Perjury charges being considered for McConnell and other Senate Republicans

Image result for Ex-White House Ethics Chief Calls McConnell A 'Perjurer' After Senator Takes Impeachment Oath: He Said 'The Exact Opposite'

They lied under oath. It's an open and shut case.

Ex-White House Ethics Chief Calls McConnell A 'Perjurer' After Senator Takes Impeachment Oath: He Said 'The Exact Opposite'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ex-white-house-ethics-chief-calls-mcconnell-a-perjurer-after-senator-takes-impeachment-oath-he-said-the-exact-opposite/ar-BBZ2q1X?ocid=spartandhp

(Full article at above link)

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell was branded a "perjurer" Thursday by former President George W. Bush's ethics chief, after the Republican senator took an oath swearing impartiality in the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump.

McConnell has explicitly indicated he has no intention of being impartial, vowing to work closely with White House counsel and Trump as the trial approached. Richard Painter, Bush's chief ethics lawyer from 2005 to 2007, denounced the senator on Twitter for contradicting himself by taking the oath.

"This man just swore an oath saying the exact opposite. This man is a perjurer," Painter tweeted, accompanied by a December NPR article featuring McConnell vowing to be anything but partial in the trial.

"I'm not an impartial juror. This is a political process. There's not anything judicial about it," McConnell told reporters on December 17, according to the article. "The House made a partisan political decision to impeach. I would anticipate we will have a largely partisan outcome in the Senate. I'm not impartial about this at all."

Newsweek contacted Painter for additional comments but did not receive a response in time for publication.

The text of the oath McConnell took Thursday, which was administered by Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, offers a clear pledge to remain impartial: "I solemnly swear that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of President Donald J. Trump, now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws, So help me God."

Painter is a longtime Trump critic and one of several legal experts who have been critical of McConnell's actions and statements regarding the impeachment trial. He voiced his displeasure with the majority leader when he announced he would refuse to be impartial shortly after Trump was impeached in December.

"For Mitch McConnell to say he's working with the White House, coordinating with the defendant in this trial before the trial has even begun is atrocious," said Painter during a CNN panel discussion. "He may think he's a judge impaneling an all-white jury for a Klansman trial in Mississippi in 1965. That's not the kind of trial we have."

"It shouldn't be partisan. It should be about America. Our loyalty is to the United States of America, and senators take an oath to their country," Painter added.

McConnell is one of several Republicans who have indicated that they feel no obligation to remain impartial, due to the partisan and non-judicial nature of the House impeachment proceedings. The Constitution mandates that impeachment trials are the exclusive domain of the Senate.

In the lead up to the trial, senators of both parties have come under fire for publicly announcing their conclusion before the trial begins. Although the specifics remain to be seen, observers largely agree that Trump is unlikely to become the first president to be convicted in an impeachment trial.

Newsweek reached out to McConnell for comment but did not receive a response in time for publication.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were probably a lot of liberals getting a tingle in the legs over the comment.  Of course, none of them thought pass the end of their noses.

1 - The House of Representative does not have the authority to investigate the Senate.  The only crime Congress (either chamber) can charge someone with is Contempt of Congress.  Therefore, the House is powerless when it comes to Senate action.

2 - The Senate majority is not going to vote a member of the Senate in contempt.  They don't want the same done to them when they are in the minority.

3 - The Justice Department is not going to get into the practice of charging members of Congress with perjury.

4 - Even if the DOJ wanted to bring perjury charges, you have to prove they lied when taking the oath.  That is impossible.  It doesn't matter what they said to the media in the past, it isn't against the law to lie to the media. 

4 minutes ago, BatteryPowered said:

For it to be perjury, the lie has to be under oath.

So lying to the American people is cool with you?  

For perjury to apply, of course it has to be under oath.  Do you believe Turtle will tell the WHOLE truth and NOTHING BUT the truth in this impeachment proceeding?  :huh:  I don't.

2 minutes ago, RollingRock said:

So lying to the American people is cool with you?  

For perjury to apply, of course it has to be under oath.  Do you believe Turtle will tell the WHOLE truth and NOTHING BUT the truth in this impeachment proceeding?  :huh:  I don't.

Are you drunk or high?

Sadly, I expect politicians to lie to the American people.  That has only been happening since Washington took office.

I assume by "Turtle" you are referring to McConnell.  Once again, I thought you were smart enough to know that a Senator does not testify during an impeachment trial.  Therefore, "tell the WHOLE truth and NOTHING BUT the truth" isn't applicable since that is something sworn by a witness.

1 hour ago, drvoke said:

Image result for Ex-White House Ethics Chief Calls McConnell A 'Perjurer' After Senator Takes Impeachment Oath: He Said 'The Exact Opposite'

They lied under oath. It's an open and shut case.

Ex-White House Ethics Chief Calls McConnell A 'Perjurer' After Senator Takes Impeachment Oath: He Said 'The Exact Opposite'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ex-white-house-ethics-chief-calls-mcconnell-a-perjurer-after-senator-takes-impeachment-oath-he-said-the-exact-opposite/ar-BBZ2q1X?ocid=spartandhp

(Full article at above link)

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell was branded a "perjurer" Thursday by former President George W. Bush's ethics chief, after the Republican senator took an oath swearing impartiality in the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump.

McConnell has explicitly indicated he has no intention of being impartial, vowing to work closely with White House counsel and Trump as the trial approached. Richard Painter, Bush's chief ethics lawyer from 2005 to 2007, denounced the senator on Twitter for contradicting himself by taking the oath.

