ExPDXer

Mr. Carlin meets Voltaire

George: “Hey you! “

Voltaire: “Who, me?”

George: “Yeah, aren’t you that guy who said “The perfect is the enemy of the good?””

Voltaire: “Actually, I was misquoted. I did mention once, that  “The better is the enemy of the good, however…....””

George: “Right. When I grew up, the nuns would insist that bad was the enemy of the good. Which is it, bad or better?

Voltaire: I never thought about that, but it seems logical that bad would also be the enemy of the good, and by reciprocation, good would also be the enemy of the bad. That doesn’t preclude the fact that better would the enemy of the good as well.

George: So, let me get this straight, both bad and better are enemies of the good. Good seems to have a lot of enemies. What about worse? Wouldn’t worse be the enemy of the good?

Voltaire: I never thought about that, but it seems logical that worse would also be the enemy of the good, but primarily worst is the enemy of bad. Things generally go from bad to worse, and from good to better. I still insist that better is the enemy of the good.

George: Ok, so bad, better, and worse are all enemies of the good. Why are you just picking on better?  What I meant to ask you about was perfect. Is perfect the enemy of the good?

Voltaire: Yes, perfect would also be the enemy of the good, but since perfection is unattainable, it really doesn’t count. Complete perfection, and complete imperfection cannot be achieved, except in election years.

George: I think I’ve got it. Bad, better, worse, complete imperfection, and complete perfection are all enemies of the good, and good, worse, better, complete perfection, and complete imperfection are all enemies of the bad. What happens when good is replaced by better, (or bad is replaced by worse)? Does bad get replaced by good? Would that be a good thing, or a bad thing? Are better, and worse their own worst enemies?

3 hours ago, ExPDXer said:

What happens when good is replaced by better

When good is replaced by better, new problems arise which are consequences of whatever was better.

• Horse-drawn carriages caused poop on the road, flies, and insect-borne disease.  Fast shiny cars cause pollution. Both kill people.
  • Glass containers for products are heavy to transport and fragile, dangerous when they break.  Plastic containers are lighter, hence cheaper to transport and much less fragile, but plastic pollution is terrible for the environment.

Each improvement comes with its own problems, because there's one universal truth about life on earth: you and I ain't gettin' out alive.