laripu

Imaginary scenario

I like playing what-if games.

This one will not happen because Trump will not be convicted in the Senate. (Unless he is, in which case YAY!  But he won't be.)

Imagine these things occurring:

1. Trump is convicted by a narrow vote, 67 to 33.
  2. Trump immediately tweets: the vote was fixed, that 20 Republican senators were paid to vote against him by George Soros, those senators should be impeached, the vote was illegitimate and illegal, he's still the president.
  3. Trump declares martial law.
  4. Pence, who should be sworn in as president, refuses, agreeing with everything Trump tweeted above. He strongly affirms that Trump is still the president.
  5. Since Pence will not take office, the speaker of the House is sworn in by Justice Roberts. Nancy Pelosi becomes the 46th president of the United States.
  6. In the confusion, Trump gets on his plane with his family and flies to Montenegro, which has no extradition treaty with the United States. He asks for political asylum and gets it, promising to build hotels and golf courses on the Adriatic coast.  (For example near this lovely location.) 

What happens next?

• Will the military go along with him?  I expect most won't, but some will.
  • Will all his US assets be frozen as we did to Iran?  I doubt that the government will move fast enough to make this happen before he transfers everything.  Maybe it's already in a country that won't allow it to be frozen.
  • Will Pelosi then run in 2020?  I hope not, but if something this weird could happen, so could that.
  • Will there be a civil war, where armed Republicans, stoked by Rush Limbaugh, try to kill any Democrats in office?  This is what I'd fear if something like this came about.
  • What will other elected Republicans say?

What do you think, in this what-if game?

I think Israel would protect Trump and he would go there.

Trump-KIPPAHmeme1.jpg

TRUMPisrael-CLEAN.jpg

1 hour ago, WillFranklin said:

I think Israel would protect Trump and he would go there.

Since we are tossing around hypotheticals, this one can serve as grist for the mill, as well.   But it's something that never will happen.  Principles aside it would be foolish for Israel to shelter a deposed US president and endanger it's relationship with the US.

15 minutes ago, bludog said:

Since we are tossing around hypotheticals, this one can serve as grist for the mill, as well.   But it's something that never will happen.  Principles aside it would be foolish for Israel to shelter a deposed US president and endanger it's relationship with the US.

Too late.

We are on to them and they know it.

And...

They already named everything after DJT over there and DJT is hot and fast against every Muslim that breathes, even dresses up Nancy and Chuck in Muslim headdress.

17 minutes ago, WillFranklin said:

Too late.

Just one little problem with that:  The US supports Israel.

18 minutes ago, WillFranklin said:

We are on to them and they know it

There's nothing to be "on to". 

23 minutes ago, WillFranklin said:

They already named everything after DJT over there

A few things have been proposed.  A train station, an embassy.  While in no way religious himself, Trump has been a staunch supporter of Israel.  So he is popular there.

24 minutes ago, WillFranklin said:

DJT is hot and fast against every Muslim that breathes, even dresses up Nancy and Chuck in Muslim headdress.

Not all.  For instance, Trump enthusiastically backs the murderous House of Saud.   Other than a few convenient exceptions, Trump is an equal opportunity hater:---  Muslims, Mexicans, and People of Color, in general. 

4 minutes ago, bludog said:

Not all.  For instance, Trump enthusiastically backs the murderous House of Saud.

Shall we look more into why?

5 minutes ago, bludog said:

Just one little problem with that:  The US supports Israel.

Israel is not even a Democracy, with atrocious human rights violations.

You are implying we should trust them.

3 hours ago, laripu said:
  • Trump is convicted by a narrow vote, 67 to 33.
  • Trump immediately tweets: the vote was fixed, that 20 Republican senators were paid to vote against him by George Soros, those senators should be impeached, the vote was illegitimate and illegal, he's still the president.
  • Trump declares martial law.

So far, so good.

Will the military go along with him?  I expect most won't, but some will.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2019/12/17/half-of-active-duty-service-members-are-unhappy-with-trump-new-military-times-poll-shows/

IAAAUGVASFB2XDIJK2UVG6UOGA.png

Still, provided the chain of command doesn't crumble, and that's unlikely, all it would (hypothetically) take for a coup, is one pro-Trump general.

Now we go from the unlikely to the farfetched:

• Pence, who should be sworn in as president, refuses, agreeing with everything Trump tweeted above. He strongly affirms that Trump is still the president.
  • Since Pence will not take office, the speaker of the House is sworn in by Justice Roberts. Nancy Pelosi becomes the 46th president of the United States.
  • In the confusion, Trump gets on his plane with his family and flies to Montenegro, which has no extradition treaty with the United States. He asks for political asylum and gets it, promising to build hotels and golf courses on the Adriatic coast.  (For example near this lovely location.) 

We don't know the depth of Pence' loyalty to Trump or whether he will still offer support after impeachment.  Being a religious zealot, Pence could ostensibly be expected to snatch power and enforce a reign of rapture on an unwilling Nation.

Will Pelosi then run in 2020?  I hope not, but if something this weird could happen, so could that.

She's 79 but still ticking.  I think Pelosi is principled enough to concede power to the candidate who is actually elected.

Will there be a civil war, where armed Republicans, stoked by Rush Limbaugh, try to kill any Democrats in office?  This is what I'd fear if something like this came about.

Lincoln's assassination comes to mind.  And today, the gun-toting Right has already absorbed an enormous amount of hate indoctrination.

What will other elected Republicans say?

They will foam from the nose.  Once that subsides, they will shriek and wail, such has rarely been heard in our lifetimes.

In the confusion, Trump gets on his plane with his family and flies to Montenegro, which has no extradition treaty with the United States. He asks for political asylum and gets it, promising to build hotels and golf courses on the Adriatic coast. 

As I think I mentioned elsewhere, Trump would probably end up in Russia.  He's too much of an exhibitionist to seek a backwater.

(For example near this lovely location.) 

My Gawds, that's beautiful.  May the Powers save it from development.

2 hours ago, laripu said:

What will other elected Republicans say?

peanut butter is good for preserving metal because it has oil and oil protects metal from rust, like peanut butter trump has done nothing wrong if anything he helped because he is oily

and peanut butter has never been better since trump

cat in the hat ?

who the hell knows anymore 

2 hours ago, rrober49 said:

peanut butter is good for preserving metal because it has oil and oil protects metal from rust, like peanut butter trump has done nothing wrong if anything he helped because he is oily

and peanut butter has never been better since trump

cat in the hat ?

lol

5 hours ago, WillFranklin said:

Shall we look more into why?

Will Trump is pals with the Saudis? For the same reason that every American president is friendly with them.

OIL.

36 minutes ago, Cecelia said:

Wouldn't Trump just go to Russia?

He might, but it's cold. Too cold, I think. Montenegro never gets too cold, never gets too hot, probably because of the Adriatic Sea. Also great for water sports.

The Montenegrin language is similar to Melania's Slovenian. He can make a lot of money in Montenegro developing property. Plus no extradition.

And this:

Luštica
https://maps.app.goo.gl/po7fQNmuwUBkFBv87