Jump to content

Excellent article on the whole thing


splunch
 Share

Recommended Posts

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/12/16/hope-lies-streets

 

The distraction is the thing.  If we do not make a reasoned, rational step back towards common ground, eventually we will make a lurching leap onto some horrifying radical extreme, whether left or right.  And they are all the same:  kill the non-believers, the impure, so that we can have a good society again.  It doesn't end well.  Can we pull off the hardest trick...pull back from division and fear and coalesce into something that can resist the focused, combined economic and political power of the ungodly concentrated wealth that wants anything but that to happen?  

 

You know what's too bad, is the classless rich that fuel the worst of the excesses, the most destructive behavior and rhetoric, have absolutely no sense of noblesse oblige.  They will kill the golden goose, and when it turns out that this somehow turns around and kills them, they'll go to their graves spitting and snarling and blaming everyone else, Donald Trump style.  Old school conservatives, decent conservatives, are supposed to be smart enough to know that their positions at the top of the power structure, directing the course of events, is a responsibility and will only hold up as long as they keep the plane airborne.  If they crash into a mountain, there is nothing left to sustain them and their position, let alone anything else.  They're supposed to be smart enough to understand they are stewards.  

 

We forget this periodically, and the hungriest, grittiest people claw their way into power, and they never stop shoveling in more and more.  Until eventually, we get 1907, then WWI, then 1929, then WWII.  And countless other examples throughout history.  The problem is, eventually, we're going to hit one of these big "cleanses" or whatever they are, and our weapons will be so powerful that nothing recognizable will survive it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Taipan said:

No problema, senor.

Some of us are not afraid of WW III,....or anything else.

The Christian poker player will simply pick-up his

chips.....and find a new game.         😇.

That is not an example of a "Christian Poker Player", that is an example of a total moron.

An actual WWIII must be avoided at any cost, since any WWIII would involve nuclear weapons and worse. There would be no other poker game.

 

World diplomacy and conflicts are vastly different from poker games.

With poker games, there is a winner.

In actual armed combat, EVERYONE loses. No one wins...ever.

Take Juniorbushes unnecessary war in Iraq.

The US lost over a trillion dollars.

The military families lost fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, children.

Iraq lost one cruel dictator, but fat more damage was done to Iraqis that even Sadam could have caused.

US incompetence of beginning a war with no exit plan, and the removal of all authority persons in Iraq caused deaths, injuries and hardships for nearly every Iraqi.

The glut of weapons caused a ghastly civil war in Syria, and the creation of ISIS.

 

Wars are not poker games. In modern wars, EVERYONE loses.

I suggest that "Taipan" stick to reading political potboilers and playing poker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, XavierOnassis said:

That is not an example of a "Christian Poker Player", that is an example of a total moron.

An actual WWIII must be avoided at any cost, since any WWIII would involve nuclear weapons and worse. There would be no other poker game.

 

World diplomacy and conflicts are vastly different from poker games.

With poker games, there is a winner.

In actual armed combat, EVERYONE loses. No one wins...ever.

Take Juniorbushes unnecessary war in Iraq.

The US lost over a trillion dollars.

The military families lost fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, children.

Iraq lost one cruel dictator, but fat more damage was done to Iraqis that even Sadam could have caused.

US incompetence of beginning a war with no exit plan, and the removal of all authority persons in Iraq caused deaths, injuries and hardships for nearly every Iraqi.

The glut of weapons caused a ghastly civil war in Syria, and the creation of ISIS.

 

Wars are not poker games. In modern wars, EVERYONE loses.

I suggest that "Taipan" stick to reading political potboilers and playing poker.

And WW IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, splunch said:

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/12/16/hope-lies-streets

 

The distraction is the thing.  If we do not make a reasoned, rational step back towards common ground, eventually we will make a lurching leap onto some horrifying radical extreme, whether left or right.  And they are all the same:  kill the non-believers, the impure, so that we can have a good society again.  It doesn't end well.  Can we pull off the hardest trick...pull back from division and fear and coalesce into something that can resist the focused, combined economic and political power of the ungodly concentrated wealth that wants anything but that to happen?  

 

You know what's too bad, is the classless rich that fuel the worst of the excesses, the most destructive behavior and rhetoric, have absolutely no sense of noblesse oblige.  They will kill the golden goose, and when it turns out that this somehow turns around and kills them, they'll go to their graves spitting and snarling and blaming everyone else, Donald Trump style.  Old school conservatives, decent conservatives, are supposed to be smart enough to know that their positions at the top of the power structure, directing the course of events, is a responsibility and will only hold up as long as they keep the plane airborne.  If they crash into a mountain, there is nothing left to sustain them and their position, let alone anything else.  They're supposed to be smart enough to understand they are stewards.  

 

We forget this periodically, and the hungriest, grittiest people claw their way into power, and they never stop shoveling in more and more.  Until eventually, we get 1907, then WWI, then 1929, then WWII.  And countless other examples throughout history.  The problem is, eventually, we're going to hit one of these big "cleanses" or whatever they are, and our weapons will be so powerful that nothing recognizable will survive it.  

