Sign in to follow this  
Olivaw

Coronavirus patients who took hydroxychloroquine had higher risk of death, study shows

Posted this in NHB. The response from the trolls was ... interesting (🙄). Thought I’d post it here for liberals who don’t venture over to the troll farm. @zkyllonen8, if Inappropriate to cross post, please delete. 

Coronavirus patients who took hydroxychloroquine had higher risk of death, study shows

News article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/05/22/covid-19-study-links-hydroxychloroquine-higher-risk-death/5244664002/

Peer Reviewed paper: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6/fulltext#seccestitle10

The study Included 96,032 patients,  671 hospitals, 6 continents. it was not a double-blind drug trial (which takes years). However, it was an objective look at outcomes using fairly robust analysis. Not only was there no measurable benefit to Trump’s favorite treatment, the evidence suggests that hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine used as a treatment for COVID-19 Increases the risk of death. 

We were unable to confirm a benefit of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine, when used alone or with a macrolide, on in-hospital outcomes for COVID-19. Each of these drug regimens was associated with decreased in-hospital survival and an increased frequency of ventricular arrhythmias when used for treatment of COVID-19.

This is called science. There is the assumption, or the anecdote that something works because it seems as though it has. 

During a pandemic everyone wants something to be done. Most especially those hospital workers on the front lines who 

deal with real people, and they have nothing that works. 

The Washington Post: When Coronavirus Is Growing Exponentially, Everything Looks Fine Until It Doesn’t. There’s an old brain teaser that goes like this: You have a pond of a certain size, and upon that pond, a single lily pad. This particular species of lily pad reproduces once a day, so that on day two, you have two lily pads. On day three, you have four, and so on. Now the teaser. “If it takes the lily pads 48 days to cover the pond completely, how long will it take for the pond to be covered halfway?” The answer is 47 days. Moreover, at day 40, you’ll barely know the lily pads are there. (Megan McArdle, 3/10)

So we do have to understand that businesses are being wrecked, and we do know, that too many people live payday to payday to pay their rent. 

If you go to the pharmacy you see shelves of unapproved supplemental herbs and vitamins that promise to do this or that. 

It's a big time business, you think. Hey... what's that one, it will reduce the size of my prostate, well maybe I should try it. I mean what do I have to lose!!!

Serenity Now!!!

I miss this guy a lot!!!

• Upvote 1