"This man just swore an oath saying the exact opposite. This man is a perjurer," Painter tweeted, accompanied by a December NPR article featuring McConnell vowing to be anything but partial in the trial.

"I'm not an impartial juror. This is a political process. There's not anything judicial about it," McConnell told reporters on December 17, according to the article. "The House made a partisan political decision to impeach. I would anticipate we will have a largely partisan outcome in the Senate. I'm not impartial about this at all."

Newsweek contacted Painter for additional comments but did not receive a response in time for publication.

The text of the oath McConnell took Thursday, which was administered by Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, offers a clear pledge to remain impartial: "I solemnly swear that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of President Donald J. Trump, now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws, So help me God."

Painter is a longtime Trump critic and one of several legal experts who have been critical of McConnell's actions and statements regarding the impeachment trial. He voiced his displeasure with the majority leader when he announced he would refuse to be impartial shortly after Trump was impeached in December.

"For Mitch McConnell to say he's working with the White House, coordinating with the defendant in this trial before the trial has even begun is atrocious," said Painter during a CNN panel discussion. "He may think he's a judge impaneling an all-white jury for a Klansman trial in Mississippi in 1965. That's not the kind of trial we have."

"It shouldn't be partisan. It should be about America. Our loyalty is to the United States of America, and senators take an oath to their country," Painter added.

McConnell is one of several Republicans who have indicated that they feel no obligation to remain impartial, due to the partisan and non-judicial nature of the House impeachment proceedings. The Constitution mandates that impeachment trials are the exclusive domain of the Senate.

In the lead up to the trial, senators of both parties have come under fire for publicly announcing their conclusion before the trial begins. Although the specifics remain to be seen, observers largely agree that Trump is unlikely to become the first president to be convicted in an impeachment trial.

Newsweek reached out to McConnell for comment but did not receive a response in time for publication.

Of course I am not surprised. This BS radical right wing party is made up of deception from the day most of them began running as republicans. They lie so often that truth escapes this group. Of course the most outstanding demonstration is tRump....... though I say the entire GOP has to accept responsibility for such gross behavior. 

Perjury, extortion and conspiracy to commit crimes may well be the platform.

Just now, Z09 said:

Perjury charges are NOT being considered...

It's just some opinion piece on the internet...

Don't let facts get in the way. I don't think progressives have too many more happy days coming up, it would be cruel to take this away from them. 

Here's the guy that wrote the opinion piece..

Richard William Painter[1] (born October 3, 1961) is an American lawyer, professor, and political candidate. He is the S. Walter Richey Professor of Corporate Law at the University of Minnesota, and since 2016 has served as vice-chair of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), a left-leaning[2][3] government watchdog group.[4]

From 2005 to 2007 Painter was the chief White House ethics lawyer in the George W. Bush administration. He is an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump.[5][6] Painter has been affiliated with the Campaign Legal Center,[7] a left-leaning group that is a frequent critic of the Trump administration.[8] Throughout 2017 he was involved in the CREW lawsuit against Trump, CREW v. Trump.

A longtime Republican and self-described centrist, in 2018 Painter ran for the Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party nomination for U.S. Senate, challenging recently appointed Senator Tina Smith.[9] Smith defeated Painter in the primary by a wide margin.[10]

In March 2018 Painter announced that he was forming an exploratory committee to run for U.S. Senate in Minnesota, saying he was unsure whether he would seek office as a Republican, Democrat, or independent. In April 2018 he announced that he would run as a Democratic (Minnesota DFL) candidate in the primary against the incumbent Senator Tina Smith.[6] Painter finished a distant second, with 14% of the vote to Smith's 76%.[33][34]

4 minutes ago, Z09 said:

Here's the guy that wrote the opinion piece..

Richard William Painter[1] (born October 3, 1961) is an American lawyer, professor, and political candidate. He is the S. Walter Richey Professor of Corporate Law at the University of Minnesota, and since 2016 has served as vice-chair of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), a left-leaning[2][3] government watchdog group.[4]

From 2005 to 2007 Painter was the chief White House ethics lawyer in the George W. Bush administration. He is an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump.[5][6] Painter has been affiliated with the Campaign Legal Center,[7] a left-leaning group that is a frequent critic of the Trump administration.[8] Throughout 2017 he was involved in the CREW lawsuit against Trump, CREW v. Trump.

A longtime Republican and self-described centrist, in 2018 Painter ran for the Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party nomination for U.S. Senate, challenging recently appointed Senator Tina Smith.[9] Smith defeated Painter in the primary by a wide margin.[10]

In March 2018 Painter announced that he was forming an exploratory committee to run for U.S. Senate in Minnesota, saying he was unsure whether he would seek office as a Republican, Democrat, or independent. In April 2018 he announced that he would run as a Democratic (Minnesota DFL) candidate in the primary against the incumbent Senator Tina Smith.[6] Painter finished a distant second, with 14% of the vote to Smith's 76%.[33][34]

Soooooooooooooooo where is the link to the opinion piece? Why are you hiding the information = you are the typical right wing conservative puppet.....

1 minute ago, merrill said:

Soooooooooooooooo where is the link to the opinion piece? Why are you hiding the information = you are the typical right wing conservative puppet.....

That's his bio ...

I have no idea where drvoke came up with opinion piece...

Ask him!

Painter has a long history of being a Trump critic

And now perjury charges against McConnell?   It's actually silly