zkyllonen8

Democrats Should Talk about this More.

What I mean to say about anything - it comes down to a political decision. 

It was a decision to have all the cars we have now in the US. It started when cars first came about. Only very rich folks had them, but the roads were horrible. The rich tried to build roads to drive everywhere but found out that didn't work. Private wealth just couldn't get the job done, so government was beckoned to step in. Fist in the states, and then an interstate, and so on.

It happened long ago, it's better than horses, far better especially in cities, but, this decision spurned a lot of mass transit that big cities already spent a long time and a whole lot of money trying to employ - a decision. 

Meanwhile, the US spewed many more times the amount of carbon into the atmosphere than the rest of the world combined, and the US became an economic power house. This was a decision. And people liked it, they liked it a lot. 

How do you change this? It has to come down to decisions. Yes, it takes buy in from the people in a big way. Example: sure, you do the ACA, but don't take my company health care insurance away, because if you do, that's a threat to me personally. 

A friend of mine who is 65 who works alongside me decided to take Medicare with Kaiser Plus to cover her pharmaceutical costs - something they call out of pocket contribution, Medicare part B, an insurance you pay out of pocket for. So anyway she still works full time as a scientist but is taking medicare with medicare part B because it made more sense for her, covered her needs better than our big corporate insurance plan would. Then, she found out that she has MS. Luckily there has been progress with older people who have MS, but you need an infusion, 

some drugs that will allow MS to stabilize. First, you need two infusion in the first year, followed by an MRI each year and another infusion each and every year. 

The infusion cost 15,000, and luckily for her, she made the right choice in choosing medicare because it pays for the total cost of an infusion - some private insurance companies only pay for a portion of the cost.

Why is that. Why did I state this? 

A lot of things about life come down to decisions. They are mostly not personal decisions, they come down to decisions that are made in the legislature, decisions that are mandated through public policy. 

We have a bit of a problem right now in the US where people do not fully understand what we are facing with climate change and a whole host of other significant threats - not about war with other nations, but with actual public policy measures that contribute in a large way to the lively hood of most Americans in the not too distant future.

People who are smart and informed are talking. People who are smart and uninformed are also talking. Actually it is common sense to the first degree. 

We need big time change and we need it soon. 

Sure, I'm preaching to the choir here. 

Sure. We have all waited a long time patiently for quite sometime now.

1 hour ago, TheOldBarn said:

On 1/27/2020 at 10:04 AM, bludog said:

We need a left of moderate president who is willful, determined and skilled at selling his agenda ...  And Democratic super-majorities in both houses ...  If not in 2020, then sometime down the line.  FDR and LBJ are examples.  Both achieved historical change

- His or Her Agenda. Yes, we do need a determined president who is willful - like a breath of fresh air, at selling her agenda. Someone who can appeal to all Americans regarding Healthcare, 

as well as skillfully operate how to tackle climate change. WE need someone who can talk about the economics, how to bring in more needed revenue without taking from the people on the lower rung of the economic scale. Yes, we need a sustainable economy - which might entail slow growth at first, even zero growth for a bit. You have to be honest about budget short-falls and how taxes are spent. Debt spending is perfectly allowable - it should be, the Republicans introduce it ever chance they get with tax cuts for the Super rich and sometimes even with stupid wars... see Vietnam War / Iraq War/ Afghanistan War - or whatever it is we call it now.

Strong on Science. Strong on policy that works. People in government who are topic experts who can be independent politically who can then show the facts behind the policy to all Americans in a common sense way. Yeah, basic honesty. Did the policy work, or was it a waste, or was it enough? Who did it affect, what groups lost and who won? For instance, where are all the GI's who fought in Iraq war II, how many still are in desperate need of assistance? For instance, what about privatized prison systems - and our unfair legal system - how many people could be released from prison who are of no danger to society, and how would it help our economy to allow them to be set free? So what about our public school system - what is the truth about poverty when it comes down to crime?

WE should ask for a lot. Just like employing teachers in public education - you should pay them what they are worth and expect a whole lot!!!

What's the motivation? I think that is the biggest question of all. 

I know a lot of very great examples, of people in society, people in science, people in search of a purpose, just waiting, and possibly thinking what their true calling in life should be. 

I'm sure you do too Bludog.

Peace!

Thank you OldBarn   ^   ^   ^

On 1/23/2020 at 9:24 PM, zkyllonen8 said:

Out of all the issues I feel the most strongly about Campaign Finance and Corporate Donations. 

I think the eventual Democratic Nominee needs to take a Strong stance on this issue. 

For long enough our politics have been ran by one thing:  Money. 

We need someone that will pledge to not take Corporate PAC money and not get huge individual donors. 

We need someone that will fight for us the people. Not like the past where presidents and members of congress only fight and represent the corporations and top 1%. 

I want to hear LO forum's opinions about this. 

As long as the Supreme Court upholds Citizen United (lol) which actually prevents any meaningful election finance reform, Congress will remain on the auction block. So key votes on taxation, budget etc will go to the highest bidder.

This week I came close to feel a little bit sorry for John Roberts during the Impeachment trial, like him coming face to face with his decision. 

16 minutes ago, Zaro said:

As long as the Supreme Court upholds Citizen United (lol) which actually prevents any meaningful election finance reform, Congress will remain on the auction block. So key votes on taxation, budget etc will go to the highest bidder.

This week I came close to feel a little bit sorry for John Roberts during the Impeachment trial, like him coming face to face with his decision. 

I felt sorry for him when he refused to read Ron Paul's question which possibly named the whistle blower by name that has been circulated on right-winged news media. He just said he would not read the question. If I were him, I would be upset, because the jerk, Ron Paul, almost made him disclose the whistle blower's name, or even worse, the suspected whistle blowers name. What a fricking jerk. But, John Roberts just said, I cannot read this question.

Hell I would have made an airplane out of the square piece of paper and sailed it without saying a thing. And then, Silence in the Senate Room. Sometimes silence is good, silence is golden.

Sometimes it just is.

Peace!

47 minutes ago, TheOldBarn said:

I felt sorry for him when he refused to read Ron Paul's question which possibly named the whistle blower by name that has been circulated on right-winged news media. He just said he would not read the question. If I were him, I would be upset, because the jerk, Ron Paul, almost made him disclose the whistle blower's name, or even worse, the suspected whistle blowers name. What a fricking jerk. But, John Roberts just said, I cannot read this question.

Hell I would have made an airplane out of the square piece of paper and sailed it without saying a thing. And then, Silence in the Senate Room. Sometimes silence is good, silence is golden.

Sometimes it just is.

Peace!

Oh fugg John Roberts. And his mother too

The SC is slow to revert itself. Especially when it comes to constitutional rights such as free speech. Citizen United will be dismantled in small little steps, kinda like Roe v Wade if the left ever catches on to the WORKING modus operandi of the political right. Do what those swine do. Start at the state level