Jump to content

Minimum wage


Vegas
 Share

Recommended Posts

Abolish it. Its proven to cause inflation. If min wage is raised, the employer must rsise the price of their goods to recoup the cost. An agreement of wage should be between the employer and the employee only, not the government.  There is always a raging debate about raising the min wage, but noone has ever asked if we should even have a min wage. Lets back up, and determine if there is any logical reason to have a min wage in the first place. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's my take...

 

Very few people %%%-wise actually get's paid minimum

 

One of the biggest problems with raising it so high so quickly is it affects other employees

 

Example..

You pay someone $9.00 an hour to start.

And someone that's worked for two years is making $15.00

 

If 9.00 goes to $15.00 than you need to give Mr. $15.00 a raise

And of course the guy making $20,00 for 3-4 years now wants $25.00

 

These politicians don't realize that

 

We have an idiot on this forum that wants $35.00 an hour to start.

Can you imagine how much the price of gasoline will be if you're paying the guy $35.00 to pump it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

So working American do not starve or can afford to live indoors or are forced to live in their cars.

You are revealing yourself to be a heartless and selfish a-hole. I think you are trying to qualify for the Isles of Iggy.

Forced to live in their cars?

 

No one is forced to live in their cars.

They need to get a place to live.

I've often wondered how someone can have an expensive cell phone bill and cable bill but claims they can't afford to eat

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

So working American do not starve or can afford to live indoors or are forced to live in their cars.

You are revealing yourself to be a heartless and selfish a-hole. I think you are trying to qualify for the Isles of Iggy.

Bull. You libs are clueless in how the economy works. The free market works. Keep the government out of it. An employee has no negotiating power with min wage, they cant get paid what they are worth. If an employee is worth 10/hr why should the employer pay that when the min wage is 8.25? The employees knows more about their financial status than the gov. You are an evil liar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Z09 said:

Here's my take...

 

Very few people %%%-wise actually get's paid minimum

 

One of the biggest problems with raising it so high so quickly is it affects other employees

 

Example..

You pay someone $9.00 an hour to start.

And someone that's worked for two years is making $15.00

 

If 9.00 goes to $15.00 than you need to give Mr. $15.00 a raise

And of course the guy making $20,00 for 3-4 years now wants $25.00

 

These politicians don't realize that

 

We have an idiot on this forum that wants $35.00 an hour to start.

Can you imagine how much the price of gasoline will be if you're paying the guy $35.00 to pump it?

This is what hapo3when the government is involved. They suck at everything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Vegas said:

Bull. You libs are clueless in how the economy works. The free market works. Keep the government out of it. An employee has no negotiating power with min wage, they cant get paid what they are worth. If an employee is worth 10/hr why should the employer pay that when the min wage is 8.25? The employees knows more about their financial status than the gov. You are an evil liar. 

What a person is paid is not determined by the worth of their labor.

 

The company or boss has the goal of making the biggest profit possible. One way to do this is to pay as little as possible for the raw materials, labor and location of facilities possible.

Competition causes a drive to the bottom for these necessary elements. Eventually, the production moves  to enslaved peasants under a tree in Zamboanga, if this is at all possible.

The free market is not free. If unregulated,  someone will be selling capsules with tapeworm eggs inside  as diet pills.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Vegas said:

This is what hapo3when the government is involved. They suck at everything.

That is why Hitler won WWII, because the government-operated military sucked at everything.

That is why you are reading this message: because the government that sucks at everything developed the  Internet and linked the world together with satellites.

 

Did I mention that you are a total drooling, knucklewalking drooling imbecile? I bet you are part of a government, you suck so deeply

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Giujo said:

So what would happen if we made the minimum wage for everyone in the United States a mandatory $5 an hour with no chance of being increased?

Just as I thought... No takers... you know exactly what would happen... And you don't have to be a genius economist to figure this out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Giujo said:

So what would happen if we made the minimum wage for everyone in the United States a mandatory $5 an hour with no chance of being increased?

That would be a "maximum wage", and of course, this is silly speculation. No congressman would ever cut his own wages to $5 an hour.  Texas independence and forcing California to move offshore 500 miles would be about as likely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There should be no minimum wage. A raise in minimum wage causes some combination of layoffs, part time work instead of full time, price increases, and business failure. The rise in minimum wage hurts the people the wage increase is supposed to help. Business is reluctant to hire and the cost of the goods or services provided by the business increases.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

That would be a "maximum wage", and of course, this is silly speculation. No congressman would ever cut his own wages to $5 an hour.  Texas independence and forcing California to move offshore 500 miles would be about as likely.

I never used the word maximum I specifically said minimum and as far as congressman's wages that doesn't apply they have the ability to make their wages anything they want. But you skirt the issue and the question I'm asking apparently purposely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, XavierOnassis said:

That is why Hitler won WWII, because the government-operated military sucked at everything.

That is why you are reading this message: because the government that sucks at everything developed the  Internet and linked the world together with satellites.

 

Did I mention that you are a total drooling, knucklewalking drooling imbecile? I bet you are part of a government, you suck so deeply

I was referring to the context of the free market you moron. Duh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, XavierOnassis said:

What a person is paid is not determined by the worth of their labor.

