Sign in to follow this  
NeoConvict

What party platform plank do you disagree with?

I support most of the conservative agenda. Not a fan of abortion on demand. Believe in gun rights and religious liberties. Think all government is a required evil at best.

Where I part company with many conservatives is on the topic of criminal justice. I believe we incarcerate far too many people and that the prison industrial complex is antithetical to our nation's purported value of freedom. We incarcerate more citizens per capita than almost any other nation in the world. Also not a supporter of the death penalty. Far too many innocent people have been released after serving years of their lives on death row. A broken system should not have the power to kill citizens and the system is indeed broken. Not a fan of drug laws, prohibitions on prostitution and other meaningless forms of government censorship of behavior. We should use the money spent to lock up drug users to offer treatment to those that want it.

What party platforms do you disagree with?

• Upvote 1

I can't be the only one with significant disagreement with one of their parties platforms. 

2 hours ago, NeoConvict said:

I support most of the conservative agenda. Not a fan of abortion on demand. Believe in gun rights and religious liberties. Think all government is a required evil at best.

Where I part company with many conservatives is on the topic of criminal justice. I believe we incarcerate far too many people and that the prison industrial complex is antithetical to our nation's purported value of freedom. We incarcerate more citizens per capita than almost any other nation in the world. Also not a supporter of the death penalty. Far too many innocent people have been released after serving years of their lives on death row. A broken system should not have the power to kill citizens and the system is indeed broken. Not a fan of drug laws, prohibitions on prostitution and other meaningless forms of government censorship of behavior. We should use the money spent to lock up drug users to offer treatment to those that want it.

Pretty reasonable comments.

13 minutes ago, NeoConvict said:

I can't be the only one with significant disagreement with one of their parties platforms. 

Ok. This really isn't a platform issue. But here goes. I do believe in UNIONS. Republicans are not fond of unions in general. But unions gave us paid holidays, 40 hr work week, Better pay and health benefits. I also believe if a person is in a union, they should pay the dues. Other then that. I agree with most conservatives views.

I'm not against capital punishment for three-time-losers.

I mean, how many times can a guy be a victim of circumstances? Get a better class of friends already.

At some point a person needs to evaluate their own role in what happens to them.

Get 'im off death row, nome sane? (along with his fucking lawyer too).

That said, you make a good point that "A broken system..." shouldn't be making killshot decisions.

Is it an overburdened setup? I don't know... It does seem broken or at least bent a tad.

An analogy could be found in the crowded highway story:

The outlying neighborhoods aren't crowded because it takes too long to drive from the city.

To alleviate the busy highway, a freeway is constructed. The traffic flow is much improved.

So, people start buying up the outlying properties because they're easy to get to now.

.   .   .   Result is that the roads are crowded again and the problem never really goes away for long.

So, are the crowded prisons the result of people doing what they want? Lawyers? Laws?

Are crowded neighborhoods the result of people living where they want? Accessibility due to good roads? Congested, overpriced cities?

What is "broken" in these cycles?

Do we merely lower the threshold for what keeps people in prison? Viola! Lots of free space (cells).

Then, lots of fucked up people spill over the newly lowered threshold back onto the streets.

People will cite many examples of a crime-ridden society and the threshold goes back up...

2 minutes ago, SootedUpCyndi said:

Ok. This really isn't a platform issue. But here goes. I do believe in UNIONS. Republicans are not fond of unions in general. But unions gave us paid holidays, 40 hr work week, Better pay and health benefits. I also believe if a person is in a union, they should pay the dues. Other then that. I agree with most conservatives views.

I think unions started out on a good platform...but like so many things the money corrupted union leaders.

They have union members go on strike which can cause a lot of loss, but the union bosses usually have million$ to fall back on so they don't suffer like the union workers do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SootedUpCyndi said:

Depends on the union.

Lots of corruption can be found in that nest...

Great! Then you really are a liberal after all! LOL!

1 minute ago, deezer shoove said:

So, are the crowded prisons the result of people doing what they want? Lawyers? Laws?

Think incarnation is primarily driven by a pointless war on drugs and the fact jailing people has built itself into a profitable industry. Our laws are based on centuries of legal precedent and unapproachable by laymen. We need to completely overhaul the system, simplify it. As it stands our complex and conflicting series of laws isn't well serving the needs of the people. 

1 minute ago, deezer shoove said:

Depends on the union.

Lots of corruption can be found in that nest...

I agree. But look at big Business too. That spans both parties. Corporate raiders that come in. Take over, melt down the company. Destroy it  and take off with a huge severance.

5 minutes ago, roadkill said:

I think unions started out on a good platform...but like so many things the money corrupted union leaders.

They have union members go on strike which can cause a lot of loss, but the union bosses usually have million$ to fall back on so they don't suffer like the union workers do.

Jimmy Hoffa dissapeared for a reason!

9 minutes ago, SootedUpCyndi said:

Most of us are ok with the OPPORTUNITY to unionize in private companies. I agree with FDR and his assessment that government unions are not a good thing for the obvious reason that there is an inherent conflict of interests.

Also not a "platform issue" per se, but the spending at the federal level is out of control (even more so now with the current circumstances) and Republicans have done little to slow it down despite their rhetoric over the years.

3 minutes ago, NeoConvict said:

Think incarnation is primarily driven by a pointless war on drugs and the fact jailing people has built itself into a profitable industry. Our laws are based on centuries of legal precedent and unapproachable by laymen. We need to completely overhaul the system, simplify it. As it stands our complex and conflicting series of laws isn't well serving the needs of the people. 

Clap! Clap! There are times when you make sense!

But you will still pull the R lever! Even tho they are against what you said!

2 minutes ago, nuckin futz said:

Jimmy Hoffa dissapeared for a reason!

I think it was magic.   :)

1 minute ago, nuckin futz said:

Yer dumb enough to think the dems give a shit about you.   lol

Just now, nuckin futz said:

Do you agree with the Democratic party platform 100%? Yet still you pull the D lever?

Wasn't that the point of the OP?

1 minute ago, NeoConvict said:

For some people, you are absolutely correct. Others trafficking in drugs need two to the head.

I don't see people compartmentalizing drugs, junkies, zoners, "free spirits", victimless crimes, etc. very well.

Inevitably the arguments become governmental overreach, "my body" tripe, etc.

Ironic since dems (libs) WANT government overreach concerning a virus but not addiction. 😎

Just now, superds77 said:

Do you agree with the Democratic party platform 100%? Yet still you pull the D lever?

Wasn't that the point of the OP?

I don't always vote Dem. There are times I wont vote for any candidate.

1 minute ago, nuckin futz said:

So you do sometimes vote democrat. Do you agree 100% with the positions when you do?

6 minutes ago, superds77 said:

So you do sometimes vote democrat. Do you agree 100% with the positions when you do?

Of course not!

11 minutes ago, nuckin futz said:

2 minutes ago, nuckin futz said:

Of course not!

I voted Reagan,  Perot, sat out the Bush vrs Gore. Couldn't stand either of them. Then Trump. I left an election out.

Just now, king of the county said:

I disagree with the Chinese communist party platform 

You vote Chinese?

7 minutes ago, king of the county said:

I disagree with the Chinese communist party platform 

Where, pray tell, did you find the Chinese Communist Party platform? I sense that your  skills at reading Chinese are nil, and you are just being a smartass.

The Chinese Communist Party runs unopposed in elections and the platform is hardly necessary.