Jump to content

Can We Be As Ruthless As They Are Without Sacrificing Principle?


Recommended Posts

Republicans are winning all the big political fights.  They do not worry about principles and they ignore any precedents they set that might help future Democrats, when they get into power.  Republicans figure they'll just change the rules in their favor, when the time comes ....  Because they know that if they play hardball, savagely enough, Democrats will flinch.

 

This article begins on the shady confirmation of Bret Cavanaugh and then goes on to illustrate a more general ineffectiveness, on the part of Democrats.  Consider the outcomes below:---

Quote

Democrats Fear They're the Wet Rag Party

- snip -

Al Franken is a long-time liberal warrior accused of predatory sexual behavior who is now licking his wounds in exile. 

Brett Kavanaugh is a long-time conservative warrior accused of predatory sexual behavior who is now licking his wounds on the United States Supreme Court.

 

Donald Trump—who faces a more extensive roster of allegations than either man but has never seemed to be licking any wounds about them—finds that contrast vastly entertaining.

 

The president’s gleeful taunts of Franken as a quitter at a campaign rally in Minnesota on Thursday night—he folded “like a wet rag,” Trump cackled—were, for Democrats, a wicked preface to their ash-in-mouth defeat this weekend in the Kavanaugh nomination fight.

 

Whether Trump knew it or not, his remarks were perfectly pitched to stoke anxieties that have haunted many top Democratic operatives for a generation: the fear that their party loses big power struggles because Republicans are simply tougher, meaner, more cynical and more ruthless than they are.

A belief in one’s own virtue feels good. Losing a battle that could shape the American political landscape for decades feels bad. The tension between the two left some Democrats grappling anew this weekend with the implications: Maybe they really are the Wet Rag Party.

- snip -

 

Read more:   https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/10/07/kavanaugh-confirmation-democrats-anger-221089

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets not forget McConnell refusing to allow Merrick Garland for confirmation to the supreme court for nearly a year which obviously paid off and now we got Gorsuch and they hold their majority still. Don't doubt it one bit if RBG were to pass with only a month left in their terms especially if Democrats won the Senate he would push through a nominee. The reasons are very clear and simple the Republican agenda is not in touch with the vast majority of Americans, the challenge as usual is Democrats have to get people excited about this election and get through the importance voting. But Republicans basically are interested in holding power under any circumstances fair and unfair and lately unfair seems to work now. Didnt the former governor of Wisconsin Scott Walker purposely allow legislation to pass that weakens the power his former seat held? That just shows the clear spiteful nature of the Republican party. I dont like it but maybe its time to get in the gutter with them because they cant be trusted any longer to be impartial its the party first and country second for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Republicans have realized something. Most people don't reason. Most people go with what sounds good.

 

What sounds good to people who don't reason? Whatever you hear touted over and over.

 

It's the basic rationale behind advertising to people who don't think.

 

Most people are only marginally smarter than houseplants and Republicans have "got what plants crave".

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 4:44 PM, laripu said:

Republicans have realized something. Most people don't reason. Most people go with what sounds good.

 

What sounds good to people who don't reason? Whatever you hear touted over and over.

 

It's the basic rationale behind advertising to people who don't think.

 

Most people are only marginally smarter than houseplants and Republicans have "got what plants crave".

I think that is partly true. Most people don't think about their government. They don't think about the economics and how it is rigged.

Human beings are smart, but the government is outside the purview of commoners thought.

For too many people, government is an abstraction. They might have heard about Ronald Reagan saying that the problem with government is that it is too big. 

Some people are mortified by government control. If the government says anything, anything at all, it's wrong. 

Don't trust the government. So for the most part, they keep to themselves.

For them, Rush Limbaugh deserves the presidential honor of freedom, and it does not matter what Trump tweets or does.

And advertisers know this. I'm sure facebook knows this. And as Sondland said, everybody knows about this, they are all in the loop.

 

And it's been that was for awhile now.

It's been that way for too long, sadly, it's too true.

 

Peace!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If too many voters are just fools, then the results won't be good.  The people who are willing and able to play the rubes will do so, and the good guys will lose.  We let education slide, we let people play up divisions among people and stir up resentment and fear, we've slashed everything that has a chance at creating an informed, intelligent citizenry, all of it branded as some sort of "libbie" conspiracy to steal money and give it to no-good lazy bums.  The propaganda machine that includes coast-to-coast right-wing talk radio, 24/7, far beyond Rush Limbaugh, as well as Fox News and the proliferation of every flavor of right-wing website pushing conspiracy theories and hate mongering lies...the results have been stunningly effective.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, splunch said:

The propaganda machine that includes coast-to-coast right-wing talk radio, 24/7, far beyond Rush Limbaugh, as well as Fox News and the proliferation of every flavor of right-wing website pushing conspiracy theories and hate mongering lies...the results have been stunningly effective.

