screen_shot_2020-05-22_at_10.59.28_am.pn

Great article by Robert Reich:

No description of the coronavirus is more misleading than calling it "the great equalizer."

The horrific truth is that Native Americans, Latinos, and African-Americans are dying at much higher rates than white people—and we don’t know the half of it because the CDC hasn’t released any racial data about the virus; we don’t know if they’re even collecting it.

But the picture emerging from cities, states, and reservations is that of an atrocity.

In Milwaukee County, black people make up just 26% of the county’s population but account for almost half the county’s cases, and a staggering 81% of its deaths. 

Louisiana, Illinois, and Michigan are no different: black people make up less of the overall population, but account for vastly more of both cases and deaths.

In San Francisco, Latinos account for just 15% of the population but make up 31% of the city’s confirmed cases, and account for over 80% of the city’s hospitalized coronavirus patients. And in the country’s epicenter of New York City, the virus is twice as deadly for Latinos as for white people.

Native Americans are also dying in wildly disproportionate numbers. The Navajo Nation, with about 175,000 residents, has more cases of COVID-19 than nine entire states. And more deaths than 13 states.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/05/22/tale-two-pandemics

• Upvote 1

I enjoy Robert Reich.  Sadly this morning I watched C-Span's Washington Journal. They had an excellent guest Bakari Sellers talking about his book My Vanishing Country. 

It was painful to watch due to the ignorant callers. People of color are taking a big hit during this pandemic due to systemic racism, and not enough of a political voice. He was there just trying to bring a needed discussion to the people. It was painful to watch. 

The sad fact is that there are a lot of ignorant folks in this country. I'm not saying they are bad people, but they are most certainly ignorant to history, the truth, science, etc... And they vote against their own best interest. And I know right-wing politicians feed their ignorance. They have built this divide which serves their purpose which is to stay in power. Somehow too many people do not understand that when you rob people of their full potential, everybody loses. The whole reason we need to educate people is to make this a better world for all. Your not taking away anyone's freedom when you do this. It's quite the contrary, you're really trying to set them free. 

https://www.c-span.org/video/?472320-4/washington-journal-bakari-sellers-discusses-book-my-vanishing-country&event=472320&playEvent

• Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, TheOldBarn said:

I enjoy Robert Reich.  Sadly this morning I watched C-Span's Washington Journal. They had an excellent guest Bakari Sellers talking about his book My Vanishing Country. 

It was painful to watch due to the ignorant callers. People of color are taking a big hit during this pandemic due to systemic racism, and not enough of a political voice. He was there just trying to bring a needed discussion to the people. It was painful to watch. 

The sad fact is that there are a lot of ignorant folks in this country. I'm not saying they are bad people, but they are most certainly ignorant to history, the truth, science, etc... And they vote against their own best interest. And I know right-wing politicians feed their ignorance. They have built this divide which serves their purpose which is to stay in power. Somehow too many people do not understand that when you rob people of their full potential, everybody loses. The whole reason we need to educate people is to make this a better world for all. Your not taking away anyone's freedom when you do this. It's quite the contrary, you're really trying to set them free. 

https://www.c-span.org/video/?472320-4/washington-journal-bakari-sellers-discusses-book-my-vanishing-country&event=472320&playEvent

Unfortunately they have been convinced that educators are part of this whole brainwashing indoctrination that the government is doing. I hate to say this but things are probably going to have to get a whole lot worse before we get back on the right track. Can you believe it but less than 600 votes in Florida changed the trajectory of this country clearly for the worse in 2000. Faith in our government may have had a fighting chance if the debt was nearly gone and we didn't plunge ourselves into a war with no end in sight. We had 8 years of sanity that was brutally attacked by the crazy right wing media and now we have had this trainwreck for 3 1/2 years and despite his obvious lack of leadership he may get another 4 years. I think Robert Reich is someone who saw the writing on the wall 40+ years ago and found he was fighting against forces that he alone couldn't fight off. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
16 minutes ago, fourputt said:

Unfortunately they have been convinced that educators are part of this whole brainwashing indoctrination that the government is doing. I hate to say this but things are probably going to have to get a whole lot worse before we get back on the right track. Can you believe it but less than 600 votes in Florida changed the trajectory of this country clearly for the worse in 2000. Faith in our government may have had a fighting chance if the debt was nearly gone and we didn't plunge ourselves into a war with no end in sight. We had 8 years of sanity that was brutally attacked by the crazy right wing media and now we have had this trainwreck for 3 1/2 years and despite his obvious lack of leadership he may get another 4 years. I think Robert Reich is someone who saw the writing on the wall 40+ years ago and found he was fighting against forces that he alone couldn't fight off. 

Part of the puzzle is the lack of economic thought regarding national debt. I feel too many people are bamboozled into thinking that the US carries too much debt. This narrative helps when politicians want to get rid of needed policies like the supplemental nutrition assistance program SNAP - https://www.cbpp.org/research/food-assistance/policy-basics-the-supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-snap.

We need to rethink economics. I do think Maynard Keynes understood correctly the governments role regarding establishing a sustainable economy. We just have to come together here in this country and around the world regarding how to deal with finite resources, and climate change. But you are so right - not by any means is this an easy feat to accomplish. Most especially when some of our representative government leaders don't seem to care about the people they serve!

• Upvote 1