 

The company or boss has the goal of making the biggest profit possible. One way to do this is to pay as little as possible for the raw materials, labor and location of facilities possible.

Competition causes a drive to the bottom for these necessary elements. Eventually, the production moves  to enslaved peasants under a tree in Zamboanga, if this is at all possible.

The free market is not free. If unregulated,  someone will be selling capsules with tapeworm eggs inside  as diet pills.

1. The min wage is enslavement.  They are at the mercy of what the government establishes as opposed to what the employee establishes.

 

2. Employers are not going to offer slave wages like 4 bucks an hour because noone will work for that. They are now forced to compete with other businesses for employees. That works in favor of the employees. Why do you think higher paying jobs advertise that they have competive wages and benifits. They are competing for good employees. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Vegas said:

I was referring to the context of the free market you moron. Duh. 

I think that the FDA has done a pretty good job at preventing us from being  poisoned by salmonella and botulism.

I think the government has done an excellent job at delivering my mail. UPS and Fedex depend on it as well to deliver letters to remote places. You will find nary a UPS truck along the Fortymile River in Alaska.

No one is selling tapeworm eggs as diet pills anymore... We can thank the FDA for that.

We have surprisingly few commercial airline crashes, WAY fewer than the few there were before 9-11. We can thank the govenment owned and operated FAA for that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a convoluted issue. However, lets back up. First, the claim that it minimum wage causes inflation is unprovable. Yes, there is statistical correlation but it is rather small. Parsing out which ingredients cause inflation is complex and often misleading. As it stands now, the current minimum wage is far below the market wage (supply and demand) and so has no binding impact in most situations. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Vegas said:

1. The min wage is enslavement.  They are at the mercy of what the government establishes as opposed to what the employee establishes.

 

2. Employers are not going to offer slave wages like 4 bucks an hour because noone will work for that.

There are a lot of women doing pieceworkk sewing jobs right here in Miami-Dade Country working for about that much. And they do not speak up about it because they would be ignored.

 

They are now forced to compete with other businesses for employees. That works in favor of the employees. Why do you think higher paying jobs advertise that they have competive(sic) wages and benifits(sic). They are competing for good employees. 

They are not ALL advertising about competitive wages. Most job ads I have seen do not mention what they are paying. No job I have ever had informed me of how much they paid before I was hired. NOT ONE. And benefits are advertised even LESS often.

 

 

Once, I worked for Ford Motor in the Claycomo MO plant, putting wheels on Falcons and Comets. I did know that they were paying $2.35 an hour, because the Kansas City Star included this figure in the story the new UAW/Ford contract.

The minimum wage at the time was 80¢ an hour, so GO UAW!

Ford liked my work so much they offered 12 hour shifts and overtime.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

I think that the FDA has done a pretty good job at preventing us from being  poisoned by salmonella and botulism.

I think the government has done an excellent job at delivering my mail. UPS and Fedex depend on it as well to deliver letters to remote places. You will find nary a UPS truck along the Fortymile River in Alaska.

No one is selling tapeworm eggs as diet pills anymore... We can thank the FDA for that.

We have surprisingly few commercial airline crashes, WAY fewer than the few there were before 9-11. We can thank the govenment owned and operated FAA for that.

 

Again, i was talking about the context of the op which is the free market. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

No job I have ever had informed me of how much they paid before I was hired. NOT ONE.

 

Then why did you accept a job without any information as to what/whether you get paid?  You're not truly "hired" until you sign a document agreeing to work for a specified wage rate. 

 

Did you mean they didn't tell you what they'd pay you before they offered you the job?  An offer doesn't equal acceptance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Z09 said:

Forced to live in their cars?

They will be if Vegas gets his wish to hamstring the working poor.  

 

3 hours ago, Z09 said:

No one is forced to live in their cars.

They need to get a place to live.

And pay for it how?  With their good looks and charm?

 

3 hours ago, Z09 said:

I've often wondered how someone can have an expensive cell phone bill and cable bill but claims they can't afford to eat

How about someone who pays out thousands in medical treatment, then has to sleep in their car because they have no money left?  I've known several people who have done that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Neomalthusian said:

 

Then why did you accept a job without any information as to what/whether you get paid?  You're not truly "hired" until you sign a document agreeing to work for a specified wage rate. 

 

Did you mean they didn't tell you what they'd pay you before they offered you the job?  An offer doesn't equal acceptance.

Sometimes people are desperate.  A puny wage is better than no wage at all.  Still, the employer is taking advantage of the most desperate and vulnerable.  It should never be allowed, imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Vegas said:

Abolish it. Its proven to cause inflation. If min wage is raised, the employer must rsise the price of their goods to recoup the cost. An agreement of wage should be between the employer and the employee only, not the government.  There is always a raging debate about raising the min wage, but noone has ever asked if we should even have a min wage. Lets back up, and determine if there is any logical reason to have a min wage in the first place. 

 

The problem is lack of action re illegal immigration . 

Wages will soar if those that employ the illegals are HEAVILY FINED and the gov't will receive extra revenue from those thieves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...