Jump to content
Nexus

Paul Manafort released to home arrest.

Recommended Posts

Due to concerns over the corona virus and his elderly condition, Paul Manafort will serve out his sentence at home. Well, while I am somewhat sympathetic (he wasn't given a death sentence) this seems like more proof of two different justice systems: one for the rich, connected and frankly white and one for everyone else. There are literally thousands of non-violent offenders, elderly and health compromised people in prisons across the country that no move has been release, some of them haven't even convicted or even charged but just couldn't make bail. For that matter, I haven't heard anyone suggesting the elderly, frail and almost blind Bill Cosby be released in light of the epidemic, his offenses were non violent and there is very little chance of him re-offending. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nexus said:

Due to concerns over the corona virus and his elderly condition, Paul Manafort will serve out his sentence at home. 

I hope those who prosecuted Manafort will challenge this ruling.  I have no problem with moving anyone (even a rancid pile of feces like Manafort) out of the path of a deadly virus.  Prisons are currently a petri dish for COVID-19.  However he shouldn't be "serving out his sentence" at home.  He should only allowed temporary home arrest until the pandemic is over.  Once we have a vaccine (or effective form of treatment), I see no reason why Manafort shouldn't be shuttled back to his 6X8 cell to serve the remainder of his 7-year sentence.    

 

Quote

Well, while I am somewhat sympathetic (he wasn't given a death sentence) this seems like more proof of two different justice systems: one for the rich, connected and frankly white and one for everyone else. There are literally thousands of non-violent offenders, elderly and health compromised people in prisons across the country that no move has been release, some of them haven't even convicted or even charged but just couldn't make bail. 

No doubt we need criminal justice reform.  The wealthy and well-connected shouldn't be given special privileges when they stray from the law.  But they are treated differently, every day.  To me, the law is the law.  One's skin color, financial status, or fame/influence should be no factor at all.  

 

Quote

For that matter, I haven't heard anyone suggesting the elderly, frail and almost blind Bill Cosby be released in light of the epidemic, his offenses were non violent and there is very little chance of him re-offending. 

I'd agree that Cosby would be fine on house arrest as well.  However I wouldn't just let him go free.  As long as he's conscious, I believe Cosby is a legitimate threat to women.  Imo, he needs to be monitored as long as he is alive.  He got away with sexual assault for far too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh...drugging and then raping women is hardly "non-violent."

 

Bill

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SpyCar said:

Uh...drugging and then raping women is hardly "non-violent."

 

Bill

He didn't physically assault them, at least I didn't see any accounts of it. What he did was reprehensible (and disturbingly common and practically accepted in the time period. :-/), but there is a difference between it and beating his victims until they can't resist and sexually assaulting them. But more to the point, its he is of an even more advanced age and frail medical condition (I doubt he's even physically capable of of offending again even if he wanted to and somehow got the Quaaludes.). 

 

But that is a little tangential to the point which is that Harvey Weinstein has more of a chance of getting 'Covid Parole' than Cosby for similar offenses given this trend. IIRC, some of his crimes were more physical, but don't quote on that,  but some of his targets were under-aged? Any way, Cosby can be put on an ankle bracelet and sentenced to house arrest just as easily as Paul Manafort (or Roger Stone, last I heard there were muttering along those lines?) even easier as he seems even less physical capable as making an escape or committing his type of crime. The overt double standard really isn't the way the just system should work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Nexus said:

He didn't physically assault them, at least I didn't see any accounts of it. What he did was reprehensible (and disturbingly common and practically accepted in the time period. :-/), but there is a difference between it and beating his victims until they can't resist and sexually assaulting them. But more to the point, its he is of an even more advanced age and frail medical condition (I doubt he's even physically capable of of offending again even if he wanted to and somehow got the Quaaludes.). 

 

But that is a little tangential to the point which is that Harvey Weinstein has more of a chance of getting 'Covid Parole' than Cosby for similar offenses given this trend. IIRC, some of his crimes were more physical, but don't quote on that,  but some of his targets were under-aged? Any way, Cosby can be put on an ankle bracelet and sentenced to house arrest just as easily as Paul Manafort (or Roger Stone, last I heard there were muttering along those lines?) even easier as he seems even less physical capable as making an escape or committing his type of crime. The overt double standard really isn't the way the just system should work. 

 

Drugging a woman and them raping her is a physical assault. Beating someone is not a necessary condition to assault.

