Anyone have any ideas how to make healthy food more affordable ?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/27/2020 at 8:43 PM, XavierOnassis said:

Buy fresh veggies at farmer's markets and discount supermarkets like Sav-A-Lot and Aldi's and make your own salads.Learn how to make salads. Thousands of recipes are on line. Good cokbooks are cheap at Goodwill and Salvation Army.

Buy cases of products which a household uses frequently when they are on sale for that case discount of about 10% off.  AND make water your beverage of choice.

2 minutes ago, merrill said:

Buy cases of products which a household uses frequently when they are on sale for that case discount of about 10% off.

Good am, Merrill,

No, I don't like you.  I don't think you carry a good heart.

But we can still debate, can't we?   

Maybe you will change.   Maybe you will...….'evolve'.                    😇

20 hours ago, Imgreatagain said:

Farmer’s markets are a good place to get veggies and fruits. If you’re a meat eater buying in bulk sometimes saves . 

Hunting... puts meat on the table at a very reasonable cost.

On 1/27/2020 at 9:33 PM, Vegas said:

...without the help of the government.  Its not the government's job to make sure we eat well. So please don't bring them up. Besides, the government sucks at everything, they cant do anything right. 

Im referring to the free market. You can buy a cheeseburger at McDonalds for a buck, but a salad is like 5 or 6 dollars. Using the free market, how can the cost of  health food be driven down?

If it wasn’t for the government, your dumb ass wouldn’t know what healthy food standards are. Are you really stupid enough to thing McDonalds is going to do it for you?

Im sure that free market Romain lettuce that’s killing people, is nice and healthy for you. I would eat that if I were you. Who needs a bunch of government regulators inspecting our food for safety?

3 minutes ago, skews13 said:

If it wasn’t for the government, your dumb ass wouldn’t know what healthy food standards are. Are you really stupid enough to thing McDonalds is going to do it for you?

Im sure that free market Romain lettuce that’s killing people, is nice and healthy for you. I would eat that if I were you. Who needs a bunch of government regulators inspecting our food for safety?

When you get done suckin' dat Gubment dick...?

Try answering the question.

3 hours ago, Blue Devil said:

===================================

How many deer would you need to shoot to justify the cost of the rifle and all the hunting gear and expenses?

I am not opposed to hunting at all, but that is something you need to take into account.

How much per hour would you  think it is worth to gut and dress a deer?

21 hours ago, impartialobserver said:

Have looked into moving to Bend, OR but the economics do not work in my favor. Been there twice and both times, it seemed to be a great place for outdoor recreation and craft beer. 

Bend is probably one of the nicest places I've ever lived. If you like the outdoors, pretty much any outdoor activity is within 15-30 minutes away.

If you like beer, there are lots of options here.

The population has gone from 77k to 97k in the 9 years we have been here so there are some growing pains. I think a lot of people move here without doing their research and get slapped upside the head with this:

Bend median home price hits $470,000 in July - Bend Homes ...

I couldn't afford to live here without the wife's income.

39 minutes ago, JoeAverage said:

Bend is probably one of the nicest places I've ever lived. If you like the outdoors, pretty much any outdoor activity is within 15-30 minutes away.

If you like beer, there are lots of options here.

The population has gone from 77k to 97k in the 9 years we have been here so there are some growing pains. I think a lot of people move here without doing their research and get slapped upside the head with this:

Bend median home price hits $470,000 in July - Bend Homes ...

I couldn't afford to live here without the wife's income.

I interviewed for a job there in Bend in 2013. Went looking around at homes and was simply amazed at the prices. We did some number crunching and decided that it was simply too expensive to make it work without major sacrifices.