Nexus

Trump has a personal financial interest in the company that makes the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine

This is my surprised face 😐 

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=104aa3abb9fec8b4d037ed51d&id=f2711ef750&e=acdc72463a

Trump and his family trusts are all invested in a mutual fund that features Sanofi as its largest holding. Sanofi makes Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and other associates of Trump are also invested in the pharmaceutical manufacturer. Trump, meanwhile, has repeatedly ignored the advice of doctors and public health experts, who have warned him against promoting the drug due to the lack of evidence supporting its effectiveness.

29 minutes ago, Nexus said:

This is my surprised face 😐 

You're right.  No surprise there.  Along with other corrupt, self-serving practices, Trump treats the presidency as a profit making business.

9 hours ago, bludog said:

You're right.  No surprise there.  Along with other corrupt, self-serving practices, Trump treats the presidency as a profit making business.

Absolutely. And he's doubling down on, openly claiming its a "miracle cure'

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/07/829302545/trump-tells-the-story-of-a-miracle-cure-for-covid-19-but-was-it

How do you know when an experimental drug is working? For scientists, that answer only comes from carefully controlled clinical trials.

For President Trump, such trials aren't something he wants to wait on before promoting such a drug.

At Tuesday's White House coronavirus task force briefing, Trump told the story of a woman from Michigan who was sick with COVID-19 — a story he had seen on television the night before.

"She was just in horrible shape for 12 days, 14 days," Trump said. "She thought she was dead." The president said she implored her husband to obtain hydroxychloroquine, and the husband did so.

"Four hours later, she awoke and she said, I feel better," Trump recalled. "And then, shortly thereafter, she felt great."

"The way she spoke," Trump said, "it was like a miracle. And this was not a fan of mine, but she's a fan of my now."

The story even brings up a question: How did the 'dying woman's" husband rush out get the Potion of Cure disease...without a prescription/ where did he get the prescription?

I've all ready heard Trump supporters taking Trump having 'found the cure', oblivious to the fact he hasn't mentioned its dangerous, potentially lethal side effects and as these recent revelations suggest he and his might be getting their beaks wet from the sale of the drug. 

Mayo Clinic cardiologist: 'Inexcusable' to ignore hydroxychloroquine side effects

As the U.S. scales up purchase and use of the drug hydroxychloroquine to treat coronavirus patients, a leading Mayo Clinic cardiologist is sounding a warning: Anyone promoting the drug also needs to flag its rare but serious — and potentially fatal — side effects.

President Donald Trump has repeatedly touted the potential benefits of hydroxychloroquine, which has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration to treat malaria, lupus and other autoimmune ailments but hasn't yet been proven effective and safe in treating the coronavirus.

While, fortunately, the lethal side effects appear to be care the potential to kill people for, essentially nothing is there including the risks of people delaying known medical treatment for Trump's snake oil and increased difficulty for folks that need the drug for what its approved for from getting it. But going by precedent, none of this will really stick to Trump and, if by some wonderful chance. the drug does prove to be effective he'll get credit like it whipped it up himself. 

For all he's mocked (including by me) Trump has done some major damage and inflicted changes on the government, society even that are going to last awhile. He's shaped it far more than its shaped him as some people seemed to help and turned the US government into a profiteering/ego gratification engine like his criminal organization/family business Heck, even now he's basically setting himself and his cohorts to have 2 trillion dollar of tax payer money to play with. 

Shocking.  :rolleyes:  Trump cares ONLY about Trump.  If he's going on and on and on about any one treatment, there is little doubt that he (or some crony close to him) has a financial stake or interest in that medication.    

The medication has shown promise in some patients, however it has also known to have extreme side effects in people with heart issues.  This is no medication to take without a thorough battery of cardiac testing done first.  A patient can be a bad fit for this medication and not even realize it.  Trump is showing extremely poor judgement (so what else is new?) pimping this drug.

3 hours ago, Nexus said:

The story even brings up a question: How did the 'dying woman's" husband rush out get the Potion of Cure disease...without a prescription/ where did he get the prescription?

