Sign in to follow this  
bludog

Man vs Earth and the Importance of Trees

Excellent video about pollution, global warming and one thing we can do now to mitigate their effects ...  Work to save the world's forests and plant more trees.

https://standfortrees.org/en/

5&1/2 minutes.

I am growing lemon and orange trees from seeds and starting them in NC.

I have started nine lemon trees and a couple of orange trees.

I also ordered two orange trees and planted them as well.

Next year I know how to start these better and will focus more on orange trees, all from seed.

9 hours ago, WillFranklin said:

I am growing lemon and orange trees from seeds and starting them in Wilmington, NC

That's great. 

We have trees growing around the outside of our house including a big red ash tree named Woody, in the front.  Woody is green in the spring and summer but turns red before shedding his leaves in autumn.  I hung a bird feeder from a lower branch and as I type, I can look out the window and view the different species that come to feed in winter.

I give Woody a hug now and then.

It is natural to ask if there is some immense technological fix which can reverse global warming.  Scientists and others are dreaming up many schemes, most of which would be very expensive and likely to have serious, even disastrous, unintended consequences.

But there is one, easily available solution that has enormous potential to tackle climate crisis.  Research shows that planting a trillion trees, around the world, is one of the biggest and cheapest ways of taking CO2 out of the atmosphere, slowing down climate change to less than half it's present rate of progression. 

CO2 and methane can be further reduced by the replacement of combustion with renewable energy and the increased consumption of plant based meat substitutes and beverages ...  Thus greatly reducing the size of the worldwide livestock and dairy industries.

Together, without any other technological fixes, these two methods can halt the progression of global warming.  Now, all it will take to tackle climate change is popular insistence and the political will to take action.

As trees grow, they absorb and store the carbon dioxide emissions that are driving global heating. New research estimates that a worldwide planting programme could remove two-thirds of all the emissions from human activities that remain in the atmosphere today, a figure the scientists describe as “mind-blowing”.

The analysis found there are 1.7bn hectares of treeless land on which 1.2tn native tree saplings would naturally grow. That area is about 11% of all land and equivalent to the size of the US and China combined. Tropical areas could have 100% tree cover, while others would be more sparsely covered, meaning that on average about half the area would be under tree canopy.

The scientists specifically excluded all fields used to grow crops and urban areas from their analysis. But they did include grazing land, on which the researchers say a few trees can also benefit sheep and cattle.

“This new quantitative evaluation shows [forest] restoration isn’t just one of our climate change solutions, it is overwhelmingly the top one,” said Prof Tom Crowther at the Swiss university ETH Zürich, who led the research. “What blows my mind is the scale. I thought restoration would be in the top 10, but it is overwhelmingly more powerful than all of the other climate change solutions proposed.”

- snip -

Read More:---    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jul/04/planting-billions-trees-best-tackle-climate-crisis-scientists-canopy-emissions

The tree, commonly known as a dawn redwood — Metasequoia glyptostroboides — from the cypress family (Cupressaceae), is actually a “living fossil” from China. These trees, thought to be extinct, were discovered in remote valleys in central China in the 1940s.

it is one of a few  evergreens  that sheds its needless each fall /shrug I thought it was dead,  learned a lot about it after it woke up in spring 

they say it grows to 120 feet in 30 years . I have room for a few more but trying to stay within drought tolerant and regional

being able to grow a lime or lemon tree would be wonderful and  givin  current events I might find my region in a climate that could support a lime tree in the next 20 years 

they share what they do not need , some scientists suggest they feed their young  seedlings over other trees around them  first , but I think this link is about how they network 

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2019/exploring-the-underground-network-of-trees-the-nervous-system-of-the-forest/

we need to do a better job putting fires out  and we can 

1 hour ago, rrober49 said:

The tree, commonly known as a dawn redwood — Metasequoia glyptostroboides — from the cypress family (Cupressaceae), is actually a “living fossil” from China. These trees, thought to be extinct, were discovered in remote valleys in central China in the 1940s.

Impressive that you're actually growing some of these unique, very interesting trees.

1 hour ago, rrober49 said:

we need to do a better job putting fires out  and we can 

Agreed.

And we need to practice forest management techniques that reduce the spread of fires and their devastation.  Logging has removed most of the largest, most fire resistant trees.  Livestock are another problem promoting the spread of fires.

More at:    https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/public_lands/forests/ecosystem_restoration/fire_and_forest_management.html