you might not be here in November to vote, you get that right ?

without one case in Idaho, I will most likely be on partial unemployment in 3 weeks  if not full

I hope people do not have to starve and die, just to get Biden in the seat to do not much

but yeah the idea still crossed my mind 

I'm in college right now and they have already cancelled all face to face classes here all the way until April 20th this Virus is really serious. 

Trump decided the US didn't need a global health Czar...cost cutting measure.  The money is better served for his golf outings.

Trump owns this puppy and he is ill equipped to handle it.

Bone spurs, that's a different matter. 

On 3/11/2020 at 3:04 PM, progressivecitizen said:

Anyone else here hoping the virus will affect the economy enough to drastically unseat Trump in November?

I suppose it would take a nature-generated scourge to bring Trump's indifference to the well-being of the American people under a spotlight.  Everything Trump has done so far, in this COVID19 outbreak has sabotaged an effective response to the virus.  His main effort has been to preserve "business as usual" and the profits that go with it, at the expense of protecting the people.

Meanwhile Trump is using the Bully Pulpit to proclaim what a wonderful job he and his administration have done.  Unfortunately, millions will believe whatever he happens to say.  But perhaps his inept handling of this crisis will alert more people to the danger of keeping him in office.

I see a lot of cracks in the lack of competency coming to light due to Trump and Republican policies. We see Trump bashing all day long in the News, but the major News agencies are not even showing the underlying mishandling of so many things. 

Where does one start? From the general uneasiness many of our allies feel each and every time Trump speaks, or should we say, mostly tweets. 

Yes, we all thought about the youth, the American Youth that gets it. What about the all of everything? What about the big banks, what about this lack of doing anything about anti-trust laws that were put on the books back in the 1930's when Andrew Melon - the rich dude, was Secretary of the Treasury. And then, after Bork, the right has spun this yarn, where, as long as it's good for the consumer, greed, and monopolies are just fine. 

Why do anything, why get educated? Does that mean you just don't care or have any empathy towards the common person, as long as you get yours?

Epidemiology speaking, we are lucky enough, so far, even with this current outbreak which is very serious indeed. Are we going to sit and wait for the next one before we act?

We are missing the boat, the lack of education for so many people who have potential, due to greed, and horrible policies. 

Civically speaking, take care so as not to get exposed to SARS CoV-2 virus spread. Do it for those who have compromised immune systems, as well as the elderly. Get educated about the

problems with the US health system. 

My two kids in college now have their campuses closed. They will be doing all their studies online. This could be a teaching moment in how online studies can be improved.

Yes, we need to be activated both politically and civically towards the needs of our society as a whole on many fronts - yes, poverty needs to come to the forefront in all of this!

I could care less about Trump - I want this pandemic to do the least amount of harm. But this is about the world and the people in it.

And yes, it's a great time for reflection!!!

Peace!

On 3/13/2020 at 10:46 AM, bludog said:

I suppose it would take a nature-generated scourge to bring Trump's indifference to the well-being of the American people under a spotlight.  Everything Trump has done so far, in this COVID19 outbreak has sabotaged an effective response to the virus.  His main effort has been to preserve "business as usual" and the profits that go with it, at the expense of protecting the people.

Meanwhile Trump is using the Bully Pulpit to proclaim what a wonderful job he and his administration have done.  Unfortunately, millions will believe whatever he happens to say.  But perhaps his inept handling of this crisis will alert more people to the danger of keeping him in office.

Yes!

36 minutes ago, progressivecitizen said:

Yes!

As luck would have it, the worst health crisis in 100 years had to occur under the watch of the worst president ever.

Does being a liberal mean that I must blame Trump for every evil?  The pandemic is barely underway.  There is absolutely no reason for local hospitals to be out of surgical masks.  It is the responsibility of every state governor to have a preparedness plan and have sufficient supplies on hand.  State governments are responsible for short term emergencies and should only be raiding the federal pantry after all their own resources have expired.   There is no excuse for New York and California and Michigan to be out of emergency preparedness supplies at this early date.   As liberals it is our obligation to hold our liberal party chiefs feet to the fire.  It reflects very badly on states run by Democrat Governors and legislatures when they have to look to "Daddy Trump" to bail them out.   We have not trusted Trump to do anything so why didn't our leaders make sure that these bases were being covered.  Surely Trump has not been burning face masks to create a shortage since Obama left office.  Fauci has been the head of the NIAID for every president since Ronald Reagan who appointed him in 1984.   I have always thought that being liberal meant open-mindedness and looking for solutions in unity.    It is time that we hold our own legislators accountable.  We have the house and should have put the effort into preparation for national emergencies that was put into fighting and impeaching Trump.

