Why are we paying for criminals to sit in a jail or prison cell?

I understand why we keep violent criminals locked up. However, what about the non-violent offenders? We say that they are paying a debt to society. WTF? How is that? We are the ones forking money out to take care of them in a cell. They can't make any money sitting in a cell, so what debt to society are they paying exactly? Also, why would they owe 'society?' Shouldn't any debt they owe be to their victims only? If their offense did nothing to violate anyone else, then why exactly do they have a debt to me or anyone else? 

3 minutes ago, Vegas said:

I understand why we keep violent criminals locked up. However, what about the non-violent offenders? We say that they are paying a debt to society. WTF? How is that? We are the ones forking money out to take care of them in a cell. They can't make any money sitting in a cell, so what debt to society are they paying exactly? Also, why would they owe 'society?' Shouldn't any debt they owe be to their victims only? If their offense did nothing to violate anyone else, then why exactly do they have a debt to me or anyone else? 

Hello, Vegas.

I made my 1st trip to Las Vegas in a 1970 convertible Mustang.  I stole it from my father, $2000, and a bottle of Jack Daniels.

I was soooooooo wild.  I had a pocket full of false I.D.   I got drunk.  I got laid.  I knew my father would forgive me.  (and he did).

But the entire town...……...seduced me.  I love Las Vegas.

Fast forward to 2008.    Poker-Stars.    Online poker.     I won a tournament.   

1st place  =  A seat at the Main Event.  No limit Texas Hold'em.     There were 6700 players that year. 

1600 were PokerStar boys.  I was one of the PokerStar boys.  I played the Main Event WSOP,...... in 2008.

Dreams......can come true.

I thought you might like that tid-bit of information.                      🤠...🥃

11 minutes ago, Taipan said:

Hello, Vegas.

I made my 1st trip to Las Vegas in a 1970 convertible Mustang.  I stole it from my father, $2000, and a bottle of Jack Daniels.

I was soooooooo wild.  I had a pocket full of false I.D.   I got drunk.  I got laid.  I knew my father would forgive me.  (and he did).

But the entire town...……...seduced me.  I love Las Vegas.

Fast forward to 2008.    Poker-Stars.    Online poker.     I won a tournament.   

1st place  =  A seat at the Main Event.  No limit Texas Hold'em.     There were 6700 players that year. 

1600 were PokerStar boys.  I was one of the PokerStar boys.  I played the Main Event WSOP,...... in 2008.

Dreams......can come true.

I thought you might like that tid-bit of information.                      🤠...🥃

Cool man. If you are down here again, give me a pm here. 

12 hours ago, Vegas said:

Good point! clap clap! Liberals all agree with you! hahahha

Its a waste of $$ to incarcerate folks for 'victimless crimes'!

5 minutes ago, nuckin futz said:

Good point! clap clap! Liberals all agree with you! hahahha

Its a waste of $$ to incarcerate folks for 'victimless crimes'!

There are definitely victims from their crimes: car theft, property destruction, stealing money, identity theft, credit card fraud or any type of a fraud...ect...but these crimes committed should be between the criminal and the victim only. The law should keep them accountable to make sure the victim's lives have been restored as much as possible, but tax payers shouldnt be involved. 

12 hours ago, Vegas said:

Europeans actually try to rehabilitate criminals and are far more successful at it. But rehabilitation costs money NOW, and the results of not paying for it costs LATER, after the senator/ Representative is no longer in that office, and the results of recidivism might be paid by voters in some other district or state.

30 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

Europeans actually try to rehabilitate criminals and are far more successful at it. But rehabilitation costs money NOW, and the results of not paying for it costs LATER, after the senator/ Representative is no longer in that office, and the results of recidivism might be paid by voters in some other district or state.

Why should European tax payers for rehabilitation?  There are two questions that are important to answer:

1. How does a criminal pay a debt to society when they are sitting in a cell that we are paying for? We are paying their debt, not them.

