Tired of ignorant conservatives

Has it occurred to anyone that the whole country is essentially being taken hostage by about 35-40% of idiots who will support Trump no matter what? Republican senators in the Impeachment trial are acting like morons and keeping their ears closed because their constituencies aren't making them pay attention. Again, it goes back to one point: Trumptards are destroying our country.

4 hours ago, progressivecitizen said:

Has it occurred to anyone that the whole country is essentially being taken hostage by about 35-40% of idiots who will support Trump no matter what? Republican senators in the Impeachment trial are acting like morons and keeping their ears closed because their constituencies aren't making them pay attention. Again, it goes back to one point: Trumptards are destroying our country.

They are idiots and we have even more idiots in NHB but the reality is McConnell has lost his majority ti block witnesses.

Tired of ignorance? Yes. 

The way I look at it, politicians push misinformation in the effort to both divide, and also to keep voter turnout low. Meanwhile, big money interests has controlled the politics through and through. Trade law legislation is hush hush, designed to benefit the corporation and not to benefit the US worker, nor the US consumer. 

Health care costs have skyrocketed here in the US, while the costs growth has been much much slower in many other nations. Why is that?

On 1/30/2020 at 7:16 PM, TheOldBarn said:

Tired of ignorance? Yes. 

The way I look at it, politicians push misinformation in the effort to both divide, and also to keep voter turnout low. Meanwhile, big money interests has controlled the politics through and through. Trade law legislation is hush hush, designed to benefit the corporation and not to benefit the US worker, nor the US consumer. 

Health care costs have skyrocketed here in the US, while the costs growth has been much much slower in many other nations. Why is that?

I think you answered your question beforehand, and Mitch McConnell obviously orchestrated everything to try and fool people during this sham. But since 1980 when the country got sold on unfettered unregulated pure capitalism they didn't know or were too naive to understand exploitation was one of the symptoms of unaccountable free markets. Unions are going to be the remedy along with leaders who understand how to regulate and create a better environment for people. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 9:22 PM, fourputt said:

I think you answered your question beforehand, and Mitch McConnell obviously orchestrated everything to try and fool people during this sham. But since 1980 when the country got sold on unfettered unregulated pure capitalism they didn't know or were too naive to understand exploitation was one of the symptoms of unaccountable free markets. Unions are going to be the remedy along with leaders who understand how to regulate and create a better environment for people. 

And they call us, people like us who support un-rigging a system that is corrupt, leftist radicals. Back in 2016, when the Senate was controlled by Republicans, they actually passed 

a decent Immigration plan, but the house, which was far right-wing radical at the time, the house that never passed anything, or never could have, was all hyped up about one thing,

investigating Benghazi, or the IRS scandal that they said was overly and unfairly critical about 501c3's that they stated the IRS was in fact politically motivated towards investigating only the right, and not enough 501c3's that were promoting, what they called the leftist radicals were being investigated by the IRS, they cried out foul play, it's not right, they are (the IRS) not being fair... As if, if you rightfully investigate one criminal on the right, without also investigating at the same time one of the left, that's unfair, and leaves the whole world of justice completely out of balance / like the whole world is actually kind of flat mottled non-real world we know argument / except that it's not real.

And of course in doing so, the right, like they always have been doing so, countered that the IRS is corrupted, and then, their argument was to reduce the IRS, its capabilities to monitor corruption,  An IRS BTW, which already did not have the wherewithal to actually investigate the real criminals, the oligarchs. 

Look, it's well known that Donald Trump is and always has been a "white collar", thief - criminal. It's also well known, in the Justice Department, that most, almost all, "white collar", theft / criminality in the US, and all around the world,

goes on, without any one going to jail. You don't go to jail for bilking the American people - that just never happens, and it's Just, no big secret. Trump knows this, after all.

Trump knows nothing if not this. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and he has practiced white collar crime all his adult life.

It is absolutely dreadfully disgusting, and people should be in fear. You know, all the Republican Fear campaigns over the years, well they brought us all to this point.

I remember when I was a kid one morning and it snowed really hard and I woke up like 4 AM just hoping that we would have a snow day. That was the day Jimmy Carter's plan to covertly save 52 US hostages in Iran failed due to mechanical issues with the helicopters which lifted off from the US Naval aircraft, the Nimitz. 

I remember it like it was yesterday, except it doesn't snow in April much anymore. "Operation Eagle Claw", this was before CNN or any of the cable News memes. 

I don't blame Reagan, I blame a lot of things, not just one person, like Reagan. 

I cannot even see any point in looking at NHB at this point.  The "leaderboard" is utterly covered with spam threads with overtly stupid troll content.  They've really stepped up their numbers in the last month or two.

I'd say it's a shame, but I don't need to hear from their ilk anyway.  And honestly, if somebody wanted to make a rational, non-idiotic argument in support of something Trump did, or in defense of a more conservative approach to solving this problem or that problem, I haven't seen any evidence that they wouldn't be welcome in the LO room anyway.  I myself have advocated for more market-based approaches to solving problems than some folks here, and I'm generally pretty conservative about economics.

