progressivecitizen

What's the deal with the economy?

So I'm sure this is naive, but please indulge me.

When there are economic problems in a country or globally, usually one side benefits at the expense of the other. But now everyone is suffering as the economy has been shut down. So isn't that a better situation in some ways? If nobody can make money, can't everything be forgiven? It seems like it would just be a pause. Tenants can't pay landlords, landlords can't pay mortgages, banks can't collect. So?

3 hours ago, progressivecitizen said:

So I'm sure this is naive, but please indulge me.

When there are economic problems in a country or globally, usually one side benefits at the expense of the other. But now everyone is suffering as the economy has been shut down. So isn't that a better situation in some ways? If nobody can make money, can't everything be forgiven? It seems like it would just be a pause. Tenants can't pay landlords, landlords can't pay mortgages, banks can't collect. So?

The deals people concoct in this day and age can be exceedingly complicated.  If I don't pay my mortgage, that threatens some mortage-backed security somewhere, which is insured against default by some bespoke derivatives chain that might be 2 or 3 levels deep, all written with time built into them, if this happens then x-days later this happens, and this is due, and so on, and so forth.  

Pretty hard to unravel it once it looks like a Gordian knot.  But hey...when everything is perfect, the sun is shining and there are no bumps in the road, you can make a lot of profit with those knots.  That's what we did in the 1920's, too.