Sign in to follow this  
TheOldBarn

Do we want progress, what does that mean?

I'm a progressive. I do want progressive changes to our economic system to entail big ticket issues like better education for all, healthcare, and most certainly getting away from plastics and all the things that threaten our environment like fossil fuels and an immoral livestock demand that is a big time total resource sieve for the planet and its people as a whole.

I have to say, I would love to have extremely competent elected governmental leaders with a high degree of character who would put real people first, that being the only reason they run for office. 

That being the sole reason for all their public sacrifice. 

The right says, I just want to be able to purchase a non-efficient old style light bulb, such is my right to choose. I just want to have my god given right to own a gun - such like the Supreme Court says

it is.

Some paint progress differently than I do. This much is more than evident. 

We have more bathrooms per person than any other country on Earth, and yet, we have low flow efficient toilets and low flow efficient showers too.

We are a consumer nation they say. We have QVC television where you can sit home on your couch and buy stuff you don't need. Is that progress?

I would sit and watch FOX cable all day, and then, I go to QVC and look for bargains. Is this progress?

Should the news bring you what you want, your special brand of polarity politics, or perhaps religious content, and is it worth the price?

I guess we need focus groups for everything. We need to think the other side of the polar gap needs to justify their outlandish schemes in this way so that they can

disperse with their rationale regarding talking points - is this progress?

If your company makes money ripping people off, is it better to pay for an expensive legal team that can be thought of only as a way toward the realization of high profitability, no matter

whether or not they provide anything justifiable regarding betterment of people, employing more people at decent wages,

or is it your only goal to increase shareholder wealth?

Is ensuring the increased wealth for the top 10 percent of the populace solely,  progress?

The news media is a circus they say. There is so much divide. CNN is liberal, MSNBC is liberal, and Fox, and what was her name, Megyn Kelly was released from NBC.

She was on Bill Maher last night saying she doesn't miss it. She only worries because it was her, the only voice of reason

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/08acdo/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-lactate-intolerance

should I say...

Peace!

Progress to me is not only affordable healthcare but proactive action in the community and schools towards the benefits of healthier lifestyles that in turn affects healthcare costs. As a people there needs to be an all out effort to point the spotlight at these fast food industries and hold them to a higher standard and better inform the poorer communities that they are being poisoned by these corporate companies that sell a poor product at an inflated price and offer employment at non survivable wage while only making token investments in the communities to keep the heat from getting too much on them. This is the most glaring example of exploitation that a more progressive for the people government could do something about instead of conservatives shrugging their shoulders and say individual responsibility.

33 minutes ago, fourputt said:

Progress to me is not only affordable healthcare but proactive action in the community and schools towards the benefits of healthier lifestyles that in turn affects healthcare costs. As a people there needs to be an all out effort to point the spotlight at these fast food industries and hold them to a higher standard and better inform the poorer communities that they are being poisoned by these corporate companies that sell a poor product at an inflated price and offer employment at non survivable wage while only making token investments in the communities to keep the heat from getting too much on them. This is the most glaring example of exploitation that a more progressive for the people government could do something about instead of conservatives shrugging their shoulders and say individual responsibility.

well to me, what you state is the same thing as affordable healthcare. Health care needs to be efficient and affordable and everyone needs to have it. It should be a right more than the right to own a gun ever was. You say, we have pushed a poor diet. Even if we come up with a way to make a vegetarian whopper, the question is, is it healthy to eat. 

Two fold. One, are we reducing our carbon footprint by decreasing the cattle production, and two, are we at the same time making a healthier diet for people to eat, thereby reducing clogged arteries, and promoting healthy foods.

We should do both at the same time. We need to educate people so that they become critical thinkers. Inflated prices in medicines are due to patent rights, intellectual properties, why not pay the price for drug discovery up front through the NIH? 

We build too many prisons and we have a haphazard justice system that places under educated black youths in prison for offences rich white kids get a pass over.

We build too many prisons, and spend far too little for education K-12, or even much higher. Our colleges are far too expensive for most. Most have to go into debt these days

in order to graduate from a simple 4 year institution, never mind grad school. And what's more, even though they end up in debt, they have no certainty of ever getting a job in their 

profession, many wind up working in fast food restaurant or maybe if they're lucky they land a job as a janitor in some dilapidated public school for a few years, who knows if they'll

ever pay off their debt, or if they'll ever get to practice what it was they learned in all that school.

The infrastructure. The needed jobs, plenty of qualified people, stuff like this or that, the way it just goes. But I'm old. 

Just because I have been there. Just because after I was there and I seen it, I held onto resumes. I held onto the possibility that someone would fit because I know what that's like.

You know what that's like. When they tell you how hard it is to move up a rung, from poverty, or lower middle class - well it still means no matter how well your mom or dad did, if you were lucky enough to have two parents, you're still on your own.

It takes a lot of luck and hard work combined to make any great change.

Sierra Nevada

Sierra Nevada

The Sierra Nevada is talking to me now.

I'm not an economist. Although I study the economy because it leaves a blueprint in history I think.

I was raised by a single mother who worked as a nurse. She was far too busy to watch over me. But I loved her, she instilled character in me. She was born in 1923 on a farm in Iowa. She became a nurse during WWII. And when I was a kid, RN's did not make much money. 

We ate pancakes for breakfast and for dinner a lot of the time. The bacon fat was saved to be utilized for cooking. Secretly my mother used powdered milk to double our milk supply.

When the first McDonald's came around, well - while it was a major treat, it was vastly smaller portions. A soft drink was like what they have now in Japan, a large was much smaller than what they call a small in the US nowadays.

Peace!

Peace!