1 hour ago, Koinonia said:

Does being a liberal mean that I must blame Trump for every evil? 

Being a Liberal means that you need not march in ideological lockstep as Conservatives often do.  But when you let Trump off the hook this consistently, and claim all responsibility rests with the states, your Liberal bona fides become suspect, at least in my eyes.  Why does your post, except for numerous proclamations of Liberalism, sound like it was written by a Conservative?

Even after an inexcusably slow start, there are many things the Federal government could still do.  Trump is refusing to initiate the Defense Production Act.  Activation of the Defense Production Act would go far to prevent short supplies and overpricing of whatever anti-virals or other drugs eventually prove effective against COVID19.  And it would provide for the expedited production of supplies needed by health professionals.   There is little the states can do to counter the actions of an authoritarian supporter of for-profit, Big Pharma, at the expense of the health and lives of millions. 

22 hours ago, Koinonia said:

Does being a liberal mean that I must blame Trump for every evil?  The pandemic is barely underway.  There is absolutely no reason for local hospitals to be out of surgical masks.  It is the responsibility of every state governor to have a preparedness plan and have sufficient supplies on hand.  State governments are responsible for short term emergencies and should only be raiding the federal pantry after all their own resources have expired.   There is no excuse for New York and California and Michigan to be out of emergency preparedness supplies at this early date.   As liberals it is our obligation to hold our liberal party chiefs feet to the fire.  It reflects very badly on states run by Democrat Governors and legislatures when they have to look to "Daddy Trump" to bail them out.   We have not trusted Trump to do anything so why didn't our leaders make sure that these bases were being covered.  Surely Trump has not been burning face masks to create a shortage since Obama left office.  Fauci has been the head of the NIAID for every president since Ronald Reagan who appointed him in 1984.   I have always thought that being liberal meant open-mindedness and looking for solutions in unity.    It is time that we hold our own legislators accountable.  We have the house and should have put the effort into preparation for national emergencies that was put into fighting and impeaching Trump.

its the flu 

did Trump invest in the military or did he invest into healthcare ? Obama invested into healthcare Trump was invested into tearing it down

and hey look its the flu and Trump has done not a thing to bring us the better health care system he assured us he could 

and who gets bailed out ? well I woulds assume guys  worth 11'dy  billion dollars heavily invested into developing and owning hotels would need a crap ton of bail out money

On 3/22/2020 at 1:36 PM, bludog said:

Being a Liberal means that you need not march in ideological lockstep as Conservatives often do.  But when you let Trump off the hook this consistently, and claim all responsibility rests with the states, your Liberal bona fides become suspect, at least in my eyes.  Why does your post, except for numerous proclamations of Liberalism, sound like it was written by a Conservative?

Even after an inexcusably slow start, there are many things the Federal government could still do.  Trump is refusing to initiate the Defense Production Act.  Activation of the Defense Production Act would go far to prevent short supplies and overpricing of whatever anti-virals or other drugs eventually prove effective against COVID19.  And it would provide for the expedited production of supplies needed by health professionals.   There is little the states can do to counter the actions of an authoritarian supporter of for-profit, Big Pharma, at the expense of the health and lives of millions. 

I am just reading this now and its very true... 

We need a government that is willing to work for all of us not just the ones on Top. 

The Federal Government Response was abysmal..... and now he wants the country "up and running" by Easter this guy is insane. 

On 3/23/2020 at 1:18 PM, rrober49 said:

its the flu 

did Trump invest in the military or did he invest into healthcare ? Obama invested into healthcare Trump was invested into tearing it down

and hey look its the flu and Trump has done not a thing to bring us the better health care system he assured us he could 

and who gets bailed out ? well I woulds assume guys  worth 11'dy  billion dollars heavily invested into developing and owning hotels would need a crap ton of bail out money

Very Ironic of a President that Claims everything he does is right...right....right..

