fourputt

Ancestry DNA kit

Warren ? but she doesnt pick up when I call :(

/duck

if it is for amusement ? the more off it is the more fun it will be  

you might be the tallest Pygmy the whole wide world !

I think it would be fun to do and share with the family, right of wrong

I lived in two places in Montreal from age 5 to age 19, about 5 miles from each other. From age 5 to 11 in the first, and from 11 to 19 in the second. I had buddies in both places that lived a couple of doors from me in each place.

I lost touch with the first one, call him M.

The second one, call him B, was adopted. He always wanted to know who his birth parents were. He did a DNA test and discovered that the kid I lived near up to age 11, M, was his natural brother. He discovered many siblings and half siblings. They communicate and have met each other.

(I've spoken to B, but I don't want to communicate with M.)

When I heard about this, I thought it might be some sort of scam. It turns out, not everything is about me. 😁  It's real.

Well anyway I got 2 of the kits one for my mom and another for my wife's mom. One just turned 90 and the other is 82 so hopefully there's some interesting info included.

10 hours ago, fourputt said:

Well anyway I got 2 of the kits one for my mom and another for my wife's mom. One just turned 90 and the other is 82 so hopefully there's some interesting info included.

they may need some help doing the tests.

23 minutes ago, jerra- said:

they may need some help doing the tests.

Really? What do you think they may need help with, I thought you only needed to just take a swab inside the mouth or give saliva sample.

40 minutes ago, fourputt said:

Really? What do you think they may need help with, I thought you only needed to just take a swab inside the mouth or give saliva sample.

you have to fill a vial with saliva, it takes awhile to do. this is ancestry's test.

I didn't really enjoy it.

the results were nice to see. i was surprised that i have norweigan dna and that i have over 70,000 dna matches with more than 1,000  4th cousins.

On 12/23/2019 at 12:18 PM, fourputt said:

Anyone ever try one of these or know someone who has?

Yes, I have.  It was very helpful in tracking my lineage.  My grandmother divorced my grandfather, and we couldn't track him, except for knowing that he died in Texas in 1940.  My mother and grandmother were deceased.  And even before that they refused to talk about him.  

I did the DNA test, and everything popped up.  Tracked him through cousin's trees. It works really well for opening areas of a family tree.

I read recently of a family that their son had committed suicide about 20 years ago.  When they did a DNA test, a son popped up from their deceased son.  It really made them happy.  

My wife and I may do DNA tests one day.

I'm of all Eastern European Jewish ancestry, but I have a common German surname. My father was Lithuanian, but there was immigration from Germany to Lithuania in the mid 19th century. My wife is of all German Catholic ancestry, but her mother's maiden name is a common Polish-Jewish surname. (In fact, there's a street in Tel Aviv with that name, and the person buried next to my uncle had that name.)

That fits with some traits we have:

As a hobby, I make beer and sausages. I've made sauerkraut too.

My wife has a very organized attitude to home finance that reminds me completely of my mother. Sometimes we joke that she's channeling my mother.

Are these things coincidences? Probably. But I do expect DNA results to show that I have a significant amount of German ancestry, and that my wife has a significant amount of Jewish ancestry.

Maybe, since diluted, something like 1/32.

Which proves what we all know: everyone happily f**ks everyone.

7 hours ago, laripu said:

My wife and I may do DNA tests one day.

I'm of all Eastern European Jewish ancestry, but I have a common German surname. My father was Lithuanian, but there was immigration from Germany to Lithuania in the mid 19th century. My wife is of all German Catholic ancestry, but her mother's maiden name is a common Polish-Jewish surname. (In fact, there's a street in Tel Aviv with that name, and the person buried next to my uncle had that name.)

That fits with some traits we have:

As a hobby, I make beer and sausages. I've made sauerkraut too.

My wife has a very organized attitude to home finance that reminds me completely of my mother. Sometimes we joke that she's channeling my mother.

Are these things coincidences? Probably. But I do expect DNA results to show that I have a significant amount of German ancestry, and that my wife has a significant amount of Jewish ancestry.

Maybe, since diluted, something like 1/32.

Which proves what we all know: everyone happily f**ks everyone.

I have jewish ancestry too thru my mother's mother and it checked out that with the dna test, it registered as european jewish.

12 hours ago, fourputt said:

Thank you for the information, I understand what you mean involving help now that you clued me into what's required.

thank you.

if you have any questions, I would be glad to answer.

5 hours ago, jerra- said:

I have jewish ancestry too thru my mother's mother and it checked out that with the dna test, it registered as european jewish.

According to the Jewish religion, you're Jewish if you have an unbroken Jewish matrilineal line.

Not that it matters, but if you had that, you could truthfully claim to be Jewish.

Of course that would also mean a certain probability of being the target of physical violence. Because that's never gone away, nor is it likely to ever go away.

Note that actual belief has nothing to do with it. I'm an atheist (as was my father), but still considered Jewish because of the matrilineal line.