2. Why do they have a debt to society to begin with? There are two parties involved- the criminals and the victims. Their crime was not against me, you, or anyone else in society, so why do they owe us anything?  

2 minutes ago, Vegas said:

Then let them pay for their own stupid cell.

I agree a lot of non-violent offender should not be in jail BUT where do you draw the line ?

As I stated here before...to me selling hard drugs; particular crack / smack is a crime of violence.

Anyhow...they let a lot of people out on house arrest and the offenders have to pay for it. And I think it will increase in the future.

I was once sentenced to 30 days in the County Jail and they told me I could do it under house arrest. I told them no because I could never stay that long so I would just end up in more trouble. They tried their best to talk me to go for it and in the end they cut my time to (like) 2 weeks.

1 minute ago, Old Mack said:

I agree a lot of non-violent offender should not be in jail BUT where do you draw the line ?

As I stated here before...to me selling hard drugs; particular crack / smack is a crime of violence.

Anyhow...they let a lot of people out on house arrest and the offenders have to pay for it. And I think it will increase in the future.

I was once sentenced to 30 days in the County Jail and they told me I could do it under house arrest. I told them no because I could never stay that long so I would just end up in more trouble. They tried their best to talk me to go for it and in the end they cut my time to (like) 2 weeks.

It's a good question. I have not figured out what constitutes a 'violent crime.' However, any non-violent crime that occurs between two or more people should be settled between those two parties alone.  House arrest does nothing to restore the victim's hardships. It just inconveniences the criminal. Nothing more.

14 hours ago, Vegas said:

So, Bernie Madoff should never have been locked up?

Just now, Skans said:

So, Bernie Madoff should never have been locked up?

No. He should find a way to restore his victims. They currently only get 60 cents to the dollar back from him. How can he try and recoup that extra 40 cents, and then some, in a prison? Him being in a prison costs him time that he will never get back in life. However, the victims don't get extra time he lost added on to their lives. How do the victims get restored from him doing nothing?

3 minutes ago, Vegas said:

No. He should find a way to restore his victims. They currently only get 60 cents to the dollar back from him. How can he try and recoup that extra 40 cents, and then some, in a prison? Him being in a prison costs him time that he will never get back in life. However, the victims don't get extra time he lost added on to their lives. How do the victims get restored from him doing nothing?

Yes, but that is contrary to your OP.  Bernie Madoff is not now and was never a violent man.  So, some non-violent criminals should be released from prison; but others who pose no threat to anybody must remain.  I find that rather inconsistent and somewhat hypocritical.

9 minutes ago, Skans said:

Yes, but that is contrary to your OP.  Bernie Madoff is not now and was never a violent man.  So, some non-violent criminals should be released from prison; but others who pose no threat to anybody must remain.  I find that rather inconsistent and somewhat hypocritical.

Where are you getting that? Read my OP carefully. I said non-violent offenders should not be jailed. You asked me if Madooff should be jailed. I said no.

5 minutes ago, Vegas said:

Where are you getting that? Read my OP carefully. I said non-violent offenders should not be jailed. You asked me if Madooff should be jailed. I said no.

Ok, I misread your last post.   My misunderstanding.

15 hours ago, Vegas said:

Why are we paying for asylum seekers to be in concentration camps?

30 minutes ago, Annoyed Liberall said:

The incarceration rate for non violent crimes is to enrich the for profit prison system.

Where else are they going to get slave labor?

I don't think any non violent offender should be locked up.

Violent offenders only. Take them out of society entirely.

You are the only true liberal left in this beloved country. True liberals are going extinct. These days, liberals and leftist are the same thanks to Obama. You need to procreate to keep them from going extinct. Start fucking more.

4 minutes ago, Vegas said:

You are the only true liberal left in this beloved country. True liberals are going extinct. These days, liberals and leftist are the same thanks to Obama. You need to procreate to keep them from going extinct. Start fucking more.

My tubes have been tied since I was 23 years old!

I will fuck more, but not for procreation! lol