Of course, that means I'm a pinko commie Librul now, because ACTUAL conservatives, who espouse legitimate competition, abhor monopolies and cartels and crony capitalism,  who decry banks and corporations using their wealth and power to corrupt government and private industry, and oppose never-ending destructive wars that destabilize whole regions for the economic benefit of war profiteers and bankers...this is no longer conservative.  

Used to be a conservative understood noblesse oblige.  Even bankers, for a while there, knew that they had a social responsibility not to play it too fast and loose or they could ruin everything.  But the gangsters have grabbed the party of conservatives, the GOP, by the throat, and transformed it into the party of gangsters.  Buy any influence you can and then use it to stifle competition and de-regulate everything so that you can run every con in the book, until eventually the well runs dry and we see something that makes 2008 look like a walk in the park.

That's not conservative.  They're not conservatives.  They drape themselves in flags and Christianity and fvcking whiteness, and pretend to be harking back to some great golden age of old when everything was better.  But they leave out the part where corporations and banks were citizens, and existed for the benefit of society, not the other way around.  They leave out the fact that tax rates were extremely progressive.  That unions were much more prevalent and powerful than they are now.  That even conservative politicians debated honestly the merits and pitfalls of things like universal healthcare.

And of course, they leave out the bad stuff, too.  Women were practically chattel.  Black people were 3rd class citizens in much of the country.

I'm a conservative.  And I'm a Liberal.  And I'm disgusted that a big chunk of America is literally much more about ignorance and bigoted, backward thinking than anything else.  Poor people voting for the GOP or for corporate Democrats cuz abortion, or cuz guns, while these gangsters are going out the back door with everything including the kitchen sink...  that is not conservative.  It's just fvcking ignorant.  

3 hours ago, splunch said:

And honestly, if somebody wanted to make a rational, non-idiotic argument in support of something Trump did, or in defense of a more conservative approach to solving this problem or that problem, I haven't seen any evidence that they wouldn't be welcome in the LO room anyway.  I myself have advocated for more market-based approaches to solving problems than some folks here, and I'm generally pretty conservative about economics.

I'm a conservative.  And I'm a Liberal

We Democrats co-exist in a big tent.

I cannot even see any point in looking at NHB at this point.  The "leaderboard" is utterly covered with spam threads with overtly stupid troll content.  They've really stepped up their numbers in the last month or two.

I have never seen the stupid raised to such heights as is happening now in NHB.   Much of it is now consists of monkey shines,  shoot-em-ups and rodeos, tribute threads, popularity contests and food fights, by turns. 

Here in LO, after experiencing the glimmer of a renaissance the last few months,  some of the most active posters have been lost and the pace has slowed.  But for those who don't mind less activity than NHB, there is still a much higher level of  discourse, conducted with civility,  to be had here in LO.

9 hours ago, bludog said:

We Democrats co-exist in a big tent.

I have never seen the stupid raised to such heights as is happening now in NHB.   Much of it is now consists of monkey shines,  shoot-em-ups and rodeos, tribute threads, popularity contests and food fights, by turns. 

Here in LO, after experiencing the glimmer of a renaissance the last few months,  some of the most active posters have been lost and the pace has slowed.  But for those who don't mind less activity than NHB, there is still a much higher level of  discourse, conducted with civility,  to be had here in LO.

Yes I agree that we all co-exist within a huge crowd. 

NHB is a bunch of trolls that only care about stirring the pot and not actually putting forth any actual facts or arguments. 

I have a few conservative friends who I can totally have legit and civil conversations about politics and its fine. 

Actually to my surprise, me and my friends agree on a lot of things, the media spins the narrative to seem that we are so divided in reality we are not. We are all Americans who just want a fighting chance and we want someone that will actually stand up for us and not just the people on top.

Definitely true that most people don't disagree about nearly as much as the vitriol would suggest.  Between abortion, racism and a couple of other key issues, much of which is hyper-simplified silliness, we're supposed to believe we're this ultra-divided society and cannot possibly get along.  

Rubbish.

On 2/23/2020 at 12:09 PM, splunch said:

Definitely true that most people don't disagree about nearly as much as the vitriol would suggest.  Between abortion, racism and a couple of other key issues, much of which is hyper-simplified silliness, we're supposed to believe we're this ultra-divided society and cannot possibly get along.  

Rubbish.

The Media spins the Narrative to seem that we live a Divided society.... NO if people would get off there Asses and actually debate each other on the issues we might be able to pass more than a few bills a year. 

But without the right leadership in the Senate we will never see the hundreds of Bills currently sitting on the Desk of the Majority Leader. I really like how President Trump and the Republicans like to always play the partisan card but in reality they are the ones being partisan. 

There is no reason why the MAJORITY LEADER of the Senate has hundreds of bills currently on his Desk, he is a deterrent to our Democracy and needs to be elected out of office for the purpose of our Democracy.