laripu

Citizenship tests

My wife and I became US citizens in 2006. One if the requirements was that we had to pass a test. Ability to speak, read and write English was part of that, as well as an oral test on civics.

The civics test was easy for us. Having come from Canada, we had already absorbed a lot just from watching US TV channels. We also got plenty of US news on elections, big trials, trade disputes, war, etc.

To pass, you need 60%, on at least 10 questions chosen from 100 practise questions. Both my wife and I got the first six right, so they stopped asking and we passed. (One of mine was to name the first 13 states. I studied. 🙂)

I took an online US practise test for fun a few minutes ago and got 19/20. I missed the question about the age at which a man must register for the draft. I thought it was 16, and the right answer is 18 to 26. So I took another test a second time and got 20/20.

Today I read that Meghan Sussex (i.e. Markle) will have to pass a UK citizenship test. So I got curious about that. Their test is chosen from 3000 facts. They ask 24 questions and you have to get 18 right. I took the UK test on line and got 13/24. But there are many different UK practise tests there, so I took two more and got 19/24 in each of those. Not bad, without studying.

You can find US practise tests here: https://my.uscis.gov/prep/test/civics

You can find UK practise tests here: https://lifeintheuktestweb.co.uk/british-citizenship-test-1/

Try them. You won't get kicked out of the country if you fail.

Kinda fun:

Scored 100% in a US practice test.  Scored dismally  (16 out of 24) on the first British practice test.  Some were nothing more than trivia questions:---  In which building exactly, is Big Ben located?  What kind of citizenship question is that?  On the US test I was never in doubt of any answer.  On the British test, I had to guess a lot.

I tried the Canadian test too. I got 19/20. The question I missed was Canada's top industry. It's the service industry. I should have gotten that.

If you're interested:

http://www.citizenshipcounts.ca/quiz

I'm pretty sure most Americans will do worse in this than on the UK test. Canada is taken for granted and found boring. Incorrectly, I think, but that's just my opinion.

13 minutes ago, bludog said:

On the British test, I had to guess a lot.

I guessed on the British test too, but those are reasoned guesses because of multiple choice. You eliminate the ridiculous, then work from general knowledge of dates etc. (That's how I got through high school without studying much. It didn't work in university.)

There are multiple different tests, so if you take it again you'll get a different score, maybe better.

16 minutes ago, bludog said:

On the US test I was never in doubt of any answer.

I'm not surprised by that at all.

25 minutes ago, bludog said:

Some were nothing more than trivia questions:---  In which building exactly, is Big Ben located?  What kind of citizenship question is that? 

Same as knowing in which city you'd find the Liberty Bell. It's general cultural knowledge, and they always include some of those. I think that used to be one of the possible questions; not any more.

When I took the US test, the interviewer apologized for being required to ask me to read an English sentence aloud and write a sentence in English that he spoke. Checking the box, I guess. He was a pleasant man, of Indian origin. (Not native American, in case of confusion). My wife's interviewer was a crabby lady, and maybe she was prejudiced because my wife has a German accent. She gets that sometimes.