I love rock (not the faggot shit that passes for rock nowadays, the real stuff), metal, outlaw and classic country. I am a classically trained musician. I play oboe, guitar, drums/percussion, piano and clarinet in order of competence. I love to rock the fuck out. 
what are you guys into? 

5 hours ago, CommieSlayinGirl said:

I love rock (not the faggot shit that passes for rock nowadays, the real stuff), metal, outlaw and classic country. I am a classically trained musician. I play oboe, guitar, drums/percussion, piano and clarinet in order of competence. I love to rock the fuck out. 
what are you guys into? 

That's so cool that you are a multi-instrumentalist. I've deeply loved music my entire life, but--sadly--have no training. One of my very few life regrets. I will admit some envy here. I have played a little clarinet (I own one). You would not be impressed with my musical talent.

As a child of the 1960's and 70's, I love the music of that era. So much great stuff. Bob Dylan is a particular favorite but OMG, so much great music. The Beatles, Stones Animals, Doors, Van Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, Santana, and the Grateful Dead are among the favorites. But I could go on for pages. Unique era.

Like you, I am also a fan of classic (and "outlaw") country. In my case, as a rock and rolling city boy from Los Angeles, country music wasn't the necessarily the "obvious"choice, but I've always loved it. From older stuff like the Carter family and Hank Williams to more modern artists like Merle Haggard (RIP),  Johnny Cash (RIP), Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline...better stop, it is a very long list. I have a pretty deep classic country collection. I'm pretty ignorant about contemporary country pop.

I hooked my 15 year old son on Kitty Wells' "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" and familiarized him with the antecedent songs based on the same melody, from the Carter's "Dreaming Tonight of My Blue Eyes" to Roy Acuff's "Great Speckled Bird" and Hank Thompson's "Wild Side of Life." Improbably, my boy also picked up a taste (from me) for the late French chanteuse Edith Piaf.

In addition to pure country, I love a lot of country rock including Graham Parsons, The Flying Burrito Bros., The Byrds,. and Emmylou Harris melts my heart.  

I loved Bob Marley and got to see him in concert before most Americans knew who he was. Peter Tosh as well.

As I grew older and I became less attached to the current music (80's) I re-discovered great Be-bop era Jazz. Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, and Dexter Gordon among the faves. And I'd always loved Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald.

I love the great Egyptian diva, Om Kulthum (name transliterated variously). A truly great artist. She had greater fame in the Arab world in her day than any American artist has in our society today. When she died the region shut down and went into morning. I also enjoy Hindustani (Indian) classical music and have a large collection.

In recent years, I've gotten much more drawn into classical music, and especially romantic and late-romantic era music. I've come to really love the music of Anton Bruckner and Richard Wagner. And greats like Shubert, Schumann, Beethoven, Dvorak, and Mahler. Love both German and Italian opera. Wagner was a musical genius (if a repulse person in many ways). 

Perhaps you are sorry you asked. LOL.

Anyway, I love music. I feed my soul with great music. It moves me. Vital to my life.

My collection is vast and varied. But I can't play a lick. Very sad. LOL.

Bill

8 hours ago, SpyCar said:

That's so cool that you are a multi-instrumentalist. I've deeply loved music my entire life, but--sadly--have no training. One of my very few life regrets. I will admit some envy here. I have played a little clarinet (I own one). You would not be impressed with my musical talent.

As a child of the 1960's and 70's, I love the music of that era. So much great stuff. Bob Dylan is a particular favorite but OMG, so much great music. The Beatles, Stones Animals, Doors, Van Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, Santana, and the Grateful Dead are among the favorites. But I could go on for pages. Unique era.

Like you, I am also a fan of classic (and "outlaw") country. In my case, as a rock and rolling city boy from Los Angeles, country music wasn't the necessarily the "obvious"choice, but I've always loved it. From older stuff like the Carter family and Hank Williams to more modern artists like Merle Haggard (RIP),  Johnny Cash (RIP), Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline...better stop, it is a very long list. I have a pretty deep classic country collection. I'm pretty ignorant about contemporary country pop.

I hooked my 15 year old son on Kitty Wells' "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" and familiarized him with the antecedent songs based on the same melody, from the Carter's "Dreaming Tonight of My Blue Eyes" to Roy Acuff's "Great Speckled Bird" and Hank Thompson's "Wild Side of Life." Improbably, my boy also picked up a taste (from me) for the late French chanteuse Edith Piaf.

