Don Imus, Radio Host Who Pushed Boundaries, Dies at 79

drvoke

Image result for Don Imus, Radio Host Who Pushed Boundaries, Dies at 79 "

I remember when Imus used the term "nappy-headed hos" Obama went ballistic. I think he got him fired.

Senator Barack Obama of Illinois, who was running for president, called for Mr. Imus’s removal.

“He didn’t just cross the line,” Mr. Obama said. “He fed into some of the worst stereotypes that my two young daughters are having to deal with today in America.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/celebrity/don-imus-radio-host-who-pushed-boundaries-dies-at-79/ar-BBYp7BZ?ocid=spartanntp

(Full article at above link)

Don Imus, who tested the limits of shock radio with his irreverent attacks on celebrities, politicians, racial and ethnic groups, women, gay people and practically anyone whose head stuck up out of the foxhole, died on Friday in College Station, Texas. He was 79.

A publicist, Matthew Hiltzik, confirmed his death, at Baylor Scott and White Medical Center. The cause was not specified. On his “Imus in the Morning” show on March 16, 2009, Mr. Imus disclosed that he had prostate cancer. He was advised to have radiation treatments, but said he chose to treat the disease holistically.

For nearly a half-century — from his start on local stations in the West in 1968, through a succession of New York regional and national radio stations and cable networks, until his retirement in 2018 — Mr. Imus, with occasional and sometimes extended timeouts for illnesses, accidents or legal problems, entertained and offended countless millions with his mercurial outbursts.

The outpouring of sympathy after his disclosure about his prostate cancer reflected not only his wide following as a radio personality but also admiration for his private charity work, raising millions for the rehabilitation of wounded veterans of the Iraq war and for children with cancer and siblings of victims of sudden infant death syndrome, who had spent summers since 1999 on his ranch near Ribera, N.M.

The public Don Imus was different. Grizzled, irascible, foulmouthed, an outrageous, confrontational growler with a buckram face, a battered cowboy hat and a gun on his hip, Mr. Imus survived alcoholism, cocaine addiction, repeated firings, a nearly fatal fall from a horse and decades on the air with pranks and parodies that were often brutish, tasteless or obscene and sometimes racist, sexist or homophobic.

In the more printable Imus lexicon, Dick Cheney was “a war criminal,” Hillary Rodham Clinton was “Satan,” Oprah Winfrey “a fat phony,” Newt Gingrich “a man who would eat roadkill,” Ted Kennedy “a fat slob,” Steve Forbes “a meanspirited creep,” Dan Rather “a loony,” Rush Limbaugh “a drug-addled gas bag.” Many listeners detected the toxins of Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Mort Sahl or Groucho Marx

Sponsors worried, but paid handsomely for airtime. His employers waffled, but took in $50 million a year and paid him $10 million. He was sued for defamation, denounced, ridiculed, shunned, hated and feared. But legions of devoted listeners — a drive-time audience of millions tuned in to 100 radio stations across the country and a cable television network — adored his irreverence and gut-fighter’s instincts.

After years on the edge of acceptable standards, however, Mr. Imus evidently went too far on April 4, 2007, when, in his trademark drawl, he referred to the Rutgers University women’s basketball team, which had reached the N.C.A.A. finals and was composed mainly of African-Americans, as “rough girls” and “nappy-headed hos.”

An outcry by black organizations, women’s groups and the news media ensued. The Rev. Al Sharpton organized protest rallies. Advertisers withdrew. Senator Barack Obama of Illinois, who was running for president, called for Mr. Imus’s removal.

“He didn’t just cross the line,” Mr. Obama said. “He fed into some of the worst stereotypes that my two young daughters are having to deal with today in America.”

Supporters defended Mr. Imus, pointing to his charitable work. And he apologized, saying, “This time we went way too far.” But CBS, his main employer, and MSNBC, the cable network that simulcast his radio show, canceled his show, which had been heard in New York on WFAN.

Eight months later, after Mr. Imus and CBS settled a lawsuit over his $40 million contract and a suit against him by a Rutgers player was dropped, Mr. Imus returned to the air under contracts with Citadel Radio and RFD-TV, the rural television network. The show was heard on WABC and dozens of radio affiliates, and simulcast on RFD-TV. But in 2009, Mr. Imus and RFD-TV mutually agreed to end their contract three years early, clearing the way for a simulcast on the Fox Business Network.

“Dick Cheney is still a war criminal,” he said. “Hillary Clinton is still Satan. And I’m back on the radio.”

In a commentary in The New York Times, the media columnist David Carr wrote: “Mr. Imus’s friends will tell you that he is not a racist in his heart. But what is or is not in the heart of a radio talk show host is much less important than what comes out of his mouth.”

John Donald Imus Jr. was born on July 23, 1940, in Riverside, Calif. 

15 minutes ago, drvoke said:

Image result for Don Imus, Radio Host Who Pushed Boundaries, Dies at 79 "

I remember when Imus used the term "nappy-headed hos" Obama went ballistic. I think he got him fired.

Senator Barack Obama of Illinois, who was running for president, called for Mr. Imus’s removal.

You can always count on Obama and his followers to want to ban free speech that doesn't fit their narrative. 

4 hours ago, impartialobserver said:

If I was to be a radio talk show host and tell the world that you were a child molester, would you shrug it off as free speech?

Yes. Why wouldn't I? Nobody said that all free speech is going to be pleasant. You cannot just pick and choose as you like.

Just now, impartialobserver said:

The fact that you care enough to acknowledge these "lies" shows me that you care and are not going to simply shrug it off as "free speech"

How do you figure that? Acknowledging the lies is not the same as stopping them. They lie, i know they lie, and i choose to not care that they lie. Thats that.