Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AnotherJim

Great Aircraft - Feel Free To Contribute

Recommended Posts

I always loved this plane. Brutally powerful; and it could take unbelievable beatings. Sometimes heading home with cylinders blown off the Wasp Radial; and still flying. The Republic P-47 Thunderbolt was a World War II era fighter aircraft produced by the United States from 1941 through 1945. Its primary armament was eight .50-caliber machine guns and in the fighter-bomber ground-attack role it could carry five-inch rockets or a bomb load of 2,500 pounds (1,103 kg). Sep 1 2019

Republic P-47 Thunderbolt - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org
c1f33037cb7d2aaae4c8e5d7dd94c273f1dfc9a7.jpeg

Republic P-47 Thunderbolt

The Republic P-47 Thunderbolt was a World War II era fighter aircraft produced by the United States from 1941 through 1945. Its primary armament was eight .50-caliber machine guns, and in the fighter-bomber ground-attack role it could carry five-inch rockets or a bomb load of 2,500 pounds (1,103 kg). When fully loaded, the P-47 weighed up to eight tons, making it one of the heaviest fighters of the war. The P-47 was designed around the powerful Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp engine, which w...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my favorites of WWII was the Lockheed P-38 Lightning.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_P-38_Lightning

- snip -

Along with its use as a general fighter, the P-38 was utilized in various aerial combat roles including as a highly effective fighter-bomber[7], a night fighter[8], and as a long-range escort fighter when equipped with drop tanks.[9] The P-38 was also used as a bomber-pathfinder, guiding streams of medium and heavy bombers; or even other P-38s, equipped with bombs, to their targets.[10][11] Used in the aerial reconnaissance role, the P-38 would account for 90 percent of the aerial film captured over Europe. [12][13]

- snip -

The P-38 was used most successfully in the Pacific Theater of Operations and the China-Burma-India Theater of Operations as the aircraft of America's top aces, Richard Bong (40 victories), Thomas McGuire (38 victories) and Charles H. MacDonald (27 victories). In the South West Pacific theater, the P-38 was the primary long-range fighter of United States Army Air Forces until the introduction of large numbers of P-51D Mustangs toward the end of the war.[14][15]

- snip -

 

Marion, Indiana, USA - September 3, 2016: Fly In Cruise In, P-38 Lightning performing a low level fly past Stock Photo - 117155196

 

P-38J Lightning in flight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bludog said:

One of my favorites of WWII was the Lockheed P-38 Lightning.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_P-38_Lightning

- snip -

Along with its use as a general fighter, the P-38 was utilized in various aerial combat roles including as a highly effective fighter-bomber[7], a night fighter[8], and as a long-range escort fighter when equipped with drop tanks.[9] The P-38 was also used as a bomber-pathfinder, guiding streams of medium and heavy bombers; or even other P-38s, equipped with bombs, to their targets.[10][11] Used in the aerial reconnaissance role, the P-38 would account for 90 percent of the aerial film captured over Europe. [12][13]

- snip -

The P-38 was used most successfully in the Pacific Theater of Operations and the China-Burma-India Theater of Operations as the aircraft of America's top aces, Richard Bong (40 victories), Thomas McGuire (38 victories) and Charles H. MacDonald (27 victories). In the South West Pacific theater, the P-38 was the primary long-range fighter of United States Army Air Forces until the introduction of large numbers of P-51D Mustangs toward the end of the war.[14][15]

- snip -

 

Marion, Indiana, USA - September 3, 2016: Fly In Cruise In, P-38 Lightning performing a low level fly past Stock Photo - 117155196

 

P-38J Lightning in flight

Twin boom, very very stable in the air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AnotherJim said:

I always loved this plane. Brutally powerful; and it could take unbelievable beatings. Sometimes heading home with cylinders blown off the Wasp Radial; and still flying. The Republic P-47 Thunderbolt was a World War II era fighter aircraft produced by the United States from 1941 through 1945. Its primary armament was eight .50-caliber machine guns and in the fighter-bomber ground-attack role it could carry five-inch rockets or a bomb load of 2,500 pounds (1,103 kg). Sep 1 2019

Republic P-47 Thunderbolt - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org

c1f33037cb7d2aaae4c8e5d7dd94c273f1dfc9a7.jpeg

Republic P-47 Thunderbolt

The Republic P-47 Thunderbolt was a World War II era fighter aircraft produced by the United States from 1941 through 1945. Its primary armament was eight .50-caliber machine guns, and in the fighter-bomber ground-attack role it could carry five-inch rockets or a bomb load of 2,500 pounds (1,103 kg). When fully loaded, the P-47 weighed up to eight tons, making it one of the heaviest fighters of the war. The P-47 was designed around the powerful Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp engine, which w...

