Sign in to follow this  
maineman

2nd Safest City in all of North America!

My wife and I are headed back to Merida, Mexico tomorrow, the second safest city in all of North America.  We lived there from 2011- 2017 and are going to spend a week there partying with all of our old friends.  If you haven't been there, I highly recommend a visit.  It is a beautiful old colonial city... the oldest cathedral in the New World... the largest wooden indoor crucifix in all of Christendom... over a million people... burgeoning restaurant scene.  Great nightlife.  I'll report back on this thread upon our return, if not before!

Merida certainly has a better climate than Maine in January and February.

The largest wooden indoor crucifix would not be much of a reason to visit, though. How many minutes can a large wooden indoor cross impress anyone?

FYVMrlu.jpg

7 hours ago, XavierOnassis said:

The largest wooden indoor crucifix would not be much of a reason to visit, though. How many minutes can a large wooden indoor cross impress anyone?

Different strokes for different folks !

On 1/27/2020 at 8:05 PM, maineman said:

My wife and I are headed back to Merida, Mexico tomorrow, the second safest city in all of North America.  We lived there from 2011- 2017 and are going to spend a week there partying with all of our old friends.  If you haven't been there, I highly recommend a visit.  It is a beautiful old colonial city... the oldest cathedral in the New World... the largest wooden indoor crucifix in all of Christendom... over a million people... burgeoning restaurant scene.  Great nightlife.  I'll report back on this thread upon our return, if not before!

Have a safe trip!  :)  

4 hours ago, bludog said:

Different strokes for different folks !

We used to go on vacation from Kansas City to Colorado.  after pestering my father for three years running, he finally drove a pretty good distance off the road to visit the Largest Ball of Twine in Cawker City, Kansas.  It was as impressive as any ball of twine I have ever seen. But after 30 minutes of staring at it while listening to tales of Twine, I got bored.

xman...remember the time you pissed in the campfire at the high school graduation kegger...............................................................that was awesome.

12 hours ago, XavierOnassis said:

I saw it once, years ago and have never even so much as poked my head inside the front door since! ;)

13 hours ago, maineman said:

I saw it once, years ago and have never even so much as poked my head inside the front door since! ;)

Merida has a giant crucifix, while Caeker City has a giant ball of twine.

The ball of twine continues to grow, the crucifix just sits there.

In Ecuador, there is a museum of crucifixes, mostly from the colonial period. Ecuador is the most Catholic country in the Americas. One of its early governments actually passed a law dedicating the Republic to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. There was opposition to this devotion, at least one supercatholic president was assassinated.

The Crucifix Museum is impressive. It appears like each crucifix sculptor was in a competition to make Jesus look even more miserable than the last one they saw. Some sculptors and woodcarvers were talented, but others were more amateurish.

There were HUNDREDS of crucifixes. It was creepy, like the momias of Guanajuato.