Yes.  Trump is playing on people's fears, pushing them to bypass normal logic, in their panic for a cure. 

3 hours ago, Nexus said:

But going by precedent, none of this will really stick to Trump and, if by some wonderful chance. the drug does prove to be effective he'll get credit like it whipped it up himself

Demagogues like Trump depend on the ignorant and unaware to push their self-enriching agendas.  Trump has publicly said "I love the poorly educated".

3 hours ago, Nexus said:

Trump's snake oil

Yup.  That's the word which comes to mind.  In an earlier time, Trump could easily have been a snake oil salesman.  And hopefully, the townspeople would have tarred and feathered him and ridden him out on a rail.  It's too bad we can't do that today.

3 hours ago, Nexus said:

For all he's mocked (including by me) Trump has done some major damage and inflicted changes on the government, society even that are going to last awhile. He's shaped it far more than its shaped him as some people seemed to help and turned the US government into a profiteering/ego gratification engine like his criminal organization/family business Heck, even now he's basically setting himself and his cohorts to have 2 trillion dollar of tax payer money to play with. 

He's already started:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/03/trump-on-usd500-billion-slush-fund-ill-be-the-oversight.html

Trump on GOP’s $500 Billion Slush Fund: ‘I’ll Be the Oversight’

And in addition to further enriching the Trump family at the expense of the people, Trump will use some of this fund to reward those loyal to him and withhold from his perceived enemies. 

What a surprise that the Con-Man in Chief is doing this once again. 

My question is why isn't the MSM holding him accountable for this? 

The MSM is helping the Trump Presidency and Re-Election efforts by not making more of a push to call this out. 

People on the top of these companies do not care who wins in November, since Joe and Trump will both let them keep there POWER that is all they care about is there POWER and money. The MSM has once again helped the interests of the people on top and corporations, why can we not just have a media that is a voice for all people not just the rich and powerful. 

This is definitely a conflict of interest. 

My biggest concern is will a Biden administration allow him to get away with this garbage once hes a private citizen or will he have AG Harris go after him with both barrels. This country will not survive 4 more years of this crooked bastard in the white house let alone another pos like him in the future, Biden has to have him found accountable for all his crimes against the United states even if he never winds up in a jail cell his legacy needs to be accurate.

Well this explains why one channel is showing Mini-rallys, at least in part. This administration strong arms more than the mob

mob.. 

Pence blocked public health officials from appearing on CNN until the network agreed to carry the daily White House coronavirus briefings in their entirety. Pence’s office later reversed course, allowing for the booking of CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield, Dr. Anthony Fauci, and Dr. Deborah Birx. CNN and other networks frequently air only the first portion of the daily briefings live – the part that is typically led by Trump – before returning to their news anchors during the second half of the briefing. 

Everyone probably saw this coming, knowing the ego driven narcissist that isTrump, he was going to turn on Dr. Fauchi eventually, when his opinion and reality conflicct not only must reality bend but all his minions must agree. But we got confirmation that Fachi's bus is likely coming around the corner. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-trump-fire-fauci-twitter_n_5e93c0c6c5b6ac981512de71

5 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Everyone probably saw this coming,

It's a travesty of all that is food and decent.  Dr Fauchi is a national treasure.  Trump is a shabby con artist, and now, mass-murderer by proxy, who will go down in history as the worst president ever.

23 hours ago, bludog said:

It's a travesty of all that is food and decent.  Dr Fauchi is a national treasure.  Trump is a shabby con artist, and now, mass-murderer by proxy, who will go down in history as the worst president ever.

I agree with this I thought George W would go down as the worse, but Trump has made him look like a golden child.

Donald J Trump is probably the worst president in American history--definitely the worst president in the lifetime of any member of this forum and his ethics are non-existent. He's venal and absolutely corrupt.

That said, the charge that he's promoting hydroxychloroquine out of some self-dealing financial interest is a canard. It's not so.

