DUNE

Imgreatagain

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite SF book of all time.   And I think that the original movie (the one with Sting) was underrated.  The TV series... only so-so.  I read the book twice.   First several years before I watched the movie, and again after.  So that was about 35 years ago.  I can try to answer any questions, but I'm not sure my memory will serve me right.

But I'm looking forward to the new release.

Just now, RichardFeynmanLives said:

My favorite SF book of all time.   And I think that the original movie (the one with Sting) was underrated.  The TV series... only so-so.  I read the book twice.   First several years before I watched the movie, and again after.  So that was about 35 years ago.  I can try to answer any questions, but I'm not sure my memory will serve me right.

But I'm looking forward to the new release.

I have tried to watch it several times. It is complicated. Someone sent me links to help understand it.. it’s a process. 
I’m determined. 

17 minutes ago, Imgreatagain said:

I have tried to watch it several times. It is complicated. Someone sent me links to help understand it.. it’s a process. 
I’m determined. 

It's sort of a "cult" movie.   I'm not sure I would've understood some of it before reading the book.    It's a huge book.  It has maps, and family trees and even a geological history of Arrakis.  Difficult to summarize in just one movie.   Though I thought they did a good job of capturing the relevant aspects.   Maybe if you watch the 2000 TV series.  It might be available somewhere.   It wasn't as great, but it's longer so it probably covers more detail.