Who is going to be on the Ticket with Joe?

What do you guys think?

I'm personally thinking either Stacey Abrams, Amy Klobuchar or Elizabeth Warren.

I think all of these would be fine choices to head the ticket with Joe, he has already committed to having a Women VP. 

Which is awesome! 

Who do you guys think Joe is going to pick? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It needs to be Elizabeth Warren to secure victory this November, Sanders supporters will support this ticket for 2 reasons, first will be Bernies endorsement second will be the projection of Biden as

What do you guys think?   I'm personally thinking either Stacey Abrams, Amy Klobuchar or Elizabeth Warren.   I think all of these would be fine choices to head the ticket with Joe,

A month or two ago, I would have based my preference on who could best help Joe win. Klobuchar would have been high on my list because she is a midwestern moderate who can appeal to swing states voter

54 minutes ago, zkyllonen8 said:

What do you guys think?

I'm personally thinking either Stacey Abrams, Amy Klobuchar or Elizabeth Warren.

I think all of these would be fine choices to head the ticket with Joe, he has already committed to having a Women VP. 

Which is awesome! 

Who do you guys think Joe is going to pick? 

that is a big and very important question. Typically the VP pick, is about politics, bringing on board someone who will bring others on board, hopefully in battle ground states. 

But this one is completely different. 

I like Stacey Abrams in that she is a great speaker, and you can easily tell she is really smart when she speaks, but I'm not sure she's the one we need but I'm not discounting her, as she's brilliant no doubt.

Abram''s has a past in Georgia where she sided with conservatives on many issues. I can't say that I have followed her from day one, and I can only say when I've seen her speak, which was when she ran for Governor of Georgia, I was impressed. But here's an article I read the other day: https://prospect.org/politics/stacey-abrams-is-running-for-vice-president/

It's an opinion piece so I can't use it to determine how I think. 

Like I always say again and again, it's about the congress, the representatives of the people. I like Warren because I think she is a fighter and she's dead on with her ideas about what is needed. Except, and this is important, while I have no doubt in my mind that we need to go back to a much more progressive tax structure, I am also not quite sure about how it should be accomplished. A wealth tax sounds good until you start to realize its constraints. Rich people go offshore, they move away, the find whatever trick in the book these days. 

Yes, tax loopholes is a cottage industry where billions are invested in tax avoidance. What huge buffoons the US is for allowing pharmaceuticals to steal knowledge from government funds and then to be allowed to patent these rights to make  their CEO's and shareholders rich while the average bottom 50 percent die. 

So we see air pollution drop overnight due to this shelter in place. * "Nitrogen Oxide levels have fallen quite a lot during in the last eight weeks. NOx is produced from the reaction of nitrogen and oxygen gases in the air during combustion, especially at high temperatures. In areas of high motor vehicle traffic, such as in large cities, the amount of nitrogen oxides emitted into the atmosphere as air pollution can be significant." *http://www.icopal-noxite.co.uk/nox-problem/nox-pollution.aspx

While cutting back on air pollution won't stop the damage of CO2 that is already stuck in the Earth's atmosphere, the reduction of methane gases that are solely introduced into the Earth's atmosphere by mankind, can be stopped. Methane gases have a much much shorter half life compared to CO2, and if we can stop emitting methane we can actually make a big dent in climate change in our own lifetimes, in the lifetimes of our children. 

We should be thinking about that in a big way now. What do we do with our lives? Life is not a feckless expose of nonsensical greed, it should be filled with much less of most of our people feeling oppressed by things that are outside of their own control -And- instead we should be availed to - all of us being stewards, doing what good stewards ought to do. We want this better air for our own people to breath, therefore, we should afford others the same by being good stewards ourselves. And I'm sure that sounds crazy at first to some, but it ain't. Actually its the opposite.

I like a financial transaction tax/ I like the idea a lot.

Peace!

think he goes with Amy out of those three  

warren might be to much for him and I m starting to wonder if it would help her to serve in that role , she has so much more to offer across from Joe then with him ?

Stacy makes him look good too but I find she is not as well known outside of the party " my observation "

Amy has had a good score of decent  press better known less radical  then Warren

so Amy 

4 hours ago, rrober49 said:

think he goes with Amy out of those three  

warren might be to much for him and I m starting to wonder if it would help her to serve in that role , she has so much more to offer across from Joe then with him ?

