Jump to content

A Stirring of Conscience in the Senate


Recommended Posts

At least one Republican, Lisa Murkowski, wants the Trump impeachment trial to be more than a test of party loyalty. Others should follow.

 

But in a Republican Party so cowed by this president, with most lawmakers too timid to question even his most grotesque behavior, Ms. Murkowski’s expression of concern sets her apart.

 

The senator is sending a message, to her constituents as well as to Mr. McConnell, that she does not want to be viewed as a rubber stamp for a preordained acquittal. She takes her public duty more seriously than party loyalty, and she can be pushed too far.

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/opinion/trump-impeachment-senate-trial.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, leftwinger said:

At least one Republican, Lisa Murkowski, wants the Trump impeachment trial to be more than a test of party loyalty. Others should follow.

 

But in a Republican Party so cowed by this president, with most lawmakers too timid to question even his most grotesque behavior, Ms. Murkowski’s expression of concern sets her apart.

 

The senator is sending a message, to her constituents as well as to Mr. McConnell, that she does not want to be viewed as a rubber stamp for a preordained acquittal. She takes her public duty more seriously than party loyalty, and she can be pushed too far.

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/opinion/trump-impeachment-senate-trial.html

 

I certainly respect Ms. Murkowski's concerns. That being said, anything would be an improvement of the bipartisan House vote that found no Republicans agreeing with the majority and Pelosi failing to hold her caucus together, having Democrat defectors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Olivaw said:

We need four Republican senators of good conscience to prevent Moscow Mitch from ramming through his pro Trump trial rules. I’m no longer confident there are four Republicans senators of good conscience. 

 

We need to show the Senate that most Americans do not want a corrupt President and corrupt party defending him. This is still early in the process.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, neue regel said:

 

I certainly respect Ms. Murkowski's concerns. That being said, anything would be an improvement of the bipartisan House vote that found no Republicans agreeing with the majority and Pelosi failing to hold her caucus together, having Democrat defectors.

 

So? Impeachment is not supposed to be bipartisan. By design. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, neue regel said:

 

I certainly respect Ms. Murkowski's concerns. That being said, anything would be an improvement of the bipartisan House vote that found no Republicans agreeing with the majority and Pelosi failing to hold her caucus together, having Democrat defectors.


The House voted to Impeach. 

Impeachment enjoys the support of millions of Americans. 

Ergo, the House voted the will of millions of Americans. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Olivaw said:


The House voted to Impeach. 

Impeachment enjoys the support of millions of Americans. 

Ergo, the House voted the will of millions of Americans. 

 


And, of course, millions of others thought it was a sham. The Republicans represented that constituent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, leftwinger said:

At least one Republican, Lisa Murkowski, wants the Trump impeachment trial to be more than a test of party loyalty. Others should follow.

 

But in a Republican Party so cowed by this president, with most lawmakers too timid to question even his most grotesque behavior, Ms. Murkowski’s expression of concern sets her apart.

 

The senator is sending a message, to her constituents as well as to Mr. McConnell, that she does not want to be viewed as a rubber stamp for a preordained acquittal. She takes her public duty more seriously than party loyalty, and she can be pushed too far.

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/opinion/trump-impeachment-senate-trial.html

Murkowski is a left wing kunt!!!

 

Try stirring this you left wing M-Fuker!!!

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Olivaw said:


The House voted to Impeach. 

Impeachment enjoys the support of millions of Americans. 

Ergo, the House voted the will of millions of Americans. 

 

You're in for a hell of a shock, don't have any sharp objects near you on election night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, neue regel said:


And, of course, millions of others thought it was a sham. The Republicans represented that constituent. 

Nah, a few House Republicans claimed it was a sham and a few million gullible rubes bought it. 
 

The majority saw through the Republican ploy. Support for impeachment and removal remains strong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Olivaw said:

The majority saw through the Republican ploy. Support for impeachment and removal remains strong. 

 

Trump has bragged his whole life about cheating others to get what he wants.

 

All of a sudden, the GOP is shocked that anyone could think Trump did something wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Olivaw said:

Nah, a few House Republicans claimed it was a sham and a few million gullible rubes bought it. 
 

The majority saw through the Republican ploy. Support for impeachment and removal remains strong. 


Not among elected officials. Zero yes votes from Republicans and a couple of no votes from Pelosi’s caucus. Honestly, a disaster for Democrats. 
 

That’s how you get to a speaker who doesn’t want to move it to the Senate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, leftwinger said:

 

Trump has bragged his whole life about cheating others to get what he wants.

 

All of a sudden, the GOP is shocked that anyone could think Trump did something wrong.


We’ve heard he needed impeaching for three years....so no one is really shocked. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, leftwinger said:

 

Trump has bragged his whole life about cheating others to get what he wants.

 

All of a sudden, the GOP is shocked that anyone could think Trump did something wrong.


Most Republican politicians know that Trump is guilty but they are too self serving to admit it. It’s politically beneficial for them to maintain the lie that a bully like Trump is somehow the victim here.  It plays to the victimhood narrative that working class white males revel in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...