ExPDXer

Bezos announces he will create thousands of jobs...

Well, maybe not here, but,...

Welcome to India, Mr. Bezos

Amazon Inc Chief Executive Jeff Bezos said on Tuesday the company would invest an additional $3 billion in India, boosting its committed investment

in the country to over $5 billion.

He said Amazon would open a Web Services Cloud Region in India this year and the country would soon become home to the firm’s largest software engineering and development center outside of the United States, located in Hyderabad. Amazon had so far built 21 fulfillment centers with more than 5 mln cubic feet of storage space. He said the Hyderabad center would create jobs and career development opportunities for thousands of people and a “significant” number of jobs would be created over time because of the deployment of Amazon Cloud Services.

However, the pledge by Bezos came against the backdrop of mass protests against Amazon, organised by the country’s powerful retail lobby in 300 cities across India, and after news that the company was being investigated by India’s fair-trading watchdog for violating India’s strict laws around foreign business practices. As Bezos spoke to the Delhi summit, independent shop owners took to the streets with placards alleging that Amazon was already driving them out of business by drastically undercutting their prices and favouring large retailers.

The Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT), which represents 90% of India’s retailers and organised the protests, described Bezos as an “economic terrorist” and condemned Amazon for engaging in “predatory and competitive business which destroys small retailers”.

Amazon has already been accused of violating trade laws in India. On Monday, the Competition Commission of India, the retail regulator, ordered a formal investigation into allegations that Amazon was engaging in unfair trade practices, such as the use of deep discounts and giving preference to select sellers.

Amazon already has more than 60,000 employees in India and has committed $5.5bn in investment in the country,

Is this something that we need to be energized about? This is an area that I have some experience in. Cloud services often need to be located in an appropriate jurisdiction. Foreign companies can be reluctant to store data on American soil because the US government has quite a bit of access.  Similarly, American companies can be reluctant to store data about their American customers in countries where the government compels cloud providers to share information on American citizens. 

He can bring jobs to another country, but refused to raise the wages of his workers to 15$ till Bernie pushed him to do so. Plus he still pays $0 dollars in taxes to the government, while our infrastructure is crumbling, 89 million don't have healthcare, etc. 

Come on Jeff, you could be so much better than this. 

5 hours ago, zkyllonen8 said:

Come on Jeff, you could be so much better than this. 

Yes, but not in this case. Amazon wants to service India. It will be bad for small Indian retailers like it was bad for small American retailers.

But Indian consumers will benefit. And if he wants to service India, the jobs should be there.

Whatever Amazon does that's bad, they also do something good: bring products and services to your door for lower prices than most others. They force other retailers to meet that standard. Not perfectly. But nothing is.

13 hours ago, laripu said:

Yes, but not in this case. Amazon wants to service India. It will be bad for small Indian retailers like it was bad for small American retailers.

But Indian consumers will benefit. And if he wants to service India, the jobs should be there.

Whatever Amazon does that's bad, they also do something good: bring products and services to your door for lower prices than most others. They force other retailers to meet that standard. Not perfectly. But nothing is.

Yes he is going to helping Indian consumers but that is not the point I was getting at. 

The point that I am getting at is that he can invest money in other countries while failing his own at home. 

When a mega-corporation like amazon pays zero in taxes that is just absurd for anyone. 

Say I didn't pay my taxes to the government, All of my assets would be frozen by the IRS and everything in my life would seized from me. Meanwhile a corporation is blindly robbing Americans in front of all of us. 

6 hours ago, zkyllonen8 said:

When a mega-corporation like amazon pays zero in taxes that is just absurd for anyone. 

I agree.