Mysterious drones are flying around the Midwest and no one has answers

Image result for Mysterious drones are flying around the Midwest and no one has answers "

What are these drones doing and why? No one is telling the public.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mysterious-drones-are-flying-around-the-midwest-great-plains-and-no-one-has-answers/ar-BBYy8PO?ocid=spartanntp

(Full article at above link)

Local and federal authorities are investigating confirmed reports of mysterious drone sightings in northeastern Colorado and Nebraska that appeared in the night sky this week.

Sheriff's offices in Lincoln, Washington and Sedgwick counties have been getting calls this week about the unknown winged devices after initial reports came out of Phillips and Yuma counties, sheriffs said.

The drones reportedly have 6-foot wingspans and fly between 7 and 10 p.m. in gridlike patterns 150 to 200 feet in the air in groups of six to 10, the Denver Post reported.

Yuma County Sheriff Todd Combs said in a Facebook post Tuesday that the drones are flying in airspace controlled by the federal government, however, the Federal Aviation Administration, the Drug Enforcement Administration, the U.S. Air Force, and the U.S. Army Forces Command said they don’t have any information.

The Yuma County Sheriff’s Office said it doesn’t have jurisdiction over that airspace and that shooting a drone out of the sky could break federal laws, because drones are recognized as aircrafts.

Combs said on Facebook that local sheriff’s offices, police departments and federal government agencies have scheduled a meeting Jan. 6 to develop a plan to identify who or what is controlling these drones.

“There are many theories about what is going on, but at this point, that’s all they are,” he wrote. “I think we are all feeling a little bit vulnerable due to the intrusion of our privacy that we enjoy in our rural community, but I don’t have a solution or know of one right now.”

Amazon, Paragon Geophysical Services, the U.S. Geological Survey, the Colorado Department of Transportation and UAV Recon have all denied connections to the drones, according to the Denver Post.

In an emailed statement to the Denver Post Monday, FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said the agency will be proposing a rule change that would allow law enforcement and federal security agencies to remotely identify drones that fly through their jurisdictions.

According to the FAA website, more than 1.5 million drones were registered with the FAA as of Dec. 10.

Image result for Mysterious drones are flying around the Midwest and no one has answers "

3 hours ago, DeepBreath said:

Well, if I were a betting man they’re looking for chicks sunbathing topless. 

They could be peeping in windows. But, really, what are the odds that a whole lot of men came up with the same idea at the same time to spy on scantily clad women? Come to think of it, I wouldn't bet against it.

5 minutes ago, SBED said:

And if they don't?

Confiscation and a fine is the current penalty. You don't need a license for not commercial drone flights under a certain weight limit. Registering your drone is only $5 and is required for drones more than a couple pounds. Most toy drones are too light to require registration.

^^^

(Commercial drone pilot)

4 minutes ago, NeoConvict said:

Confiscation and a fine is the current penalty. You don't need a license for not commercial drone flights under a certain weight limit. Registering your drone is only $5 and is required for drones more than a couple pounds. Most toy drones are too light to require registration.

^^^

(Commercial drone pilot)

Not sure about 2 pound cut off but registration is $5 and good for 3 years I think. I have a mavic pro and am just a hobbyist.

41 minutes ago, NeoConvict said:

Yeah, I was wrong. It's any drone over half a pound that requires registration. 

Apparently thats why the mavic mini is 249grams I guess because it is so light it also can go above 400'. Anyone thinking of buying one of these needs to verify that though. Also wind can be a real issue with something so small, people on forums have mentioned this being a problem.

6 minutes ago, SBED said:

They better start with a Gun Grab first. No one is confiscating my guns or drones.

Especially since you have neither.

A policeman appears at your door and asks for your drone and you are actually going to shoot him dead?

Not bloody likely.

Even though you are an idiot.

33 minutes ago, fourputt said:

Apparently thats why the mavic mini is 249grams I guess because it is so light it also can go above 400'. Anyone thinking of buying one of these needs to verify that though. Also wind can be a real issue with something so small, people on forums have mentioned this being a problem.

Think I will stick to the mavic pro 2 and the inspire. Even those don't like 30 mph winds. They do pretty well as far as picture stability in those but the battery life goes way down. 

2 minutes ago, splunch said:

Amazon testing out coordinating flights for their drone delivery program.  Practicing their air traffic control software.

More likely someone doing lidar mapping using an automated drone deployment tool. They are flying patterns after dusk and lidar works best at night.

1 hour ago, NeoConvict said:

More likely someone doing lidar mapping using an automated drone deployment tool. They are flying patterns after dusk and lidar works best at night.

Most likely this.

As a professional pilot, I'm not a big fan of drones - to many idiots out there and it's only a matter of time. I know they're not going anywhere any time soon - but when something happens.....

I also thought it's kind of weird it's illegal to shoot a drone when it's flying low over your backyard, and invading your privacy. Pretty confident if my daughter is in swim gear in or around the pool and a drone decides to hover in our privacy zone, I'll get my Benelli and deal with it.

2 minutes ago, LaughinAtLefty said:

Most likely this.

As a professional pilot, I'm not a big fan of drones - to many idiots out there and it's only a matter of time. I know they're not going anywhere any time soon - but when something happens.....

You are a pilot? wow

9 minutes ago, LaughinAtLefty said:

Most likely this.

I also thought it's kind of weird it's illegal to shoot a drone when it's flying low over your backyard, and invading your privacy. Pretty confident if my daughter is in swim gear in or around the pool and a drone decides to hover in our privacy zone, I'll get my Benelli and deal with it.

It's considered interfering with an aircraft operation and has the same penalty as shooting at any other craft. It's a felony. It's illegal to fly beyond line of sight without a waiver so chances are pretty good you can find the operator and chat with them. I wouldn't shoot one down for another reason. Fast discharge lipo batteries have a habit of exploding when ruptured creating a five pound flaming ball of death that could seriously injure someone or start a fire.

17 minutes ago, NeoConvict said:

It's considered interfering with an aircraft operation and has the same penalty as shooting at any other craft. It's a felony. It's illegal to fly beyond line of sight without a waiver so chances are pretty good you can find the operator and chat with them. I wouldn't shoot one down for another reason. Fast discharge lipo batteries have a habit of exploding when ruptured creating a five pound flaming ball of death that could seriously injure someone or start a fire.

Haruumph…….good points duly noted.