Microsoft Pledges To Remove From The Atmosphere All The CO2 It Has Ever Emitted

Microsoft's pledge could be a trendsetting precedent which other corporate giants will follow. 

This is the first gesture of its type, from any major corporation in the world.  Microsoft is joining Ikea and a handful of smaller companies, in unilaterally promising to go carbon negative.  But Microsoft is upping the ante with its declaration to go even farther by vowing to remove all the carbon it ever released.

Microsoft is leading the way with the single most effective CO2 removal and carbon storage procedure:---  Planting large numbers of trees. 

Microsoft is pledging to create a one billion dollar fund devoted to researching ways of lowering the percentage of CO2 in the Atmosphere.  Bill Gates already has his own climate-focused fund. 

They are  looking at a new technology,      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_air_capture

as one of their approaches.

They are switching over to 100% electric vehicles.

Microsoft pledged to publicly track progress toward its objective.  And Microsoft says it will work with other companies to actively further these goals.

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/16/796758230/microsoft-pledges-to-remove-from-the-atmosphere-all-the-carbon-its-ever-emitted

9 minutes ago, bludog said:

I find that fantastic news, both on the environmental/global warming front and because of my personal involvement with the company.

It would be very nice if helping clean up the world would also make you some money 💰.

When as far back as Clinton, people were talking about "the new economy". I guess it's here in spades.

50 minutes ago, laripu said:

It would be very nice if helping clean up the world would also make you some money 💰.

The people at BlackRock have done a truly outstanding job for me so far.   Although the company hedges its bets by donating to both parties, it gives far more to Democrats https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/totals.php?id=D000021872&cycle=2014

This latest move away from fossil fuels, is icing on the cake.  Now if only BlackRock would remove all the stops and go the way of Microsoft. 

57 minutes ago, laripu said:

When as far back as Clinton, people were talking about "the new economy". I guess it's here in spades.

One of the few encouraging signs in this bleak period of US history, is the surprising number of established enterprises who are progressively bucking current political trends.  Microsoft's enlightened stance on global warming may already be encouraging other corporations to move in an environmentally cleaner direction.