McConnell swears 'impartial justice'

Image result for Weeks after saying 'I'm not an impartial juror,' McConnell pledges impartiality in oath

Look at that sh*t-eating grin on his face. You just want to smack him upside the head. What a farce.

'Impartial Justice'.  Another phrase for the infamy books.

Weeks after saying 'I'm not an impartial juror,' McConnell pledges impartiality in oath

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/weeks-after-saying-im-not-an-impartial-juror-mcconnell-pledges-impartiality-in-oath/ar-BBZ1UKc?ocid=spartanntp

(Full article at above link)

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and his 99 fellow senators took oaths Thursday afternoon to "do impartial justice" as the impeachment trial against President Donald Trump formally began.

After Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts was summoned to preside at the trial and sworn in at 2 p.m., McConnell, R-Ky., and his Senate colleagues each took the following oath that is spelled out in the U.S. Constitution:

"I solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of Donald John Trump, now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws: So help me God." ("So help me God." LOL-drvoke)

Thursday's swearing-in proceedings came after the seven House managers carried the articles of impeachment to the Senate and the lead manager, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, D-Calif., read the articles aloud.

The impeachment process will now pause for the rest of the week and resume at 1 p.m. Tuesday, as McConnell noted when he took to the floor after each senator had signed the oath book.

The Kentucky Republican said earlier in the week that the Senate "will pledge to rise above the petty factionalism and do justice for our institutions, for our states and for the nation."

Hours before the House managers arrived Thursday, McConnell criticized the signing ceremony that Pelosi held Wednesday before sending the articles to the Senate.

He noted the numerous pens emblazoned with Pelosi’s name in gold ink that she used to sign the document and then and handed out as souvenirs.

“The pens literally came in on silver platters. Golden pens on silver platters. A souvenir to celebrate the moment,” McConnell said on the Senate floor. “As though this were a happy bill signing instead of the gravest process in our Constitution.” (OK, admittedly that's not the best look.-drvoke)

He mocked the event and how Democrats posed for pictures afterward, saying it revealed the impeachment as a partisan effort.

“It was transparently partisan performance from beginning to end," McConnell said.

Quoting one of the nation's Founding Fathers, Alexander Hamilton, McConnell said "only the Senate, with 'confidence enough in its own situation,' can 'preserve, unawed and uninfluenced, the necessary impartiality between an individual accused, and the representatives of the people, his accusers.'"

McConnell ended his speech by declaring the "House's hour is over."

"The Senate's time is at hand," he said. "It is time for this proud body to honor our founding purpose."

A two-thirds majority of the Senate is now required to convict and remove Trump, which is no small task in the chamber where Republicans outnumber Democrats 53 to 47.