Stacy makes him look good too but I find she is not as well known outside of the party " my observation "

Amy has had a good score of decent  press better known less radical  then Warren

so Amy 

Yeah I forgot to mention another very strong possibility. 

Kamala Harris. 

She is what Biden was to Obama in 2008. 

This is probably the most likely choice. 

• Upvote 1

Harris or Klobuchar, even more, would be better backups for Biden's style and political viewpoint than Warren.  But for election purposes, Warren would have more appeal to the Left hand quadrant of the Big Tent. 

• Upvote 2
40 minutes ago, bludog said:

Harris or Klobuchar, even more, would be better backups for Biden's style and political viewpoint than Warren.  But for election purposes, Warren would have more appeal to the Left hand quadrant of the Big Tent. 

Agreed if warren was on the ticket with Joe, then it would practically assure the most of the Bernie supporters over. 

Which the Democrats need to do in this election, they failed to do so in 2016. 

They have already reached out more during this cycle than in 2016. 

I feel confident for November, let's hope the Democrats deliver this time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, zkyllonen8 said:

Yeah I forgot to mention another very strong possibility. 

Kamala Harris. 

She is what Biden was to Obama in 2008. 

This is probably the most likely choice. 

Kamala Harris is 55 years old and an absolute dime piece. Sorry. Had to say it

It needs to be Elizabeth Warren to secure victory this November, Sanders supporters will support this ticket for 2 reasons, first will be Bernies endorsement second will be the projection of Biden as a 1 term president and handing over the reigns to Warren. Harris, Abrams, and Klobuchar should be part of the incoming cabinet with Harris as AG.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The way I look at it there are 3 critical factors in the pick.

1) The VP pick has to be someone who helps us win in the electoral college. That means picking up PA, WI, MI, and holding MN. Minnesota has been the Trumpist's number one target as a slate to flip. If we lose WI we'd have to flip a state like Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, etc. 

2) The VP pick should be a person with experience getting legislation through the Senate (assuming a Democratic win). 

3) The VP pick should be a person who can form a close personal relationship based on trust with Joe Biden, similar to what he has with Barack Obama.

I see only one person who checks all these boxes.

Amy Klobuchar. For the win.

Bill

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, SpyCar said:

The way I look at it there are 3 critical factors in the pick.

1) The VP pick has to be someone who helps us win in the electoral college. That means picking up PA, WI, MI, and holding MN. Minnesota has been the Trumpist's number one target as a slate to flip. If we lose WI we'd have to flip a state like Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, etc. 

2) The VP pick should be a person with experience getting legislation through the Senate (assuming a Democratic win). 

3) The VP pick should be a person who can form a close personal relationship based on trust with Joe Biden, similar to what he has with Barack Obama.

I see only one person who checks all these boxes.

Amy Klobuchar. For the win.

Bill

That's a pretty good analysis, Bill.  I have to agree.   There's something about Amy Klobuchar that seems really genuine.  She's smart, has the midwestern appeal that will win many, many midwestern states.  I like her and agree that Amy will quite likely be Joe's VP choice.  

Personally, I would prefer Liz Warren or Stacey Abrams......but you're right, this needs to be someone that Joe Biden has infinite trust and rapport with.  Amy Klobuchar would be a fantastic VP.

• Upvote 2
29 minutes ago, RollingRock said:

That's a pretty good analysis, Bill.  I have to agree.   There's something about Amy Klobuchar that seems really genuine.  She's smart, has the midwestern appeal that will win many, many midwestern states.  I like her and agree that Amy will quite likely be Joe's VP choice.  

Personally, I would prefer Liz Warren or Stacey Abrams......but you're right, this needs to be someone that Joe Biden has infinite trust and rapport with.  Amy Klobuchar would be a fantastic VP.

Thanks. There is much to like about Warren, Abrams, and even Harris--all people with great appeal in the abstract. But in my estimation none of these 3 click what I consider the 3 essential boxes.

This election is not going to be a cakewalk in the electoral college. I think we will pick up PA and MI, but WI is (was previous to the pandemic) right on the knife-edge. If we lose WI, Trump wins unless we can swing some red states like AZ, NC, or FL.

