Jump to content

Recommended Posts

What exactly IS voter suppression in 2020? I'm in Ca. and we have this new voting centers thing where people can cast ballots in person weeks before the primary and they don't have to do it in their neighborhood. In my opinion it's stupid to do anything but a mail-in ballot anyhow. So since Ca. has made voting literally idiot-proof, indeed anyone who can't cast a vote out here at this point doesn't have the mental capacity and shouldn't, what is the problem in other states? What, do they have like two polling places in the whole city and no mail-in options? I don't get it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, progressivecitizen said:

What exactly IS voter suppression in 2020? I'm in Ca. and we have this new voting centers thing where people can cast ballots in person weeks before the primary and they don't have to do it in their neighborhood. In my opinion it's stupid to do anything but a mail-in ballot anyhow. So since Ca. has made voting literally idiot-proof, indeed anyone who can't cast a vote out here at this point doesn't have the mental capacity and shouldn't, what is the problem in other states? What, do they have like two polling places in the whole city and no mail-in options? I don't get it. 

 

Is the Republicans way of winning the General Election.

 

If you can suppress the base enough Republicans will always win. 

 

The more voter turnout the more Democrats that win plain and simple. 

 

My question is why still in 2020 do we still have closed and open primaries, it is a joke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, progressivecitizen said:

Yeah, that I know. But where/what is the suppression?

 

Voter suppression combined with cheating are used, almost entirely by the right, to sway election results.

 

Here are some Republican techniques aimed at likely Democratic voters.

1 - Overly strict registration procedures targeting less educated minorities.  Requiring voters to present driver's licenses passports or concealed carry permits and other documents less likely to be possessed by poor people and minorities.

2 - Dirty tricks:---  Misleading mailings and phone calls in likely Democratic districts;  For instance giving non-existent voting locations and hours.  Threatening voters with subpoenas, investigation and incarceration should they decide to vote.

3 - Republican officials "losing" absentee ballots and mail-in ballots from majority Democratic districts.

4 - Hacking voting machines to reverse results.

5 - A recent trend in individual states has been for Republicans to enact legislation stripping an incoming Democratic Governor of meaningful power before he/she takes office.  This happened  in Michigan a year ago.

6 - Closing down voting locations in Democratic districts.

7 - Closing DMV offices in minority neighborhoods, making it more difficult to obtain voter IDs.

8 - Gerrymandering -  An abuse practiced by both sides but far more by Republicans.

 

Off the top of my head, these are just some of the ways Republicans cheat and suppress opposition votes.  The top ranks of the Republican Party decided a long time ago that demographic trends would increasingly prevent them from gaining and keeping power by legitimately winning elections.  And that they would need to accelerate their use of shady techniques to subvert the Democratic process if they are to keep winning

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bludog said:

 

Voter suppression combined with cheating are used, almost entirely by the right, to sway election results.

 

Here are some Republican techniques aimed at likely Democratic voters.

1 - Overly strict registration procedures targeting less educated minorities.  Requiring voters to present driver's licenses passports or concealed carry permits and other documents less likely to be possessed by poor people and minorities.

2 - Dirty tricks:---  Misleading mailings and phone calls in likely Democratic districts;  For instance giving non-existent voting locations and hours.  Threatening voters with subpoenas, investigation and incarceration should they decide to vote.

3 - Republican officials "losing" absentee ballots and mail-in ballots from majority Democratic districts.

4 - Hacking voting machines to reverse results.

5 - A recent trend in individual states has been for Republicans to enact legislation stripping an incoming Democratic Governor of meaningful power before he/she takes office.  This happened  in Michigan a year ago.

6 - Closing down voting locations in Democratic districts.

7 - Closing DMV offices in minority neighborhoods, making it more difficult to obtain voter IDs.

8 - Gerrymandering -  An abuse practiced by both sides but far more by Republicans.

 

 

To be fair, when Democrats, historically, have dominated certain areas, they literally engaged in ALL of those tactics.  Right now, they're clamoring for a better functioning democratic system, because they're getting bludgeoned by this stuff.  Like the nuclear option, in Congress.  Perhaps there needs to be some systemic change to address some of these shenanigans, though obviously you cannot legislate away straight-up corruption, like hacking the vote and simply stealing the election.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, splunch said:

To be fair, when Democrats, historically, have dominated certain areas, they literally engaged in ALL of those tactics. 

 

True.  But at this moment in history, cheating and voter suppression are practically a Republican monopoly.  What makes it different from Democratic cheating, in the past, is that now, Republican influence is more widespread and being financed by incredibly wealthy plutocrats.

 

54 minutes ago, splunch said:

Perhaps there needs to be some systemic change to address some of these shenanigans,

 

Absolutely there should;  Although if ever these changes come about, it will only be after a long, hard fight.  We need public funding of elections and a cap on individual donations, perhaps $100 per individual.  Gerrymandering should also be outlawed ...   It is not hard to equitably divide congressional districts.

 

1 hour ago, splunch said:

though obviously you cannot legislate away straight-up corruption, like hacking the vote and simply stealing the election.

 

Many of the dirty tricks go beyond corruption, into larceny.  Admittedly these transgressions are hard to prevent and it's usually difficult to identify the perpetrators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bludog said:

 

Voter suppression combined with cheating are used, almost entirely by the right, to sway election results.

 

Here are some Republican techniques aimed at likely Democratic voters.

1 - Overly strict registration procedures targeting less educated minorities.  Requiring voters to present driver's licenses passports or concealed carry permits and other documents less likely to be possessed by poor people and minorities.