 

The Covid-19 pandemic is presenting a new challenge to incarceration. These criminals have not been sentenced to death and we have constitutional protections against cruel and unusual punishments in any case. 

 

I can accept that some (many) prisoner might need monitored release as a matter of justice, but I can't accept that Bill Cosby's actions were "non-violent." As they most certainly were.

 

Bill

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SpyCar said:

 

Drugging a woman and them raping her is a physical assault. Beating someone is not a necessary condition to assault.

 

The Covid-19 pandemic is presenting a new challenge to incarceration. These criminals have not been sentenced to death and we have constitutional protections against cruel and unusual punishments in any case. 

 

I can accept that some (many) prisoner might need monitored release as a matter of justice, but I can't accept that Bill Cosby's actions were "non-violent." As they most certainly were.

 

Bill

That's fine, the nature of his crimes isn't something I was trying to debate. 

 

Interesting addendum, the prison Manafort was sentenced to have no known cases of Covid infection. Of course the risk is there.. Another interesting note is that the 'rat' Michael Cohen requested release for similar reason. Hasn't happened yet. 

 

Obviously, there could be perfectly valid reasons driving these and other questionable moves by the DoJ but Bill Barr has politicized the organization so much, the difference between the treatment of Trump's friends and allies and other people so blatant and Barr's attitude and statement, along with Trump tweets make giving any benefit of the doubt questionable. It just seems to be another way this administration is using the current crisis as cover for their scheming and tearing at the base of society and the rule of law. See also the moves against immigration, legal immigration as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Nexus said:

That's fine, the nature of his crimes isn't something I was trying to debate. 

 

Interesting addendum, the prison Manafort was sentenced to have no known cases of Covid infection. Of course the risk is there.. Another interesting note is that the 'rat' Michael Cohen requested release for similar reason. Hasn't happened yet. 

 

Obviously, there could be perfectly valid reasons driving these and other questionable moves by the DoJ but Bill Barr has politicized the organization so much, the difference between the treatment of Trump's friends and allies and other people so blatant and Barr's attitude and statement, along with Trump tweets make giving any benefit of the doubt questionable. It just seems to be another way this administration is using the current crisis as cover for their scheming and tearing at the base of society and the rule of law. See also the moves against immigration, legal immigration as well. 

 

Trust me, I don't think there is any level of partisan dirty-dealings to which Barr wouldn't stoop.

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpyCar said:

 

Trust me, I don't think there is any level of partisan dirty-dealings to which Barr wouldn't stoop.

 

Bill

 

Totally Agreed. What I find especially troubling is how they're swiflty moving towards not just using the DoJ as a shield but as a Sword against Trump's political enemies, real and perceived. Obama, Biden and others. We're really cruising down the road towards strongman/dictator territory with Trump trying to make his "Lock X) up!' chants come true. 

 

And on a additional note about Michael Cohen. He'd applied to released due to Corona concerns and it had been accepted. Then it went away for reasons no one currently can discern. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fourputt said:

So unless Trump wins in November Manafort is done serving his sentence.

More or less, he's under house arrest as I understand but I imagine that's significantly less onerous than most prison stays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 7:49 PM, Nexus said:

 

Totally Agreed. What I find especially troubling is how they're swiflty moving towards not just using the DoJ as a shield but as a Sword against Trump's political enemies, real and perceived. Obama, Biden and others. We're really cruising down the road towards strongman/dictator territory with Trump trying to make his "Lock X) up!' chants come true. 

 

And on a additional note about Michael Cohen. He'd applied to released due to Corona concerns and it had been accepted. Then it went away for reasons no one currently can discern. 

Cohen is the one that should have been released and not Manafort. That's what happens when you say things about trump and trump didn't like it. I also think we are on the road to a dictatorship. That's what trump and his base really want

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arris said:

Cohen is the one that should have been released and not Manafort. That's what happens when you say things about trump and trump didn't like it. I also think we are on the road to a dictatorship. That's what trump and his base really want

Thats true about the dictator part. A real clue to the whole plan was his victory speech when he was barely a minute into it hes already hinting about another 4 years. I think becoming president for life was the plan from the get go since they knew he was going to do things that would not only shock and recieve condemnation from one side but would also be cheered on by another. This takeover has to be stopped butt cold this November and indictments need to be handed down to all those responsible for the many reprehensible actions others did at Trumps direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...