Like it or not, the key will be winning over moderate suburban votes (especially women)  and blue collar working folks. Biden has great appeal there and Klobuchar--IMO--only strengthens the draw. Warren, Abrams, and Harris sadly do not. 

I'd hoped Warren would be HRC's VP pick in 2016. I felt that healing the party was the key issue in that selection. The Tim Kaine selection was a flop.

I'm hoping for the strategic pick this time. We really can not afford another 4 years of Donald J Trump.

I also believe that Joe Biden is far more progressive than most people realize. The recovery from this pandemic will open up new opportunities, as our world has changed. It is a new political landscape. Imagine losing one's job and then ending up in an ICU with Covid-19. Devastating.

Bill

• Upvote 1

Probably Harris.

She's got the 'she looks ethnic so ethnic people will vote for her' factor... and progressives will feel good about themselves if they vote for someone who is both black/Indian AND a woman.

On 5/11/2020 at 8:56 PM, fourputt said:

It needs to be Elizabeth Warren to secure victory this November, Sanders supporters will support this ticket for 2 reasons, first will be Bernies endorsement second will be the projection of Biden as a 1 term president and handing over the reigns to Warren. Harris, Abrams, and Klobuchar should be part of the incoming cabinet with Harris as AG.

It needs to be Warren to not just send a message, this is about us, and by us, I mean everyone. 

The world wide is in tatters, and it doesn't take a genius to understand the multitude of problems.

You want people to have healthcare, first and foremost, no excuses. 

You need to mandate capacity, if we don't have capacity, what good is it?

It has to be a primary focus. 

You need better schools everywhere. What is merit / what is real merit and what is 

real vocation, and what are we striving for?

We need to stop fossil fuel use in its tracks!

Stop methane gas from going into the atmosphere.

Sounds like a general shouting out, here is how we win this war!

We need education, and yes, free speech, and yes, capitalism.

We need to talk to other countries, and have a state department that all our people are proud of.

We need to stop putting people in prison by the score, 

And for those that do need to go to prison,  we need to rethink reform.

And yeah, that all will cost a lot of dough. 

But it is worth every damn cent. 

How many people carry change in their pockets now?

They stash it in their glove compartments, just in case

their car runs out of gas, and they are stuck.

Or, if they are poor, they use it, they use every cent they have.

But most have credit cards these days, and we do know

it is an incredibly large business.

It's trilly trilly big.

Peace!

He's going to need someone who is willing to work with both sides on issues. Some of you might not like that idea but it's a sure win if so and we desperately need Trump and his cronies out of that white house sooner rather than later

On 5/12/2020 at 10:57 AM, SpyCar said:

I also believe that Joe Biden is far more progressive than most people realize.

I hope you are correct.  I will be voting for Biden regardless, but if he ends up putting forth some very progressive policies, even better!  

The recovery from this pandemic will open up new opportunities, as our world has changed. It is a new political landscape.

Our world has changed forever, sadly.  You're right.  President Biden will have a LOT of things to repair as well as make improvements going forward.  There will be opportunity galore.  

Imagine losing one's job and then ending up in an ICU with Covid-19. Devastating.

Bill

What makes that all even more devastating is the fact that commercial insurance companies now typically terminates coverage for a laid off or terminated employee THAT DAY.  A couple of decades ago, most insurance companies would cover that employee through the end of the month.   Nowadays, if one is laid off, they would need to hit a Quick Care that same day if they're not feeling well.  Otherwise, they're SOL unless they have enough money to cough up COBRA premiums.  

There will undoubtedly be tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of people walking out of the hospitals with six figure COVID-19 bills they can't possibly ever pay off.  Something has to be done about that.  That, alone, would make an outstanding stimulus item.  

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, RollingRock said:

I hope you are correct.  I will be voting for Biden regardless, but if he ends up putting forth some very progressive policies, even better!  

Our world has changed forever, sadly.  You're right.  President Biden will have a LOT of things to repair as well as make improvements going forward.  There will be opportunity galore.  

What makes that all even more devastating is the fact that commercial insurance companies now typically terminates coverage for a laid off or terminated employee THAT DAY.  A couple of decades ago, most insurance companies would cover that employee through the end of the month.   Nowadays, if one is laid off, they would need to hit a Quick Care that same day if they're not feeling well.  Otherwise, they're SOL unless they have enough money to cough up COBRA premiums.  

