Totally the same, in a different kind of way

The following sentence is totally identical with this one, except that the words "following" and "preceding" have been exchanged, as have the words "except" and "in", and the phrases "identical with" and "different from".

The preceding sentence is totally different from this one, in that the words "preceding" and  "following" have been exchanged, as have the words "in" and "except", and the phrases "different from" and "identical with".

But who's shaving the barber in the mirror?

What about the set of all sets that don't contain themselves? Do the feel joy? The joy of sets?

Who would have had the nerve to smile and tell Kurt Gödel to go f*ck himself?

nickieatmirror.jpg

Thise sentences remind me of Hofstadter's Gödel, Escher, Bach, which I read as an undergrad.

Specifically, Crab Canon.

It's worth a read.

Edit to add:

I did a search, and I see they're actually from a different book by Hofstader.

I heard a lecture by him around 1982 approximately, and he was an incredibly boring speaker. But he did sign my work out copy of GEB, and that book was great.

Yes, great book (GEB). I just finished his recent book " I Am A Strange Loop", which has several more examples of self-reference, and loopy behaviour. Although I've highlighted some fanciful quotes, it primarily deals with levels of abstraction related to the neural processing of symbols (such as "I"), etc.

Not as intricate as GEB, IMHO, but maybe worth a read if you haven't already.

Other examples from that book:

I eee oai o ooa a e ooi eee o oe.

Ths sntnc cntns n vwls nd th prcdng sntnc n cnsnnts.

This pangram tallies five a's, one b, one c, two d's twenty-eight e's, eight f's, six g's, eight h's thirteen i's, one j, one k, three i's two m's, eighteen n's, fifteen o's, two p's one q, seven r's, twenty-five s's, twenty-two t's, four u's, four v's, nine w's, two x's, four y's, and one z.

If wishes were horses, the antecedent clause in this conditional sentence would be true.