 

That's some textbook crazy radicalism.  It's telling that this guy fondly quotes Lenin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, splunch said:

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/12/16/hope-lies-streets

 

The distraction is the thing.  If we do not make a reasoned, rational step back towards common ground, eventually we will make a lurching leap onto some horrifying radical extreme, whether left or right.  And they are all the same:  kill the non-believers, the impure, so that we can have a good society again.  It doesn't end well.  Can we pull off the hardest trick...pull back from division and fear and coalesce into something that can resist the focused, combined economic and political power of the ungodly concentrated wealth that wants anything but that to happen?  

 

You know what's too bad, is the classless rich that fuel the worst of the excesses, the most destructive behavior and rhetoric, have absolutely no sense of noblesse oblige.  They will kill the golden goose, and when it turns out that this somehow turns around and kills them, they'll go to their graves spitting and snarling and blaming everyone else, Donald Trump style.  Old school conservatives, decent conservatives, are supposed to be smart enough to know that their positions at the top of the power structure, directing the course of events, is a responsibility and will only hold up as long as they keep the plane airborne.  If they crash into a mountain, there is nothing left to sustain them and their position, let alone anything else.  They're supposed to be smart enough to understand they are stewards.  

 

We forget this periodically, and the hungriest, grittiest people claw their way into power, and they never stop shoveling in more and more.  Until eventually, we get 1907, then WWI, then 1929, then WWII.  And countless other examples throughout history.  The problem is, eventually, we're going to hit one of these big "cleanses" or whatever they are, and our weapons will be so powerful that nothing recognizable will survive it.  

 

Too many afflicted with authoritarian personality. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

OnjdFma.mp4

 

You are beating a dead horse and suggesting that I be more original?

Wow.     

Where you do come up with this internet trash?

Are you back on the crack-pipe...….again?            😯    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Zaro said:

But of course they are all wrong. You are a stable genius

LOL....LOL.....

Can I buy you a Shiner Bock Beer.....from Shiner, TX?

It is made right down road from San Antone.

It is my favorite micro-brewery.                 🤠...🍺.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, splunch said:

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/12/16/hope-lies-streets

 

The distraction is the thing.  If we do not make a reasoned, rational step back towards common ground, eventually we will make a lurching leap onto some horrifying radical extreme, whether left or right.  And they are all the same:  kill the non-believers, the impure, so that we can have a good society again.  It doesn't end well.  Can we pull off the hardest trick...pull back from division and fear and coalesce into something that can resist the focused, combined economic and political power of the ungodly concentrated wealth that wants anything but that to happen?  

 

You know what's too bad, is the classless rich that fuel the worst of the excesses, the most destructive behavior and rhetoric, have absolutely no sense of noblesse oblige.  They will kill the golden goose, and when it turns out that this somehow turns around and kills them, they'll go to their graves spitting and snarling and blaming everyone else, Donald Trump style.  Old school conservatives, decent conservatives, are supposed to be smart enough to know that their positions at the top of the power structure, directing the course of events, is a responsibility and will only hold up as long as they keep the plane airborne.  If they crash into a mountain, there is nothing left to sustain them and their position, let alone anything else.  They're supposed to be smart enough to understand they are stewards.  

 

We forget this periodically, and the hungriest, grittiest people claw their way into power, and they never stop shoveling in more and more.  Until eventually, we get 1907, then WWI, then 1929, then WWII.  And countless other examples throughout history.  The problem is, eventually, we're going to hit one of these big "cleanses" or whatever they are, and our weapons will be so powerful that nothing recognizable will survive it.  

I am all for a call for cooler heads to prevail, for common interests to be pursued, but I will not join an effort to demonize the wealthy or scapegoat the rich for all that is wrong in the country. I see no potential of a great cleanse but I do see evidence globalism is being rejected and progressive political correctness is falling out of favor. The sooner we look forward instead of dwelling on historical injustices the better. The quicker we learn local government is the most effective in servicing the needs of the electorate,  rather than pursuing the folly of global governance, the less pain there will be. The author sees wwiii. I see the growing rejection of progressivism. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NeoConvict said:

I am all for a call for cooler heads to prevail, for common interests to be pursued, but I will not join an effort to demonize the wealthy or scapegoat the rich for all that is wrong in the country. I see no potential of a great cleanse but I do see evidence globalism is being rejected and progressive political correctness is falling out of favor. The sooner we look forward instead of dwelling on historical injustices the better. The quicker we learn local government is the most effective in servicing the needs of the electorate,  rather than pursuing the folly of global governance, the less pain there will be. The author sees wwiii. I see the growing rejection of progressivism. 

 

I don't think the author merely "sees WW3," I think he's trying to convince everyone they are so oppressed and victimized that they need to support political radicalization and destabilization until war becomes inevitable. 

 

"A revolutionary class cannot but wish for the defeat of its government in a reactionary war."  - Lenin
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Neomalthusian said:

 

I don't think the author merely "sees WW3," I think he's trying to convince everyone they are so oppressed and victimized that they need to support political radicalization and destabilization until war becomes inevitable. 

 

"A revolutionary class cannot but wish for the defeat of its government in a reactionary war."  - Lenin
 

 

Sounds good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...