9 hours ago, jerra- said:

thank you.

if you have any questions, I would be glad to answer.

Will do, just checked on delivery status and they are scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

6 hours ago, laripu said:

According to the Jewish religion, you're Jewish if you have an unbroken Jewish matrilineal line.

Not that it matters, but if you had that, you could truthfully claim to be Jewish.

Of course that would also mean a certain probability of being the target of physical violence. Because that's never gone away, nor is it likely to ever go away.

Note that actual belief has nothing to do with it. I'm an atheist (as was my father), but still considered Jewish because of the matrilineal line.

I am sure my grandmother was 100 per cent jewish,  I havesome dna matches that are 100 per cent jewish. some i think never left ukraine.. my grandmother's family left ukraine because of anti jewish sentiments. I still have distant relatives there. zeleknsky's family probably had a rough time in the early 1900;s or so.

she married a catholic and this did sit well with at least one sister.

3 hours ago, fourputt said:

Will do, just checked on delivery status and they are scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

that is good.

On 12/23/2019 at 10:18 AM, fourputt said:

Anyone ever try one of these or know someone who has?

I did.

Turns out I'm Olympian Zeus (Paternal)

Go figger.

2 hours ago, Blue Devil said:

Turns out I'm Olympian Zeus (Paternal)

Go figger.

Not hard to figure. Zeus is known for taking the form of a swan, to rape human females. So your DNA is half bird. That's the part responsible for " figgerin' ".

Williams Butler Yeats provided the evidence in his wonderful poem, Leda and the Swan. Here's your birth certificate, as supplied but Yeats:

A sudden blow: the great wings beating still
Above the staggering girl, her thighs caressed
By the dark webs, her nape caught in his bill,
He holds her helpless breast upon his breast.

How can those terrified vague fingers push
The feathered glory from her loosening thighs?
And how can body, laid in that white rush,
But feel the strange heart beating where it lies?

A shudder in the loins engenders there
The broken wall, the burning roof and tower
And Agamemnon dead.
                    Being so caught up,
So mastered by the brute blood of the air,
Did she put on his knowledge with his power
Before the indifferent beak could let her drop?

I purchased the Ancestry Health add on, and I'm not happy.  It said that I didn't show any of the genetic markers for breast cancer; and then clarified that they had only checked 24 markers out of 2400 that could influence breast cancer.  Said the same about colon cancer.

They then said that I didn't show any sign of being a carrier for Tay Sachs.  No s#%#, Sherlock.  Tay Sachs is a genetic disorder in descendants of Eastern European Jews.  I'm 99.5% western European, with no Jewish ancestry.  The little smidgen is Native American.

The rest of the assessment was that I was absolutely normal, except that I had a gene that meant I absorbed caffeine slowly.

32 minutes ago, LoreD said:

I purchased the Ancestry Health add on, and I'm not happy.  It said that I didn't show any of the genetic markers for breast cancer; and then clarified that they had only checked 24 markers out of 2400 that could influence breast cancer.  Said the same about colon cancer.

They then said that I didn't show any sign of being a carrier for Tay Sachs.  No s#%#, Sherlock.  Tay Sachs is a genetic disorder in descendants of Eastern European Jews.  I'm 99.5% western European, with no Jewish ancestry.  The little smidgen is Native American.

The rest of the assessment was that I was absolutely normal, except that I had a gene that meant I absorbed caffeine slowly.

the health part is expensive. I am sorry you feel it wasn't worth it.  

I am about 35 per cent english, 30 per cent scotch/irish, 

On 12/30/2019 at 2:37 PM, laripu said:

Not hard to figure. Zeus is known for taking the form of a swan, to rape human females. So your DNA is half bird. That's the part responsible for " figgerin' ".

Williams Butler Yeats provided the evidence in his wonderful poem, Leda and the Swan. Here's your birth certificate, as supplied but Yeats:

A sudden blow: the great wings beating still
Above the staggering girl, her thighs caressed
By the dark webs, her nape caught in his bill,
He holds her helpless breast upon his breast.

How can those terrified vague fingers push
The feathered glory from her loosening thighs?
And how can body, laid in that white rush,
But feel the strange heart beating where it lies?

A shudder in the loins engenders there
The broken wall, the burning roof and tower
And Agamemnon dead.
                    Being so caught up,
So mastered by the brute blood of the air,
Did she put on his knowledge with his power
Before the indifferent beak could let her drop?

Leave it to an Academic Communist Malcontent to start with

Zeus, king of the gods of Mount Olympus!

...and end up with a fuckin' bird.

Ha!

Course, you do that a lot.

Super-Trump.jpg

55 minutes ago, jerra- said:

the health part is expensive. I am sorry you feel it wasn't worth it.  

I am about 35 per cent english, 30 per cent scotch/irish, 

It wasn't really expensive, but I would have paid more for something of value.  It didn't seem that they tested for much.  And just a few things about vitamin absorption, that turned out normal.  Except for the Tay Sachs thing, it was completely generic.