Robert Reich on Why Replacing Trump With A Democrat Is Priority #1.

bludog

5 hours ago, WillFranklin said:

Meanwhile if we just choose any "Democrat" we get shit soup for our turn so I am not playing that game, I would rather wait another cycle.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/joe-biden-republican-2020-vp-nominee

I believe Biden was being facetious.  He was having his cake and eating it too.

Biden was (legitimately) insulting the Republican Party by implying that he couldn't think of a single Republican good enough for the office ...  An office he, previously held.   Plus, it was a good joke which the audience appreciated..  Also, he was demonstrating what an open-minded, magnanimous guy he is while in actuality, ruling out a Republican running mate.  All-in-all, it was a backhanded compliment, both humorous and subtle.

29 minutes ago, bludog said:

I believe Biden was being facetious.  He was having his cake and eating it too.

Biden was (legitimately) insulting the Republican Party by implying that he couldn't think of a single Republican good enough for the office ...  An office he, previously held.   Plus, it was a good joke which the audience appreciated..  Also, he was demonstrating what an open-minded, magnanimous guy he is while in actuality, ruling out a Republican running mate.  All-in-all, it was a backhanded compliment, both humorous and subtle.

He is senile shit soup.

Obama gave private health insurance their last chance to be fair and they failed by the way.

22 minutes ago, WillFranklin said:

He is senile shit soup.

Not the way I would put it but I have to agree.  Watching him speak, Biden seems to be failing badly.  I can't understand why more people don't recognize (acknowledge?) it.

26 minutes ago, WillFranklin said:

Obama gave private health insurance their last chance to be fair and they failed by the way.

I'm in favor of removing insurance from health care.  It's effect is like sand in a car engine.  Winning elections is another thing and people, afraid of abrupt change need to be given the choice of a public option.  As single payer proves itself, most people will opt out of private insurance

31 minutes ago, bludog said:

Not the way I would put it but I have to agree.  Watching him speak, Biden seems to be failing badly.  I can't understand why more people don't recognize (acknowledge?) it.

I'm in favor of removing insurance from health care.  It's effect is like sand in a car engine.  Winning elections is another thing and people, afraid of abrupt change need to be given the choice of a public option.  As single payer proves itself, most people will opt out of private insurance

I forgot how much I loved you.

On 12/31/2019 at 12:13 PM, WillFranklin said:

This is both 100% true, and also 100% ignorant of the politics of American selfishness. A long complicated explanation follows. (Politics is complicated, so suck it up.)

I'm completely in favor person of single payer government-provided health-care, but I'm unusual in my experience because I come from Canada, where Medicare is universal and pretty good. Not perfect, but good enough that very few Canadians would want to give it up.

But not all the people in my position, who have my company-subsidized health care, would agree with me. The company for which I work pays for 75% of the cost of my PPO. There are many excellent in-network doctors within a mile of my home. My wife had excellent care both for breast cancer (in 2000, double mastectomy and chemo) and for a broken hip and hip replacement (in 2014). The former had negligible copays. Prices went up with Obamacare, so the 2014 event cost $4000 in out-of-pocket expenses; but we can easily afford it. She's now on Medicare + Humana PPO, with $5000 out of pocket maximum, while I'm still on my work coverage.

My point:

1. People in my position, and there are many, may not see the benefits of single payer health coverage.

2. Most people vote selfishly, based on their self-interest.

For many, Obamacare failed.

For many, it improved their position vis-a-vis healthcare, so they like it.

For many it costs more and doesn't give them anything they didn't already have. (Like me.)

For the last two groups, it will be hard to convince them to support single payer government healthcare, unless (like me) they understand why single payer healthcare is a societal good. (There aren't a lot of altruistic people. I see altruism as being to my benefit, but few do.) That seems unfair, but it's the true politics of the situation.

On 12/31/2019 at 12:46 PM, bludog said:

Winning elections is another thing and people, afraid of abrupt change need to be given the choice of a public option.  As single payer proves itself, most people will opt out of private insurance

I agree. See my post above.

People must be slowly convinced or they'll vote against a change they don't understand.

14 hours ago, fourputt said:

Compared to other videos Robert Reich has done I see a much more serious tone this time around, he's basically saying if trump wins in 2020 were screwed.

I have to agree with him on that.   I'll go one up on that.....if Democrats don't take over BOTH the White House and the Senate (as well as hold the House majority), we're pretty screwed.  Those 400 bills will continue to sit on Moscow Mitch's desk with nothing getting done and an electorate hungry for change would slowly lose faith.  I don't want that to happen.

November needs to be another blue tsunami.  

1 minute ago, rrober49 said:

trump cant even build the wall he was elected to build and it's his party 

need the senate or it will just be a drawn out fight till they get someone else elected 

I agree, rrober49.  I'd love to see a progressive like Sanders or Warren get the nomination, but I'm prepared to vote for whomever the nominee is....then push for progressive change from there.

What needs to be acknowledged is Trump knows winning this election is him remaining free also. The establishment needs to be aware of this glaring situation and needs to be prepared for basically anything from this deranged person. Most likely he will never see the inside of a jail cell but the challenges he faces once hes no longer president will be daunting and his kids may not be as lucky as him when it comes to skirting justice, and who here doubts he would even let one of his own kids get incarcerated in his place.

On 1/2/2020 at 12:07 PM, fourputt said:

What needs to be acknowledged is Trump knows winning this election is him remaining free also. The establishment needs to be aware of this glaring situation and needs to be prepared for basically anything from this deranged person. Most likely he will never see the inside of a jail cell but the challenges he faces once hes no longer president will be daunting and his kids may not be as lucky as him when it comes to skirting justice, and who here doubts he would even let one of his own kids get incarcerated in his place.

Yes this is all true, except that he'd mostly likely pardon any of his kids after letting them take the fall 

The diminutive Robert Reich. He's short, but man he's quick at spelling it out in a truthful manner. He's absolutely right. I just got done reading Chernow's Hamilton. So whilst it seems as though his life is a non sequitur towards this discussion, in a lot of ways it isn't.

Caught in the middle and with giving a darn about all sides simply professing what should come to mind because it matters quite a lot is how we should want the greatest minds to think about a way forward for all.

When we discuss cost, or earnings, or leverage most especially when it comes to entering into war, we need to ask the questions and be unafraid of what means we as a society should take

with the understanding of the individual and the whole. We're only human, we know. We should know that feudalism does not work. Nor does unrestricted capitalism or any centralized 

Grandeur. (and yes, I am high as a kite)

Peace!