In addition to pure country, I love a lot of country rock including Graham Parsons, The Flying Burrito Bros., The Byrds,. and Emmylou Harris melts my heart.  

I loved Bob Marley and got to see him in concert before most Americans knew who he was. Peter Tosh as well.

As I grew older and I became less attached to the current music (80's) I re-discovered great Be-bop era Jazz. Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, and Dexter Gordon among the faves. And I'd always loved Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald.

I love the great Egyptian diva, Om Kulthum (name transliterated variously). A truly great artist. She had greater fame in the Arab world in her day than any American artist has in our society today. When she died the region shut down and went into morning. I also enjoy Hindustani (Indian) classical music and have a large collection.

In recent years, I've gotten much more drawn into classical music, and especially romantic and late-romantic era music. I've come to really love the music of Anton Bruckner and Richard Wagner. And greats like Shubert, Schumann, Beethoven, Dvorak, and Mahler. Love both German and Italian opera. Wagner was a musical genius (if a repulse person in many ways). 

Perhaps you are sorry you asked. LOL.

Anyway, I love music. I feed my soul with great music. It moves me. Vital to my life.

My collection is vast and varied. But I can't play a lick. Very sad. LOL.

Bill

That’s all cool stuff! I like some classical music, too, from my orchestra days. I like a little punka, ska, and reggae if I’m in the right mood. Lots of oldies, too. 

31 minutes ago, CommieSlayinGirl said:

That’s all cool stuff! I like some classical music, too, from my orchestra days. I like a little punka, ska, and reggae if I’m in the right mood. Lots of oldies, too. 

I got to see the Clash on their first American tour in a small venue (they were virtually unknown outside the subculture). Saw groups like The Dead Kennedys and X all the time when punk was first breaking. Rarely in the mood now.

Bill

• Like 1

Toto, CCR, The Band, Dylan, Simon and Garfunkle, Byrds.  My favorite songs are Rossanna(Toto) My back pages (Byrds)  CCR (ever see the rain) Dylan God on our side. and the Boxer.  Like country too. Play by ear. but Not good at guitar. Hurts my fingers

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SootedUpCyndi said:

Toto, CCR, The Band, Dylan, Simon and Garfunkle, Byrds.  My favorite songs are Rossanna(Toto) My back pages (Byrds)  CCR (ever see the rain) Dylan God on our side. and the Boxer.  Like country too. Play by ear. but Not good at guitar. Hurts my fingers

You gotta build up callus on your fingertips, then it won’t hurt. 

I used to play guitar but found that it really hurt my wrist. Sure that the pain would have went away over time but in my early 20's, I was too scatter brained to focus on that. 

Am about as big of a rock music fan as most will ever encounter. 200+ shows, 500+ albums on vinyl, 500 CD's, and about 2 TB of digital stuff. There is a time and place for almost every subgenre of rock music (Reggae being the exception)... at least for me there is. My favorites are 1. Simple Minds 2. Nine Inch Nails 3. Tool 4. Bauhaus and 5. Social Distortion. I can't really do it justice but a good intense rock song conjures up emotions in me that almost nothing else does. The only time that I am really outwardly expressive is at rock concerts. 

3 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

I used to play guitar but found that it really hurt my wrist. Sure that the pain would have went away over time but in my early 20's, I was too scatter brained to focus on that. 

Am about as big of a rock music fan as most will ever encounter. 200+ shows, 500+ albums on vinyl, 500 CD's, and about 2 TB of digital stuff. There is a time and place for almost every subgenre of rock music (Reggae being the exception)... at least for me there is. My favorites are 1. Simple Minds 2. Nine Inch Nails 3. Tool 4. Bauhaus and 5. Social Distortion. I can't really do it justice but a good intense rock song conjures up emotions in me that almost nothing else does. The only time that I am really outwardly expressive is at rock concerts. 

me too! My fingers were sore, My wrist hurt. I said hell with this. sold the guitar.

Just now, SootedUpCyndi said:

me too! My fingers were sore, My wrist hurt. I said hell with this. sold the guitar.

It does not help that I am 5'4" and just small in stature altogether. Yes, insert joke. 