Trump has a very tiny stake in Sanofi through an indirect investment in a diversified fund. Vox estimates the value of his investment at $450.

There are plenty of ground to criticise Donald J Trump. This is not one of them.

Bill

22 minutes ago, SpyCar said:

Donald J Trump is probably the worst president in American history--definitely the worst president in the lifetime of any member of this forum and his ethics are non-existent. His venal and absolutely corrupt.

That said, the charge that he's promoting hydroxychloroquine out of some self-dealing financial interest is a canard. It's not so.

Trump has a very tiny stake in Sanofi through an indirect investment in a diversified fund. Vox estimates the value of his investment at $450.

There are plenty of ground to criticise Donald J Trump. This is not one of them.

Bill

Welcome back! I was all alone here.

23 minutes ago, JeanMoulin said:

Welcome back! I was all alone here.

Not anymore.

Thanks!

Let's revitalize this place, shall we?

Bill

The ripple effects of the President pushing (likely) snake oil are more worrisome than his possible financial benefits. Even folks that should know are affected. 

The CIA has advised its workforce that taking an anti-malarial drug touted by Trump for the coronavirus has potentially dangerous side effects, including sudden death.

A CIA website for employees about the coronavirus addressed the topic on March 27, noting “At this point, the drug is not recommended to be used by patients except by medical professionals prescribing it as part of ongoing investigational studies. There are potentially significant side effects, including sudden cardiac death, associated with hydroxychloroquine and its individual use in patients need to be carefully selected and monitored by a health care professional,” adding in bold type: “Please do not obtain this medication on your own.”

Whether hydroxychloroquine is efficacious (or not) is the real issue here, not the tiny amount of profit Trump might gain on his investment. Hydroxychloroquine appears to have some nasty side-effects (even death) so seeing Trump flacking the treatment with scant evidence is unsettling (to say the least).

The guy is a whackjob. This is not normal behavior for a president.

Every American hopes for a cure and for effective treatments. I'd be far happier to learn Trump's hunch proved correct and that hydroxychloroquine (alone or in a cocktail) showed itself to be safe and effective, but that's all speculation now. What he's doing is reckless and unscientific.

This is not how American presidents ought to behave.

Bill

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-15/hyped-malaria-pill-doesn-t-help-clear-coronavirus-in-study

Hydroxychloroquine, the 65-year-old malaria drug that President Donald Trump has praised, appeared not to help patients get rid of the pathogen in a small study.

The pill didn’t help patients clear the virus better than standard care and was much more likely to cause side effects, according to a study of 150 hospitalized patients by doctors at 16 centers in China. The research, which hasn’t been peer-reviewed, was released Tuesday.
The drug did help alleviate some clinical symptoms of Covid-19, however, and the patients who took it showed a greater drop in C-reactive protein, a measure of inflammation.
- snip -
“When testing new treatments, we are looking for signals that show that they might be effective before proceeding to larger studies,” said Allen Cheng, an infectious diseases physician and a professor of epidemiology at Melbourne’s Monash University. “This study doesn’t show any signal, so it is probably unlikely that it will be of clinical benefit.”
- snip -

The bloom is officially off the rose of Trump's dream drug. Recent trials by the VA have shown no real positive benefit to it and administrating it may have precipitated some deaths. Trun\mp himself denied even hearing about the study and asserted that there'd been positive results on other unnamed studies. The secretary of the VA later appeared on a morning show and danced around contending directly with Trump's assertions, eventually settling on that it "aspirational" and that he was okay with Trump mentioning and boosting it in that way and implied other vague positive results. 

The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases recommends against using a combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin for the treatment of COVID-19 patients because of potential toxicities despite  Trump's suggest that the combination might be helpful.

The Secretary's dancing act was probably warranted to save his job, if not by most sense of ethics given what happened to the former head of research for a Covid vaccine when he dared question the Orange Overlord   Rick Bright is pursuing Whistle Blower protections in light of his sudden demotion. When asked about this during a recent Press Rally Trump, of course, dened ever hearing the man or his demotion. 