 

 

 

 

The P-47 was nearly indestructible with fearsome firepower.  The North American Aviation P-51 Mustang replaced both the Thunderbolt and the Lightning, for long range bomber escort over Germany.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another great fighter for use off aircraft carriers was the Navy's Vought F4U-1A Corsair. 

An initial problem with the Corsair was that pilots could not see the deck prior to landing, leading to many accidents.  The Brits solved that problem by approaching at an angle until the last few seconds, losing sight of the deck only briefly.  After that, the US Navy made extensive use of this excellent fighter/bomber.

Image result for vought corsair images

Boxart Vought F4U-1A Corsair 60775 Tamiya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bludog said:

One of my favorites of WWII was the Lockheed P-38 Lightning.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_P-38_Lightning

- snip -

Along with its use as a general fighter, the P-38 was utilized in various aerial combat roles including as a highly effective fighter-bomber[7], a night fighter[8], and as a long-range escort fighter when equipped with drop tanks.[9] The P-38 was also used as a bomber-pathfinder, guiding streams of medium and heavy bombers; or even other P-38s, equipped with bombs, to their targets.[10][11] Used in the aerial reconnaissance role, the P-38 would account for 90 percent of the aerial film captured over Europe. [12][13]

- snip -

The P-38 was used most successfully in the Pacific Theater of Operations and the China-Burma-India Theater of Operations as the aircraft of America's top aces, Richard Bong (40 victories), Thomas McGuire (38 victories) and Charles H. MacDonald (27 victories). In the South West Pacific theater, the P-38 was the primary long-range fighter of United States Army Air Forces until the introduction of large numbers of P-51D Mustangs toward the end of the war.[14][15]

- snip -

 

Marion, Indiana, USA - September 3, 2016: Fly In Cruise In, P-38 Lightning performing a low level fly past Stock Photo - 117155196

 

P-38J Lightning in flight

I love the mustang

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bludog said:

 

 

 

 

The P-47 was nearly indestructible with fearsome firepower.  The North American Aviation P-51 Mustang replaced both the Thunderbolt and the Lightning, for long range bomber escort over Germany.

P-47 pilots said, they could hear the low caliber German rounds bouncing off the armored cockpit. Story goes, a P-47 dropped from cloud cover and was face to face with 5 or 6 German fighter planes. He goes into a power dive, pulls out, taking some treetops off, and back up into cloud cover. Comes out behind the Germans. Eight .50 calibers in the wings. Do the math. 

There are twenty-one gaping holes and jagged tears in the metal from exploding 20mm cannon shells. I'm still standing in one place when my count of bullet holes reaches past a hundred; there's no use even trying to add them all. The Thunderbolt is literally a sieve, holes through the wings, fuselage and tail. Every square foot, it seems is covered with holes. There are five holes in the propeller. Three 20mm cannon shells burst against the armor plate, a scant inch away from my head. Five cannon shell holes in the right wing; four in the left wing. Two cannon shells blasted away the lower half of my rudder. One shell exploded in the cockpit, next to my left hand; this is the blast that ripped away the flap handle. More holes appeared along the fuselage and in the tail. Behind the cockpit, the metal is twisted and curled; this had jammed the canopy, trapping me inside.

The airplane had done her best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

C-130 Hercules

nicknamed the angel of death from the angel wing pattern  

 

Image result for b52 fring off flares

 

 here is some nice footage of the event 

 

  

 another 

 

Image result for c130 aircraft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rrober49 said:

C-130 Hercules

nicknamed the angel of death from the angel wing pattern  

 

Image result for b52 fring off flares

 

 here is some nice footage of the event 

 

  

 another 

 

Image result for c130 aircraft

I believe the B 58 Hustler could do 21 miles a minute. In 1959.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  A friend of my fathers had to bail out of his plane over Germany in the dead of winter  lost both his legs to frostbite

 

 

One of most famous B-17 damage photos from WWII where its tail miraculously stay put . . .

One of most famous B-17 damage photos from WWII where its tail miraculously stay put . . .

That almost completey severed B-17 tail - still flying

That above almost completely severed B-17 tail ship – still able to fly

B-17 with major flak hit over Germany in 1944

B-17 with major flak hit over Germany in 1944

B-17G after raid on Cologne Germany WWII

B-17G after raid on Cologne Germany WWII

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Vought F4U Corsair.

 

_mg_7861-2.jpg

 

tumblr_om5tat2fzx1tfjr3vo1_1280.jpg

 

 

And their makin' one for DCS.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rrober49 said:

A friend of my fathers had to bail out of his plane over Germany in the dead of winter  lost both his legs to frostbite

 

My uncle was a radio operator/photographer/gunner on B17s.  He was wounded and reassigned several times.  But he survived the war.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...