There will undoubtedly be tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of people walking out of the hospitals with six figure COVID-19 bills they can't possibly ever pay off.  Something has to be done about that.  That, alone, would make an outstanding stimulus item.  

It is to heartbreaking to think a person would be suddenly terminated and without medical coverage in the same day. It is cruel. The least we could do as a national response is to make sure those who face fantastical bills as a result of COVID-19 illness are not bankrupted.

This crisis is adding strength to the argument that healthcare coverage and medical insurance are things that should ideally be decoupled from one another. It will be interesting to see how the political landscape shifts as a result of this global pandemic. The resistance to even incremental progress--I fear--remains strong. But it will also change minds towards taking bolder actions.

We need to retake the presidency and control of the Senate. It is a moral imperative.

Bill

• Upvote 1

I disagree that moderates are the key to the election.  They weren't in 2016, and they won't be in 2020.  We need the people who decide NOT to vote.  Get the excitement factor.  It's what Obama had, and it's what Kaine and Hillary lacked.  Like it or not, excitement is the key to winning elections now.  

A month or two ago, I would have based my preference on who could best help Joe win. Klobuchar would have been high on my list because she is a midwestern moderate who can appeal to swing states voters.

Nowadays I am looking for a VP who can help Joe govern. The next president is going to need to navigate the aftermath of the pandemic and help rebuild the economy.  It may be one of the most challenging terms in 50 years. Joe will likely treat his VP as a team mate and grant her a significant role in his administration. Warren tops my list for her brain and stamina. 

• Upvote 2
17 hours ago, Olivaw said:

A month or two ago, I would have based my preference on who could best help Joe win. Klobuchar would have been high on my list because she is a midwestern moderate who can appeal to swing states voters.

Nowadays I am looking for a VP who can help Joe govern. The next president is going to need to navigate the aftermath of the pandemic and help rebuild the economy.  It may be one of the most challenging terms in 50 years. Joe will likely treat his VP as a team mate and grant her a significant role in his administration. Warren tops my list for her brain and stamina. 

In addition to helping Biden govern, Warren will attract many progressive voters to the ticket who might otherwise have opted out.  Warren is an advocate of Single Payer Healthcare and COVID19 is now shining a spotlight on the deficiencies of employer-based  health insurance.  As companies go out of business, their employees lose health insurance just when they are likely to need it most, in the middle of a pandemic.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, bludog said:

In addition to helping Biden govern, Warren will attract many progressive voters to the ticket who might otherwise have opted out.  Warren is an advocate of Single Payer Healthcare and COVID19 is now shining a spotlight on the deficiencies of employer-based  health insurance.  As companies go out of business, their employees lose health insurance just when they are likely to need it most, in the middle of a pandemic.

You’re probably right, BD. The pandemic has thrown a wrench into the works. For most of us, the pre-pandemic debate between MFA and the public-option was almost theoretical. It will become very real for a great many Americans as they lose their jobs and their health insurance. I don’t know where the polls sit, but it would not surprise me to see increasing support for MFA. That would certainly raise Warren’s profile. 

There is also something appealing to me about choosing the best and brightest as a running mate. Warren certainly ticks that box. 

• Upvote 1

First, I don't think Warren would help Biden "govern." Since she would be a political liability in all the critical swing states that we need to win in the electoral college race that may be razor-thin.

WI, MI, PA, MN, AZ, NC, GA, and FL are the critical states. I don't see Warren helping there. The opposite, in fact.

And even if we won with Warren on the ticket, what we will need is someone who can get legislation through the Senate. Warren is a smart person and a fierce advocate for her positions, but I don't see her as a coalition builder. Nothing gets through the Senate without coalition building.

In contrast, Amy Klobuchar soars in these areas. Plus she seems to have a better working relationship with Biden. He will need a like minded person that he can hand a huge load.

We need to be strategic in the pick.

Bill

• Upvote 1
Posted (edited)

Good points.   ↥   ↥   ↥

In Warren's favor:  She would most likely attract more Left Wing Democrats to vote, than Klobuchar would.

Edited by bludog