In fact, Trump himself appears to be brushing his snake oil. When questioned about a recent study that registered no positive benefits and perhaps increased death, When questioned about this he responded: “I don’t know of the report. Obviously, there have been some very good reports, and perhaps this one is not a good report. But we’ll be looking at it.”  Not quite a full-throated rebuke or his usual whiplash inducing 180 but an attempt to walk back his earlier claims that it was a Panacea though it  referred to those positive results from some again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nexus said:

In fact, Trump himself appears to be brushing his snake oil. When questioned about a recent study that registered no positive benefits and perhaps increased death, When questioned about this he responded: “I don’t know of the report. Obviously, there have been some very good reports, and perhaps this one is not a good report. But we’ll be looking at it.”  Not quite a full-throated rebuke or his usual whiplash inducing 180 but an attempt to walk back his earlier claims that it was a Panacea though it  referred to those positive results from some again.

He can never say something without rebuking it at a later point. 

Seriously watching one of his press conferences is very difficult, the only reason I watch sometimes is for the experts advice like Dr.Fauci. 

Just wait though Dr. Fauci will say something Trump doesn't like and he will end up firing him.  

He makes Trump look small and helpless through this whole crisis i'm glad that we have someone like Fauci leading this COVID-19 pandemic. 

If not we would have already re-opened as a country and had a second wave of cases..... which still might happen if Trump decides to pressure governors to do so. 

• Like 1

Looks like Trump has embraced some snake oil/quackery, even more dangerous and insane than the last. Here it is from him directly since you might think I was nuts if I just told you, heck I wasn't sure I heard him right. 

Trump's sycophants seem to fall for anything this painted-faced, fake-haired snake oil salesman pitches to them ...  As long as he's on the side of the Devil, Guns and Fetuses, they love his parasitic, confused ass, like he was their own pimp.  Fixed News will make sure Americans still support him after he murders his first innocent victim on Fifth Avenue !   Not to mention all the victims of COVID19, due to Trump's foot-dragging.

2 hours ago, Nexus said:

Looks like Trump has embraced some snake oil/quackery, even more dangerous and insane than the last. Here it is from him directly since you might think I was nuts if I just told you, heck I wasn't sure I heard him right. 

And the funny thing?  Trump's popularity probably won't take a hit.  It might even go up.  It's the probably the shooting on Fifth Avenue effect.

4 hours ago, bludog said:

Trump's sycophants seem to fall for anything this painted-faced, fake-haired snake oil salesman pitches to them ...  As long as he's on the side of the Devil, Guns and Fetuses, they love his parasitic, confused ass, like he was their own pimp.  Fixed News will make sure Americans still support him after he murders his first innocent victim on Fifth Avenue !   Not to mention all the victims of COVID19, due to Trump's foot-dragging.

And the funny thing?  Trump's popularity probably won't take a hit.  It might even go up.  It's the probably the shooting on Fifth Avenue effect.

Its amazing how such a blindingly obviously childish and willfully ignorant man in so admired. even admired by so many but here we are. Friends of mine on Twitter where actually busy talking people down from injecting or drinking rubbing alcohol last night. O.o 

Trump's explained himself. When speaking to the press pool at the bill signing today,  he clarified that he was being 'sarcastic'. Well about injecting disinfectant part, but administering UV is still a possibility. Right....

The leader of an organization called Genesis II Church of Health and Healing told Trump that chlorine dioxide – a lethal industrial bleach – “can rid the body of COVID-19” days before Trump promoted disinfectant as a treatment.

In his letter, Mark Grenon, an “archbishop” of Genesis II, told Trump that chlorine dioxide is “a wonderful detox that can kill 99% of the pathogens in the body.” Since the start of the pandemic, Genesis II has been marketing his “miracle mineral solution” as a cure to coronavirus, advising users, including children, to mix three to six drops of bleach in water and drink it. Last week, the Justice Department granted a temporary injunction to halt the sale of industrial bleach products by Genesis II, which was also marketing it as a cure for autism and AIDS.