Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TheOldBarn

This Corona Virus calls for a Gun

Recommended Posts

And welcome back to the CNN Covid-19 Town hall. 

And this question comes from Little Johnny.

Dr Gupta, can the corona virus be spread by Farts?

https://991thewhale.com/can-you-really-catch-the-coronavirus-from-someones-flatulence/

 

I'm sorry, I'm not making light of this public emergency,  but I am pointing out how some folks react. 

In the state of California, as you all know, the entire state is supposed to shelter in place, and that means

only essential businesses, such as healthcare, food and essential supply companies are supposed to be allowed to operate.

Should this also require gun stores to stay open - I don't want to take away anyone's second amendment rights and all,

but, are gun stores essential at this time?

People line up at Martin B. Retting gun store in Culver City

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020 at 7:48 PM, TheOldBarn said:

I don't want to take away anyone's second amendment rights and all, But, are gun stores essential at this time?


I know a number of people who would say that ammunition is an essential product. Never understand the commitment of gun nuts to their pea shooters. Many of them are convinced that a civil war or government tyranny is just around the corner. Murca y’all, 

 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get that either.  It's happening in my area as well:

 

Quote

PORTLAND (WGME) -- Just like soap, sanitizer and toilet paper, guns and ammo are seeing a surge in sales right now.

 

Gun shops across the country are seeing an increase in sales for guns and ammunition. That’s also the case in Maine.

 

“It’s been absolutely crazy,” Maine Ammo Company employee Ethan Pepin said.

https://wgme.com/news/coronavirus/maine-shops-see-increased-sales-of-guns-ammunition

 

It's gotten so bad, the gun shops are limiting people to only 150 rounds of ammunition.  :wacko:   Face it, if "the man" is coming to get you, your 150 rounds of ammo isn't going to stop it from happening.  Idiots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RollingRock said:

I don't get that either.  It's happening in my area as well:

 

https://wgme.com/news/coronavirus/maine-shops-see-increased-sales-of-guns-ammunition

 

It's gotten so bad, the gun shops are limiting people to only 150 rounds of ammunition.  :wacko:   Face it, if "the man" is coming to get you, your 150 rounds of ammo isn't going to stop it from happening.  Idiots.

 

It is crazy that people are freak out buying so much... 

 

At my local grocery stores and supermarkets many things like Toilet Paper and Water are completely out of stock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, zkyllonen8 said:

It is crazy that people are freak out buying so much... 

 

At my local grocery stores and supermarkets many things like Toilet Paper and Water are completely out of stock. 

My wife went out and gathered up all we will need about a week and a half ago.  :D  You're right, stuff like that is really hard to find these days.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’re still seeing shortages but at least people are being orderly and the stores are putting reasonable limits on high-demand items. 
 

I am at elevated risk due to a pre-existing condition and could find myself denied treatment if a shortage bed shortage were to arise. Going to the store frequently to see what’s in stock carries a heightened risk of exposure. Stocking up a little to avoid frequent trips is probably sensible so long as you are not hoarding so much that you deny others. 
 

Our Amazon Prime membership has been less helpful than I expected. A lot of grocery items are either not in stock or they take over a week to ship. 
 

Bullets - meh. We’re not in a zombie apocalypse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 7:22 PM, Olivaw said:

We’re still seeing shortages but at least people are being orderly and the stores are putting reasonable limits on high-demand items. 
 

I am at elevated risk due to a pre-existing condition and could find myself denied treatment if a shortage bed shortage were to arise. Going to the store frequently to see what’s in stock carries a heightened risk of exposure. Stocking up a little to avoid frequent trips is probably sensible so long as you are not hoarding so much that you deny others. 
 

Our Amazon Prime membership has been less helpful than I expected. A lot of grocery items are either not in stock or they take over a week to ship. 
 

The biggest threat, it seems, is the deluge of sick patients all hitting the healthcare system at the same time.  Even the hospitals here in my sparsely populated state are getting overloaded......and I don't believe we're anywhere close to peaking yet.  Much more testing needs to be done.  You're right, going to the store frequently does heighten the chance of exposure.  My wife is one to stock up anyway - she always buys about a month's worth of non-perishable supplies and then we just buy perishables weekly.    Some of the grocery stores here open up for anyone over 60 (or those with disabilities) early in the morning, before the crowds hit.  

 

 

Quote

Bullets - meh. We’re not in a zombie apocalypse. 