Just now, impartialobserver said:

It does not help that I am 5'4" and just small in stature altogether. Yes, insert joke. 

ha ha ha:wub: I'M 5'2  95 LBS.  NO?  I cant joke. wont? LOL  seriously.  that's adorable.

1 minute ago, SootedUpCyndi said:

ha ha ha:wub: I'M 5'2  95 LBS.  NO?  I cant joke. wont? LOL  seriously.  that's adorable.

It did not help me in elementary school. Being short, round, and having the name of a certain short, stout character on "Christmas Carol"

1 minute ago, SootedUpCyndi said:

Biden would luv me? He would think he was feeling up a kid? I'm scared of sitting in the front seat of the car? Should I go get a car seat and sit in the back? what do you think?:)

4 minutes ago, SootedUpCyndi said:

Biden would luv me? He would think he was feeling up a kid? I'm scared of sitting in the front seat of the car? Should I go get a car seat and sit in the back? what do you think?:)

LOL... too funny. Reminds me of sitting on phone books in drivers training. 

Just now, impartialobserver said:

LOL... too funny. Reminds me of sitting on phone books in drivers training. 

I think an air bag may kill me. LOLOLOL:wub:

9 minutes ago, SootedUpCyndi said:

I think an air bag may kill me. LOLOLOL:wub:

Well, thanks for the laugh. 

Back to the topic. One reason that I am not a fan of the lockdown is that live music comes to a screeching halt. Have tix to shows in Las Vegas and El Paso that as of yet have not been cancelled. Crossing my fingers. 

7 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

Well, thanks for the laugh. 

Back to the topic. One reason that I am not a fan of the lockdown is that live music comes to a screeching halt. Have tix to shows in Las Vegas and El Paso that as of yet have not been cancelled. Crossing my fingers. 

good luck you shrimp?:wub:

4 hours ago, SootedUpCyndi said:

So I get his new doctor,his name is dr  Ladato, of course  I'm singing to my self? an old rock song... me o my o dr ladato? The guy comes in the room? He has a wool hat on his head? my eyes bug out?   bug out eyes? He's a VEGAN? I said sheet ?your as skinny as a rail? AFTER I bitched him out? which was fun?  I said look at you? he was like 5'4 70 lbs. I said you aren't a good example for me?  I need to GAIN weight?follow me so far? I want to gain weight? no big deal.  I said well doc. I really don't think it's healthy for me to be 85 lbs( at the time) he  tells me quote" it's ok? we skinny people will take over the  world. my eyes bugged out again? I looked at him wtf? he's cute but wtf? my.y chiro says feed the a hole some meat? we laughed. me and him r gonna take on the world? because we r both SO skinny? me and dr Da Lato.??? whah ha ha?

I would like to expand this to have members regularly include videos of what they're listening to these days...fer instance...

Imelda May just makes me nuts.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 9:35 PM, CommieSlayinGirl said:

I love rock (not the faggot shit that passes for rock nowadays, the real stuff),

Interesting choice of words when you consider how so much of modern day Rock is done by sexy chicks who twerk on stage:

GQRHhANLVesTJ3hv4cub_u43mFsGxpttVqAabCX5

Modern music is not all bad. However, like most humans we gravitate towards what we listened to in our youth. In my case, that was roughly 1986 to 2000. Most of the artists that I go out of my way to listen to were relevant during that time. My only issue with modern day music is it is frequently highly electronic and therefore the live product is nothing special. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 8:35 PM, CommieSlayinGirl said:

what are you guys into? 

I played in several bands when I was younger...and yes,  we were cool...and yes, I'm blowing my own horn.    😎

We played everything from Patsy Cline to Steely Dan...

Reelin' in the Years...we use to play all of this stuff, and a whole lot more.  I was blessed to be in a band with good musicians...I was kind of average-good, but I played my parts.  :)

It's obvious that the "studio version" of "Reelin' in the Years" was laid on top of this live video...

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 10:35 PM, CommieSlayinGirl said:

what are you guys into? 

Slayer , testament,  lamb of god , hellyeah, real shit.

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2020 at 1:01 PM, manhattantransfer said:

Interesting choice of words when you consider how so much of modern day Rock is done by sexy chicks who twerk on stage:

GQRHhANLVesTJ3hv4cub_u43mFsGxpttVqAabCX5

ZERO real rock is done by anyone twerking, and maybe like two chicks.