Sign in to follow this  
RollingRock

Take heart, Bernie supporters: Regular Democrats just aren't worried about Bernie

Judging by media coverage and the comments of party luminaries, you might think Democrats are bitterly polarized over Bernie Sanders’s presidential bid. Last month, Hillary Clinton declared that “nobody likes” the Vermont senator. Last week, James Carville, who ran Bill Clinton’s 1992 campaign, said he was “scared to death” of the Sanders campaign, which he likened to “a cult.” Since the beginning of the year, news organization after news organization has speculated that Sanders’s success may set off a Democraticcivil war.”   

But polls of Democratic voters show nothing of the sort. Among ordinary Democrats, Sanders is strikingly popular, even with voters who favor his rivals. He sparks less opposition—in some cases far less—than his major competitors. On paper, he appears well positioned to unify the party should he win its presidential nomination.

So why all the talk of civil war? Because Sanders is far more divisive among Democratic elites—who prize institutional loyalty and ideological moderation—than Democratic voters. The danger is that by projecting their own anxieties onto rank-and-file Democrats, party insiders are exaggerating the risk of a schism if Sanders wins the nomination, and overlooking the greater risk that the party could fracture if they engineer his defeat. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/02/regular-democrats-arent-least-bit-worried-about-bernie/606688/

In my opinion, it is primarily the "corporate Democrats" - establishment Democrats that prefer centrist policies and corporate - who are freaking out about Bernie's early success.   But, according to this article, It's not mainstream Democrats who have an issue with Bernie.  It seems to be more like the political elites and their corporate sponsors who have an issue with Sanders.

Here is my biggest concern:

The greatest danger to Democratic unity is that, once primary voting is done, Sanders receives only a plurality of delegates—an outcome that the forecasters at FiveThirtyEight view as a strong possibilityyet party elites try to steer the nomination to Bloomberg or another moderate. They could do so through the roughly 770 superdelegates, politicians and party officials who, although now barred from voting on the first ballot at the convention, could vote on the second ballot if no candidate receives an initial majority. According to the Monmouth poll, Bloomberg enjoys a net favorability rating among Democrats of only 14 points. If he polarizes Democrats now, imagine how polarizing he’ll be if he wins the nomination because party insiders subvert the will of Democratic voters and pick him over Sanders.  

Across the ideological spectrum, ordinary Democrats like Bernie Sanders. That doesn’t mean he’ll beat Donald Trump. But his nomination won’t tear the party apart. Denying him the nomination just might.

All Bernie supporters want is to let the voters decide this primary, not the superdelegrates, Goldman Saks, or establishment politicians who seem to be terrified of healthcare for all, affordable education, addressing climate change, and reversing the growing wage inequality crippling our nation's working poor.   If nominated, I would be proud to vote for Bernie Sanders.  But I will also vote for any of the centrist candidates running should they be the choice of the voters.  Because unless Donald Trump is booted from the White House, we might not have a functioning democracy by 2024, let alone a party.

Let the voters decide. 

Then, let's all support that nominee, whomever they are.  If we stay laser focused on these two steps, we can rid ourselves of Trump. 

Who's in?  :huh: 

41 minutes ago, RollingRock said:

In my opinion, it is primarily the "corporate Democrats" - establishment Democrats that prefer centrist policies and corporate - who are freaking out about Bernie's early success. 

It all comes down to wealthy Democratic politicians desperate to further increase the assets of their super-rich benefactors.  These politicians oppose removing insurance from health care because they themselves take bribes from representatives of the insurance industry. 

A true Green New Deal would see the rise of new industries and the withering of others.  Such a thing would introduce uncertainty into what is now a cozy feedback loop of big bribes for friendly legislation, followed by another round;   Each time widening the wealth gap and leaving ordinary people to struggle that much harder.   Corrupt politicians on the take are afraid that reformers like Warren or Sanders will end their shady, lucrative arrangements.

The well-heeled Democratic establishment will use Democratic Party politics in this primary process, to promote their own "centrist" candidate even if it means thwarting the will of the great majority of ordinary Democrats.

I hear the Russians are behind Bernie.  I guess that means I'm not allowed to agree with his policies...  That's one of the newest bits they're trotting out there.  My idiot Android phone pushes that story on me every time I open Chrome.  I'm not reading it, but it keeps coming up.  Odd.  I don't read anything by the WaPo, or the NYT, but they keep telling me about their great articles about how nobody likes Bernie, or he's un-electable, or how the Russians want him so he's obviously...I dunno...SOMETHING I don't want.

They trashed Tulsi Gabbard, active military reserve, multiple tours of duty, supporter of military but not aggressive banker wars, by talking the same sh!t.  Hillary called her a Russian asset.  She should have her mouth washed out with soap.  That should have been what Tulsi's lawsuit was for.

I'm starting to actually hope just a little bit, that we can Trump these motherfvckers and start electing people who might actually matter.  I guess it happened with AOC.  And Trump is trailer trash but he was definitely a repudiation of the status quo, which I can appreciate.  Time for the DNC to get their comeuppance.

It they trash all of the real people (and ignore Andrew Yang to death) and put Biden up there for Trump to thrash like a chew toy, the DNC will have demonstrated their uselessness as far as I'm concerned.

Tulsi Gabbard, regarding Hillary's despicable charge that Tulsi is a Russian asset:

"Thank you @HillaryClinton," Gabbard wrote. "You, the queen of warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and personification of the rot that has sickened the Democratic Party for so long, have finally come out from behind the curtain. From the day I announced my candidacy, there has been a concerted campaign to destroy my reputation. We wondered who was behind it and why. Now we know — it was always you, through your proxies and powerful allies in the corporate media and war machine, afraid of the threat I pose."

Good God!  Tell us how you really feel, Tulsi!

Take note, Alex Jones:  THIS is how you do conspiracy!  Leave out the aliens and the pyschedelic trips to other dimensions to plan out the assent of the breakaway civilization.  The fact of a war machine warping civilization to serve the bottom line at all costs is wild enough.