I don't know what these clowns are thinking.  Maybe they think that, with enough bullets, they can shoot down the virus.  :wacko:  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, RollingRock said:

The biggest threat, it seems, is the deluge of sick patients all hitting the healthcare system at the same time.  Even the hospitals here in my sparsely populated state are getting overloaded......and I don't believe we're anywhere close to peaking yet.  Much more testing needs to be done.  You're right, going to the store frequently does heighten the chance of exposure.  My wife is one to stock up anyway - she always buys about a month's worth of non-perishable supplies and then we just buy perishables weekly.    Some of the grocery stores here open up for anyone over 60 (or those with disabilities) early in the morning, before the crowds hit.  

I don't know what these clowns are thinking.  Maybe they think that, with enough bullets, they can shoot down the virus.  :wacko:  

 

This is a really scary thing to think about, with the limited amount of hospital beds, out healthcare system is going to be overran if this virus is not taken care of soon. 

25 minutes ago, RollingRock said:

 

I don't know what these clowns are thinking.  Maybe they think that, with enough bullets, they can shoot down the virus.  :wacko:  

 

When People freak out I guess they buy more guns?.... idk my guess is as good as yours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, RollingRock said:

I don't know what these clowns are thinking.  Maybe they think that, with enough bullets, they can shoot down the virus.  :wacko: 

 

They're afraid looters of another color will come for their stuff.  They fancy themselves modern day cowboys;  Taking the law into their own hands and committing cold blooded murder in the name of heavenly righteousness .   A Quentin Tarantino fantasy world where law enforcement doesn't exist, like in "Kill Bill" or "Pulp Fiction".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, zkyllonen8 said:

This is a really scary thing to think about, with the limited amount of hospital beds, out healthcare system is going to be overran if this virus is not taken care of soon. 

It's extremely scary.  Hospitals are already at capacity and we are probably 2-3 weeks away from COVID-19 cases peaking here.  Healthcare workers are getting the virus, too, reducing the number of available healthcare workers in professions where there is already a shortage of workers. 

 

My wife is a former ER nurse and retired EMT.  She is considering helping out.  She's also a mental health crisis clinician, so her skills are likely in demand.   I love her for her never-ending compassion, but I'm also terrified for her safety.    

 

Quote

When People freak out I guess they buy more guns?.... idk my guess is as good as yours. 

In scary times like these, people tend to turn to familiar things......in some cases, that's lots of guns and ammo.  :lol:  Unfortunately, having thousands of rounds of ammunition isn't going to make you any less susceptible to this virus.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bludog said:

 

They're afraid looters of another color will come for their stuff.  They fancy themselves modern day cowboys;  Taking the law into their own hands and committing cold blooded murder in the name of heavenly righteousness .   A Quentin Tarantino fantasy world where law enforcement doesn't exist, like in "Kill Bill" or "Pulp Fiction".

It's like they're living their own personal episode of "The Walking Dead."   They're just scared and turning to what's familiar.  They just have a different way of coping with that fear, I suppose.  I have guns in my home, but never felt the need to stock up on ammunition.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RollingRock said:

It's like they're living their own personal episode of "The Walking Dead."   Like all of us, they're just scared.  They just have a different way of coping with that fear, I suppose.  I have guns in my home, but didn't feel the need to stock up on ammunition.    

 

I too am a gun owner.  But the idea of killing someone is repellent to me.  Only as a last resort, if I ever find me or mine in the gravest extreme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bludog said:

 

I too am a gun owner.  But the idea of killing someone is repellent to me.  Only as a last resort, if I find me or mine in the gravest extreme.

I agree totally.   I'd hate to have to take that step.  Only if I felt that the situation was a matter of me (and my wife) or them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RollingRock said:

It's extremely scary.  Hospitals are already at capacity and we are probably 2-3 weeks away from COVID-19 cases peaking here.  Healthcare workers are getting the virus, too, reducing the number of available healthcare workers in professions where there is already a shortage of workers. 

 

My wife is a former ER nurse and retired EMT.  She is considering helping out.  She's also a mental health crisis clinician, so her skills are likely in demand.   I love her for her never-ending compassion, but I'm also terrified for her safety.    

 

In scary times like these, people tend to turn to familiar things......in some cases, that's lots of guns and ammo.  :lol:  Unfortunately, having thousands of rounds of ammunition isn't going to make you any less susceptible to this virus.  

 

Bless your wife for thinking about going head in and helping with this Crisis! The world needs more people like your wife 

 

This virus is a scary thing and when people like the President are downplaying the issue people in the public seem to do the same. The misinformation that is going around is crazy people from my generation think this will not effect them but I just read a story a day or two ago saying that someone that was 17 unfortunately passed away from complications from COVID-19.

