Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
drvoke

‘Red flag’ gun law used 3,500 times since Florida school shooting attack

Recommended Posts

Image result for ‘Red flag’ gun law used 3,500 times since Florida school shooting attack

 

 

 

3,500+ cases is a good start. Bloomberg has promised more.

 

 

https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Red-flag-gun-law-used-3-500-times-since-15059481.php

(Full article at above link)

 

 

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — A 23-year-old man who posted on Facebook, “I don’t know why I don’t go on a killing spree.” A West Palm Beach couple who shot up their home while high on cocaine. A 31-year-old Gulf Coast man who pointed a semiautomatic rifle at a motorcyclist.

Judges took away the guns of all four Florida residents under a “red flag” law the state passed three weeks after authorities say a mentally disturbed man killed 17 people in a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland two years ago Friday.

The law has been applied more than 3,500 times since, with the pace accelerating during the last half of 2019. Even so, an Associated Press analysis of the law showed its use is inconsistent, with some counties and cities using it rarely and others not at all. (Show me a jurisdiction that is not using it, I'll show you a gun nut cracker in charge.-drvoke)

Advocates of Florida’s red flag measure say before it existed, it was often difficult to remove firearms from those making threats. 

“We have needed this law for decades,” said Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri, who started a unit in his department that exclusively handles red flag cases.

But the law also has vocal critics: those who say it violates the U.S. and state constitutions, including the right to bear arms.

Sixteen other states, including California, have adopted similar laws, 11 of which were enacted after the Feb. 14, 2018, shooting at Stoneman Douglas.

To get an order in Florida, police agencies must file a request with a civil court, citing serious mental illness or threats a person has made. If the judge agrees, the person must surrender their firearms to police. Within two weeks, a hearing is held during which the judge decides whether to take the person’s weapons away for a year. Police agencies can apply for an extension if there is evidence a person remains a threat after a year. If not, the guns are often returned.

 

 

 

Image result for ‘Red flag’ gun law  cartoon

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  This is very good.

 The law is working like it should.

 Bloomberg is right too.

 It should be nationwide.

 It doesn't  violate the 2nd amendment and works to keep guns from killing innocent people.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drvoke said:

Image result for ‘Red flag’ gun law used 3,500 times since Florida school shooting attack

 

 

 

3,500+ cases is a good start. Bloomberg has promised more.

 

 

https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Red-flag-gun-law-used-3-500-times-since-15059481.php

(Full article at above link)

 

 

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — A 23-year-old man who posted on Facebook, “I don’t know why I don’t go on a killing spree.” A West Palm Beach couple who shot up their home while high on cocaine. A 31-year-old Gulf Coast man who pointed a semiautomatic rifle at a motorcyclist.

Judges took away the guns of all four Florida residents under a “red flag” law the state passed three weeks after authorities say a mentally disturbed man killed 17 people in a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland two years ago Friday.

The law has been applied more than 3,500 times since, with the pace accelerating during the last half of 2019. Even so, an Associated Press analysis of the law showed its use is inconsistent, with some counties and cities using it rarely and others not at all. (Show me a jurisdiction that is not using it, I'll show you a gun nut cracker in charge.-drvoke)

Advocates of Florida’s red flag measure say before it existed, it was often difficult to remove firearms from those making threats. 

“We have needed this law for decades,” said Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri, who started a unit in his department that exclusively handles red flag cases.

But the law also has vocal critics: those who say it violates the U.S. and state constitutions, including the right to bear arms.

Sixteen other states, including California, have adopted similar laws, 11 of which were enacted after the Feb. 14, 2018, shooting at Stoneman Douglas.

To get an order in Florida, police agencies must file a request with a civil court, citing serious mental illness or threats a person has made. If the judge agrees, the person must surrender their firearms to police. Within two weeks, a hearing is held during which the judge decides whether to take the person’s weapons away for a year. Police agencies can apply for an extension if there is evidence a person remains a threat after a year. If not, the guns are often returned.

 

 

 

Image result for ‘Red flag’ gun law  cartoon

 

 

Obama's directive was what stopped schools from dealing with problem students.

 

The Parkland shooting could have been prevented if they had done their job to protect students.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, personreal said:

Obama's directive was what stopped schools from dealing with problem students.

 

The Parkland shooting could have been prevented if they had done their job to protect students.

  When was the parkland shooting?

 It was while trump was president.

 2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Squatchman said:

  When was the parkland shooting?

 It was while trump was president.

 2018

And they were still following the Obama admin directives. That school made that choice...they weren't forced to do it.

 

Just ask the father of one of the victims...he knows why that shooting happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, personreal said:

And they were still following the Obama admin directives. That school made that choice...they weren't forced to do it.

  The shooting happened under trumps watch.

 The blood is on his hands.

 He wants to claim the economy right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Squatchman said:

  The shooting happened under trumps watch.

 The blood is on his hands.

 He wants to claim the economy right?

Yer a fool Sassy.  Many schools have always engaged in PC leftist policies no matter who the president is.

 

And it was Trump's direct policies that created the current economy.

 

Yer side loses both arguments. But you can never admit it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Squatchman said:

  When was the parkland shooting?

 It was while trump was president.

 2018

yeah trump did nothing and the gasbags blame Obama.

hey at least they don't lecture on taking responsibility any longer. or what would jesus do. hahahahahhahaa

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...