I hope people realize that Democrats in the Senate blocked the Coronavirus bill for one reason only, and this because it IS A GIANT BAILOUT BILL for Major Corporations.

I see the flip side of this whole scenario.  If Corona turns out to not be the runaway killer, global deaths top off somewhere less than the typical flu or whatever, then two things happen.

First, Trump gets to call it a hoax, blame the Democrats and the media, get re-elected easily.  If that happens, Republicans win in record numbers everywhere and the Democratic Party is essentially destroyed.

Second, we blame the economic problems entirely on this "hoax", rather than on the systemic problems that drove the inverted yield curve, the repo crunch, the wacked out bubble between prices and P/E.  So Trump and the Republicans preside over yet another enormous bailout that we all excuse and support because, "Hey, it was the corona virus panic (which the Democrats perpetrated!!), our economic systems are fine!  We should totally trust Republicans..."  We pour some trillions onto the fire, kick the can further down the road, deepen our debt, and continue to elect Republicans in droves. 

In a few years, the United States looks like Kansas from few years back.

On 3/24/2020 at 10:20 PM, zkyllonen8 said:

The Federal Government Response was abysmal..... and now he wants the country "up and running" by Easter this guy is insane. 

COVID19 is far more lethal in the elderly than the young. 

At root, Trump wants what the Republican, Lt. Governor of Texas, Dan Patrick actually dared sayThat the elderly should be willing to sacrifice their lives for the economy. He wants enough people to contract the disease for the population to develop a "herd immunity".  This would mean an American death toll of about 10%, or 30 million;  The vast majority of fatalities being among the elderly.

And contrary to the president's tortured thinking, a genocide would not save the economy.  Once the pandemic becomes full-blown, enough people will be disabled that workplaces would be empty and very few would be participating in a consumer economy.  Trump's plan would not only wreck the economy worse than preventive measures, but cause intolerable suffering and loss.

1 hour ago, bludog said:

COVID19 is far more lethal in the elderly than the young. 

At root, Trump wants what the Republican, Lt. Governor of Texas, Dan Patrick actually dared sayThat the elderly should be willing to sacrifice their lives for the economy. He wants enough people to contract the disease for the population to develop a "herd immunity".  This would mean an American death toll of about 10%, or 30 million;  The vast majority of fatalities being among the elderly.

And contrary to the president's tortured thinking, a genocide would not save the economy.  Once the pandemic becomes full-blown, enough people will be disabled that workplaces would be empty and very few would be participating in a consumer economy.  Trump's plan would not only wreck the economy worse than preventive measures, but cause intolerable suffering and loss.

Yep this is what I have been saying to People around me... but some still want the country open by Easter that is insane!!! 

At least for me I am not willing my Grandparents dying so that the economy will continue to do well. We all lived during the 2008 recession if we can rebound from that we can rebound from this.. 

We need this Virus to run its course and by individual states putting shelter in place orders into place this will allow for the Virus to cease to exist. 

But if Trump lets this happen and "opens" the country back up by Easter the second wave will be worse for the Virus and countless more people will die.

2 hours ago, bludog said:

I would take it a step further:  Scoundrels like Trump are calling for the elderly to willingly sacrifice their lives so that the obscenely rich can continue to enlarge their fortunes.

39 minutes ago, bludog said:

I would take it a step further:  Scoundrels like Trump are calling for the elderly to willingly sacrifice their lives so that the obscenely rich can continue to enlarge their fortunes.

There seems to be no lows that this POS president won't sink to.  :(  

2 hours ago, RollingRock said:

There seems to be no lows that this POS president won't sink to.  :(  

And the saddest part of this all is that he has millions of MAGA sheep following every move he does.... 

Which shows that his deception and lies have worked on a Large group of people. 

He just is getting pressure from his friends on Wall Street to open the Country back up because they are LOSING MONEY, all these people care about is there PRECIOUS (Gollum Voice) money. It really is a sad sight to see people would rather see people die and get the economy better than letting the Virus clear up.