2 - Dirty tricks:---  Misleading mailings and phone calls in likely Democratic districts;  For instance giving non-existent voting locations and hours.  Threatening voters with subpoenas, investigation and incarceration should they decide to vote.

3 - Republican officials "losing" absentee ballots and mail-in ballots from majority Democratic districts.

4 - Hacking voting machines to reverse results.

5 - A recent trend in individual states has been for Republicans to enact legislation stripping an incoming Democratic Governor of meaningful power before he/she takes office.  This happened  in Michigan a year ago.

6 - Closing down voting locations in Democratic districts.

7 - Closing DMV offices in minority neighborhoods, making it more difficult to obtain voter IDs.

8 - Gerrymandering -  An abuse practiced by both sides but far more by Republicans.

 

Off the top of my head, these are just some of the ways Republicans cheat and suppress opposition votes.  The top ranks of the Republican Party decided a long time ago that demographic trends would increasingly prevent them from gaining and keeping power by legitimately winning elections.  And that they would need to accelerate their use of shady techniques to subvert the Democratic process if they are to keep winning

 

The majority of these things can be avoided if people just mail in their ballots. Why would you need to show id? Only an idiot walks their ballot to a voter site when they can mail it in (imho).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, progressivecitizen said:

The majority of these things can be avoided if people just mail in their ballots. Why would you need to show id? Only an idiot walks their ballot to a voter site when they can mail it in (imho).

 

Registration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, progressivecitizen said:

The majority of these things can be avoided if people just mail in their ballots. Why would you need to show id? Only an idiot walks their ballot to a voter site when they can mail it in (imho).

I vote by absentee ballot in most elections.  I take my completed ballot back to the local town hall, in person, and get the name of the clerk receiving it.  Things can get lost in the mail and I will not take that chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bludog said:

 

Registration.

Is registration really that difficult? I don't even remember when I registered, since I assume it was decades ago. I get the feeling there's just a lot of voter incompetence nobody wants to talk about. Gerrymandering and such is evil, but when voting is made idiot-proof people need to take responsibility. I'm sure anywhere in this country if you really care you will be able to get a vote in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RollingRock said:

I vote by absentee ballot in most elections.  I take my completed ballot back to the local town hall, in person, and get the name of the clerk receiving it.  Things can get lost in the mail and I will not take that chance.

Yeah you make a good point about the mail. We have a huge amount of mail theft around here so I drive to the post office and stick the ballots in their drop-off boxes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how is the post office more idiot proof way of voting then  at the poll ?

 

 right off the bat you can not trust putting mail in your mail box  and some how working at the post office makes a person above all the people you can not trust around your mail ?

 

 it seems very important we all vote my mail for you ? I am glad the option is there for people who need it and all but

    If I live right by my voting poll why should i even involve mail ? add more steps ?

 

I myself just hope more people vote this time around

 

 my vote will count for nothing even though I live in a state that allows me to mail in my vote, but a larger % would at least make me feel better about the people I live with around

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, progressivecitizen said:

Is registration really that difficult? I don't even remember when I registered, since I assume it was decades ago. I get the feeling there's just a lot of voter incompetence nobody wants to talk about. Gerrymandering and such is evil, but when voting is made idiot-proof people need to take responsibility. I'm sure anywhere in this country if you really care you will be able to get a vote in.

 

The type of documents needed to register varies state by state.  

400px-Map_of_US_Voter_ID_Laws_by_State.s

 

 

  Photo ID required (Strict)
  Photo ID requested (Non-strict)
  Non-photo ID required (Strict)
  Non-photo ID requested (Non-strict)
  No ID required to vote
 
Notice conservative states often have stricter ID requirements.  Believe it or not, poor people often have trouble getting required ID.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2020 at 3:14 PM, fourputt said:

They are idiots and we have even more idiots in NHB but the reality is McConnell has lost his majority ti block witnesses.

 

4 hours ago, rrober49 said:

how is the post office more idiot proof way of voting then  at the poll ?

 

 right off the bat you can not trust putting mail in your mail box  and some how working at the post office makes a person above all the people you can not trust around your mail ?

 

 it seems very important we all vote my mail for you ? I am glad the option is there for people who need it and all but

    If I live right by my voting poll why should i even involve mail ? add more steps ?

 

I myself just hope more people vote this time around

 

 my vote will count for nothing even though I live in a state that allows me to mail in my vote, but a larger % would at least make me feel better about the people I live with around

 

 

Drop off at the post office, unless a polling place is closer. But you can take it to the post office before polling places open for the election. It is safe there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, progressivecitizen said:

Is registration really that difficult? I don't even remember when I registered, since I assume it was decades ago. I get the feeling there's just a lot of voter incompetence nobody wants to talk about. Gerrymandering and such is evil, but when voting is made idiot-proof people need to take responsibility. I'm sure anywhere in this country if you really care you will be able to get a vote in.

 

Yes but people not involved in Politics or someone that generally does not care so much about elections will not put forth the effort to register themselves. 

 

I am lucky to live In a state that I am able to Register online. 

 

This is why we have under 50% voter turnout. 

 

Everyone when they turn 18 should be required to register just like the Selective Service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

vote by mail, how easy is that?

anybody could if they wanted to be registered. 

They could also easily take part in the US census.

If they wanted to own a gun they could not just think

that god gave them the right, even though the US constitution

never said as much.

You could vote with a mail in ballot, how easy is that.

You receive the mail in ballot, everybody does.

Everybody gets the choice. 

Everyone does.

It's quite clear. Rejoice, no more voter suppression,

it's a thing of the past. At least as far as you (expletive deleted) seem to know.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...