 

This Virus is real and people need to start taking it seriously and the first person that needs to do this is our Commander in Chief. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RollingRock said:

It's like they're living their own personal episode of "The Walking Dead."   They're just scared and turning to what's familiar.  They just have a different way of coping with that fear, I suppose.  I have guns in my home, but never felt the need to stock up on ammunition.    

 

I was thinking this as well Shows like this have perpetuated how the Public thinks about Crisis like the one we are going to through. 

 

Last time I checked COVID-19 doesn't have a Walking Dead Symptom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes.  :o  From my home state:

 

SUPPORT NRA-ILA

Our Second Amendment rights are being threatened. Governor Mills needs to hear from you now!

In response to COVID-19, Governor Mills issued an executive order that required all non-essential businesses to close their physical locations that allow “in-person” contact until April 8th. Today, Kittery Trading Post – a gun store – was shut down as a non-essential business!

Please act now and call on Governor Mills to correct this egregious error and make firearm dealers essential businesses. It is extremely unfortunate that in these uncertain times, an elected official would limit the ability of law-abiding citizens to exercise our inherent right to self-defense. Firearm dealers are essential to exercising this right!

Please call Governor Janet Mills’ office at 207-287-3531 and request that firearm dealers are designated an essential business!

 

 

LINK:  https://www.nraila.org/articles/20200326/maine-gun-stores-being-shut-down

 

 

Our Governor is holding firm.  Buying additional guns and ammo at this time is not necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RollingRock said:

Yikes.  :o  From my home state:

 

SUPPORT NRA-ILA

Our Second Amendment rights are being threatened. Governor Mills needs to hear from you now!

In response to COVID-19, Governor Mills issued an executive order that required all non-essential businesses to close their physical locations that allow “in-person” contact until April 8th. Today, Kittery Trading Post – a gun store – was shut down as a non-essential business!

Please act now and call on Governor Mills to correct this egregious error and make firearm dealers essential businesses. It is extremely unfortunate that in these uncertain times, an elected official would limit the ability of law-abiding citizens to exercise our inherent right to self-defense. Firearm dealers are essential to exercising this right!

Please call Governor Janet Mills’ office at 207-287-3531 and request that firearm dealers are designated an essential business!

 

 

LINK:  https://www.nraila.org/articles/20200326/maine-gun-stores-being-shut-down

 

 

Our Governor is holding firm.  Buying additional guns and ammo at this time is not necessary.

 

jeez the NRA really does have there panties in a bunch right now. 

 

I Still cannot understand why people are making this a partisan issue, this a public health crisis that we are the midst of. 

 

People need to understand that it is the right of the states to protect the health and well being of its citizens. 

 

I agree that the governor should hold strong and re-open gun stores until this crisis blows over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zkyllonen8 said:

 

jeez the NRA really does have there panties in a bunch right now. 

 

I Still cannot understand why people are making this a partisan issue, this a public health crisis that we are the midst of. 

 

People need to understand that it is the right of the states to protect the health and well being of its citizens. 

 

I agree that the governor should hold strong and re-open gun stores until this crisis blows over.


People are scared by the pandemic. 
 

A lot of right wingers have been taught to believe that a race war or government intrusion is coming. Stocking up on ammunition is their conditioned response to fear. They do it, even when it is unnecessary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Olivaw said:


People are scared by the pandemic. 
 

A lot of right wingers have been taught to believe that a race war or government intrusion is coming. Stocking up on ammunition is their conditioned response to fear. They do it, even when it is unnecessary. 

 

Yeah in this kind of epidemic that last thing someone needs is more bullets or guns. 

 

We all just need to stay inside and help with the spread of the virus plain and simple!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, zkyllonen8 said:

 

Yeah in this kind of epidemic that last thing someone needs is more bullets or guns. 

 

We all just need to stay inside and help with the spread of the virus plain and simple!


Judging by the RW commentary on NHB, I have no confidence that these people will do the responsible thing and stay inside. 50% if right wingers say it’s a hoax to embarrass Trump.  40% are just looking to take cheap shots. Maybe 10% comprehend the severity of the pandemic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Olivaw said:


Judging by the RW commentary on NHB, I have no confidence that these people will do the responsible thing and stay inside. 50% if right wingers say it’s a hoax to embarrass Trump.  40% are just looking to take cheap shots. Maybe 10% comprehend the severity of the pandemic. 

 

Yep I agree a small amount of the right wing is actually taking this epidemic with any seriousness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...