 

The results have transformed our Nation in a downward spiral of manufactured resentment and rivalry.  Hate sells.

Link to post
Share on other sites

asking for Franken to resign was the right thing

 

our leaders need to be more thoughtful  in the world of ethics and photo shoots 

 

 the picture of Leeann Tweeden   was over the line given the current affairs  at the time

I sure do not see him as some sexual predator or molester but that was naive dumb thought caught on camera for eternity 

 

IF it was a anti-fox headline It would read "Trump Admits Dems have more ethical people in their party"  

  see how easy it is to be like them and not them

 

 

 he did the right thing, it sucks to lose him like that

  I could forgive him

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday upon hearing what Trump obviously ordered the AG to do and what Barr has done regarding investigations in the future of Trump gave me the same sick feeling I had election night 2016. I cant imagine the Democrats ever having a candidate even half as corrupt as trump maybe Andrew Johnson but as we know the party had a completely different platform then. Now its more than ever apparent that this president is not going to allow a smooth transition in fact its all but guaranteed hes going to contest the results and will unleash all the power of the AG at his direction to try and undo the results. I think we all have to be expecting an all out circus if Trump loses as I expect to happen. 2000 will look like a little spat compared to the upcoming mess that is around the corner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2020 at 4:59 PM, rrober49 said:

asking for Franken to resign was the right thing

 

our leaders need to be more thoughtful  in the world of ethics and photo shoots 

 

 the picture of Leeann Tweeden   was over the line given the current affairs  at the time

I sure do not see him as some sexual predator or molester but that was naive dumb thought caught on camera for eternity 

 

IF it was a anti-fox headline It would read "Trump Admits Dems have more ethical people in their party"  

  see how easy it is to be like them and not them

 

 

 he did the right thing, it sucks to lose him like that

  I could forgive him

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yes, and Franken apologized immediately for that photo which btw was taken during a USO show where he was being overly sexist in a childish way. I did forgive him immediately because I understood the ethos behind the silliness, where in the field of battle you might go too far to raise a laugh. Of course perhaps I likened it to the movie MASH

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Liberals have to figure out how to put Liberalism on a bumper sticker.  

 

Considering that Liberalism is entirely about the idea that complicated problems require nuanced solutions that take all sorts of considerations under advisement, and often involve merely the best possible real-world solution at the moment, instead of some ideological absolute Right Answer that fits neatly onto a bumper sticker...

 

Still, it has to be possible.  How about, "It's not supposed to be simple"?  Or "Everyone knows healthcare is complicated...except for Donald Trump"?  I don't know.  There must be zingers that ultimately just point out that governing 300 million people is COMPLICATED and is going to require compromises.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 8:58 AM, splunch said:

Liberals have to figure out how to put Liberalism on a bumper sticker.  

 

Considering that Liberalism is entirely about the idea that complicated problems require nuanced solutions that take all sorts of considerations under advisement, and often involve merely the best possible real-world solution at the moment, instead of some ideological absolute Right Answer that fits neatly onto a bumper sticker...

 

Still, it has to be possible.  How about, "It's not supposed to be simple"?  Or "Everyone knows healthcare is complicated...except for Donald Trump"?  I don't know.  There must be zingers that ultimately just point out that governing 300 million people is COMPLICATED and is going to require compromises.

I think it is about war. Tolstoy wrote, War and Peace, where he described the hopelessness of any war, as well as the infinitesimals whose sufferings never seem to count for much.

The right is a campaign about fear. FEAR, a RAW FEAR that the government wants to TAKE away My Guns.

You can easily skip past any corporate corruptness, AS long as the Southern Border is Secured. 

Fight against Socialism, so much so, that you infiltrate democracies and control them.

If only Iowa were Bolivia, they say, the US Dept. of Defense would have already intervened; what an uncertain caucus involving a left-wing democratic socialist. Oh come on...

Oh the Americas - the right-wing Americas 

Fighting against the socialist, Against Communist. 

Fighting for less Government, And for the God Given Right, to own a gun.

 

Universal Healthcare, Not so much...

 

Peace!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...