How is this constitutional?

Congress just declared that the latest iteration of the Farm Bill requires that cockfighting be made illegal in Puerto Rico. I am not defending cockfighting, I have attended several cockfights, cockfighting  is an unpleasant and bloody spectacle. But it is a party of Puerto Rican culture, and I think only the Puerto Ricans should have the right to do away with it.

But I fail to see how the Congress in Washington where PR has no voting member has any jurisdiction, and whose citizens cannot vote for president, can claim that the Constitution gives them the right to outlaw fighting roosters.

There is no interstate commerce that involves cockfights.

21 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

Congress just declared that the latest iteration of the Farm Bill requires that cockfighting be made illegal in Puerto Rico. I am not defending cockfighting, I have attended several cockfights, cockfighting  is an unpleasant and bloody spectacle. But it is a party of Puerto Rican culture, and I think only the Puerto Ricans should have the right to do away with it.

But I fail to see how the Congress in Washington where PR has no voting member has any jurisdiction, and whose citizens cannot vote for president, can claim that the Constitution gives them the right to outlaw fighting roosters.

So now you are opposed to Congress demanding federal animal cruelty laws be followed?

What kind of sick SOB are you?

23 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

Sounds like Puerto Rico should seek independence. 

3 minutes ago, kking said:

Sounds like Puerto Rico should seek independence. 

My point is that I don't see how the Constitution  gives the feds the right to outlaw cockfighting among people who have no vote in the federal government.

There are three parties in Puerto Rico (Independence, status quo, and Statehood) and none can get a majority. Without a majority or perhaps a supermajority, Congress will not allow statehood, or even organized territorial status.

9 minutes ago, BatteryPowered said:

So now you are opposed to Congress demanding federal animal cruelty laws be followed?

All the chickens you eat lived happy lives and died a peaceful, natural death, of course.

And again, I agree that cockfighting is cruel, like dog racing, boxing and football.

But this is about the CONSTITUTION. It does not say a thing about cockfighting. George Washington had fighting cocks at Mount Vernon. The Founding Fathers enjoyed cockfighting.

Abnd you want to ignore the sacred Constitution.

Get yourself a job with this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Perdue

1 hour ago, XavierOnassis said:

Isn't a Constitutional topic until you make it out to be one.  This is within treaties between two State of Minds.

1 hour ago, XavierOnassis said:

My point is that I don't see how the Constitution  gives the feds the right to outlaw cockfighting among people who have no vote in the federal government.

There are three parties in Puerto Rico (Independence, status quo, and Statehood) and none can get a majority. Without a majority or perhaps a supermajority, Congress will not allow statehood, or even organized territorial status.

Pop.  of Cali  =   40 million.

Pop.  of WY   =  0.6 million.

But in the Senate, both states are treated equal.

Without the Electoral College, the will of the city-boy Cali Dems would rollover the will of the Wyoming ranchers.

Cali Dems would decide taxes on Wyoming.  It would be, "taxation without representation".

The same is true with Puerto Rico.  The will of D.C. is rolling over the will of  P.R.  If P.R. was a state then they

would have a semblance of equality in the Senate, regardless of size.  This is the importance of the E/C.

I propose that we treat all states equally, large or small, by keeping the E/C.

And Cock-fighting?  Many years ago, down on the Rio Grande River, I won $1,000 on a big, red, rooster

by the name of "Rambo".  He wore spurs and it was vicious and bloody.  The rules were 'fight to the death

or until the owner throws in a white towel'.   Legalization should by determined by "Individual States-Right".

All of life...….is one great, big, adventure.      Ahhhhhh……..the memories.                    😊...🍸

2 hours ago, XavierOnassis said:

PUT A LOADED GUN TO YOUR HEAD

I AM NOT SUGGESTING ANYTHING MORE!

Somebody made a few bucks. Gotta nip it in the bud

because they are a territory not a state and therefore under the auspices of the federal government and is not sovereign  like a state.

All animal abusers should be shot and killed where they stand. I dont give a shit what country its in. 

1 hour ago, Vegas said:

All animal abusers should be shot and killed where they stand. I dont give a shit what country its in. 

So you think that no one in the production of poultry, beef or pork abuses animals?

The Constitution,not you, is what decides this. Territories are covered 100% by the Constitutional rights.

3 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

So you think that no one in the production of poultry, beef or pork abuses animals?

The Constitution,not you, is what decides this. Territories are covered 100% by the Constitutional rights.

They should be shot on site. Look, youre a liberal, so i would never expect you to understand how morality and laws of the land sometimes dont match up. You libs are obsessed with laws, regulations , and taxes. Morality? Pfffttttt....you could give two shits about it. Its legal in Saudia Arabia to rape 12 yr old boys. Oh, but who cares? Its legal so...pathetic twat.