progressivecitizen

What's the answer to government waste?

How do you respond to a small businessman who is frustrated by all the regulations in his state? What is the answer to the argument that people like Sanders and Warren would take more money for the government but it would be wasted on programs that don't work? There are plenty of entities that have lots of money but are dysfunctional, after all. 

The method is not the solution.  Leadership is the solution.  If you have a company with a great business model and plenty of financing, but your leadership sucks, you'll fail.  The whole point of Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren is their intolerance for fraud and waste.  The whole point is that they personally work to clean it up and spread that mission as a culture through the government.  They appoint people to leadership positions who are committed to doing things the right way.  Smart people who know how to do their jobs.

Basically, the opposite of appointing Betsy DeVoss to run your education department.  The opposite of putting "Brownie" in charge of FEMA.

48 minutes ago, splunch said:

The method is not the solution.  Leadership is the solution.  If you have a company with a great business model and plenty of financing, but your leadership sucks, you'll fail.  The whole point of Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren is their intolerance for fraud and waste.  The whole point is that they personally work to clean it up and spread that mission as a culture through the government.  They appoint people to leadership positions who are committed to doing things the right way.  Smart people who know how to do their jobs.

Basically, the opposite of appointing Betsy DeVoss to run your education department.  The opposite of putting "Brownie" in charge of FEMA.

Well stated!

On 3/11/2020 at 5:04 PM, progressivecitizen said:

Any other ideas?

well as stated above, if you have a good idea, they will want to buy it from you.

but that's not to say that small business is not hampered by a lot of rules that do not apply

to what they are trying to do.

Are we talking about projected earnings, the social security that every employer needs to pay into,

Are we talking about rents, the high cost of rents?

I can't say I have been there, but forty years ago I did work for an accountant that performed bookkeeping

for small businesses. 

Most of what I saw, most of the problems had to do with banking, banking laws and transfers of funds.

but obviously there are other concerns regarding workers rights, and regulations concerning the environment

that big corporations have the legal resources to deal with - And the bigger you get, the more likely

you will contribute what?

Do corporate giants work to help small business, is a great question someone should ask someone 

like Amazon Founder Jeff Bezos or Facebook founder, Mark Zuckerberg. 

I think it would be a great question to ask our current president,

Or maybe Mitch McConnell. 

I'm sure they would know. You might have seen a different world before the financial guru's, before the Robert Rubin's from the Goldman Sach's,

or the Reagan fixture made neoliberalsm into what Wallstreet seems to have become took hold.

Yes, Walmart, yes they too had a huge hand at taking small business out one by one. The small businesses that

once darted all over the landscape, just where the heck did they all go is a great question!!!

Peace!

When we say technological economies of scale, somehow we misinterpret it with financial economies of greed.

There's something somehow fudged in the simple math.

It comes down to supply and demand. 

Say you only want to have a coffee shop, next to a dozen Starbucks, well that's not any easy thing to do,

Unless, let's just say you have a most especial coffee bean secret, Let's call the place Mocha Joe's.

Your coffee is special, and Mocha Joe, it has to be great, because you have to charge a lot in order to 

compete with the big mammoth of a competitor out there like that slick as heck corporate behemoth 

that folks are willing to shell out $2.50 for a simple grande pike.

Mocha Joe, don't Screw with me and serve a luke-warm coffee that I paid you three bucks for. 

What the heck, Mocha Joe, your coffee is not even hot. I want a refund Mocha Joe.

you might project governmental waste, 

the high cost to get a small business started,

or if you have an old business that can no longer 

compete, on the heavy handed corporate controlled

legislatures who do little to help, and yet, the consumer

has all the stuff they need.

They may be down trodden, those consumers,

they may need healthcare, they may need a job

that pays enough so that they can live a decent

life, if only it weren't for all the governmental waste.