Border

laripu

Some time ago, in one of these threads, I mentioned that I would write a trio of poems about Trump. I posted two of them, long ago, in threads here. The first was a sonnet, technically good and sort of fun. I'm happy with it. The second was a villanelle, technically spot on but emotionally flat: a failure.

I've completed the third. It was supposed to be a rondeau, but I couldn't make that work. So I discarded that idea, that form, and just worked with the feelings, turning them over and over until I knew what had to be felt. The turning point was a few phrases in Spanish. Google Translate is my friend.

This is called Border. I think it succeeds. It's meant to be read aloud, to others.

Mama, te extraño! - Every day
I've cried,
since they took you away,
at the border of this land,
the USA.
How long
since I saw the sky,
since I could play?
This cold cage hurts. When
can I kiss you again
y Papa tambien?

Creo que Jesús me odia
or he has a heart of stone.
Otherwise why 
would he let me
be sick,
in this cage, alone?
I'll never pray.
No one hears me cry.
El mundo es feo.
Mama, te extraño.

5 hours ago, laripu said:

Some time ago, in one of these threads, I mentioned that I would write a trio of poems about Trump. I posted two of them, long ago, in threads here. The first was a sonnet, technically good and sort of fun. I'm happy with it. The second was a villanelle, technically spot on but emotionally flat: a failure.

I've completed the third. It was supposed to be a rondeau, but I couldn't make that work. So I discarded that idea, that form, and just worked with the feelings, turning them over and over until I knew what had to be felt. The turning point was a few phrases in Spanish. Google Translate is my friend.

This is called Border. I think it succeeds. It's meant to be read aloud, to others.

Mama, te extraño! - Every day
I've cried,
since they took you away,
at the border of this land,
the USA.
How long
since I saw the sky,
since I could play?
This cold cage hurts. When
can I kiss you again
y Papa tambien?

Creo que Jesús me odia
or he has a heart of stone.
Otherwise why 
would he let me
be sick,
in this cage, alone?
I'll never pray.
No one hears me cry.
El mundo es feo.
Mama, te extraño.

I think your poem says it all. And that anyone who has feelings for their fellow human being would be more than upset by what this border thing has become.

Why, exactly why are we doing this?

Take a small country like Jordan where they have droves of immigrants from Syria. 

Well sure, geographically... it is insidious, and climate change is happening, and it will only get worse even if we do our best to go carbon neutral.

How smart do you have to be to see this truth?

Give me, give all people, a reason to work hard to make a better world. 

Stop the narrative of hate. 

Peace!

The abject cruelty continues unabated.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/21/it-is-beyond-cruel-ice-refuses-to-reunite-girl-with-the-only-family-she-has-left

From the article:

For more than nine months, María, 23, has been waiting in an immigration detention center in Arizona hoping to reunite with the six-year-old niece she raised as a daughter. When the two asked for asylum at the border last March because they feared for their lives in Guatemala, border officials detained María in the Eloy detention center and sent the girl to foster care in New York, 2400 miles away.

13 hours ago, laripu said:

There is going to be thousands of stories just like this one and many more even worse where we sent children back without families to the country they fled, brace yourselves for some real terror.