employees are stranded without the healthcare required during a pandemic.

Changes in the insurance industry have become much crueler.  Now they terminate a laid off employee's health insurance coverage on the same day they're shown the door.  In the past, most insurers would end coverage on the last day of the month an employee leaves the job.  So there are going to be thousands upon thousands of people who will contract the virus and, sadly, will be handed massive medical bills as well. 

In such conditions, the Health Insurance Industry no longer plays the role in helping ordinary people from which they had formerly profited.  Even in normal times, for-profit health insurance is nothing more than a middleman, skimming off a profit from one of the most essential services there is: ---  Healthcare. 

Insurance companies are, indeed, unnecessary middlemen in our healthcare.  They provide nothing that the CMS (Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services) couldn't provide with ease at an infinitely lower cost.   Interesting you used that term, as it is also a term Wendell Potter uses regularly

"Even big corporations are beginning to realize that the private insurance system is an unnecessary middleman. When I was toward the end of my career at Cigna, before I’d made my decision to leave, I was in a meeting with 50 or so of us and the CEO, and somebody asked him, what kept him up at night. And he said this disintermediation, which is a real fancy word that means getting rid of the middleman."

https://vtdigger.org/2019/06/23/qa-ex-health-insurance-exec-wendell-potter-now-fights-for-single-payer/ 

We need to join the rest of the developed world and provide Single Payer Healthcare to the American People.

Agreed.  It's time.  Hell, it's way past time.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, RollingRock said:

Now that we are in the midst of a once-in-a-century kind of pandemic, the healthcare crisis in this country WILL become infinitely more pronounced.  That's a guarantee.  Below is Wendell Potter's take on the matter.  I'd like to hear what you all think, too, as well as your solutions to this imminent crisis that was already in the making before COVID-19 reared its ugly head.

IMO, the pandemic has revealed a number of systemic weaknesses that need to be addressed. 

- Every person in America needs medical coverage, regardless of employment or wealth. It’s not just a moral imperative, it’s a public health imperative. It needs to happen now!

- “Essential” workers are underpaid. Drivers, store clerks, farmers, pharmacy workers, warehouse workers and utility workers are also heroes. 
- Globalization may reduce cost but it is too risky to rely on global supply chains for food, medicines, medical equipment, disinfectant etc. We need to ensure a domestic supply of certain goods, even if it means paying much more. 
- If the economy collapses after a reasonable two month response to a global pandemic then something is wrong with the economic system. 

I’ve always considered myself center-left but the pandemic seems to be pushing me slightly further to the left on certain issues. 

• Upvote 2

It's really frustrating to see this. I know I'm very fortunate to have the insurance I have through my trust fund that recently announced a freeze on hour banks during the pandemic, basically means no one can lose your health insurance during this time.

• Upvote 2

On 5/23/2020 at 12:48 PM, bludog said:

As the COVID19 pandemic is demonstrating, health coverage linked to employment is now a double-edged-sword.  One edge slices at continuing good healtha and even survival, while the other cuts off their ability to pay for the care they need.  It's a "Catch 22".  As the pandemic causes companies to fail financially, their former employees are stranded without the healthcare required during a pandemic.

In such conditions, the Health Insurance Industry no longer plays the role in helping ordinary people from which they had formerly profited.  Even in normal times, for-profit health insurance is nothing more than a middleman, skimming off a profit from one of the most essential services there is: ---  Healthcare. 

We need to join the rest of the developed world and provide Single Payer Healthcare to the American People.

There is something inherently immoral about making money from people's health circumstances, it sorta belongs in the same dumpster as "Dead Peasants" life insurance.

• Upvote 1