Trump’s food benefit cuts will cause 'unmet food needs'

drvoke

Image result for jesus poor"

Republican Jesus: "Get your own, moochers."

How can cons sleep at night knowing they endorse policies that will send a child to bed with an empty stomach?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-food-benefit-cuts_n_5df3cafae4b0deb78b53cc81

(Full article at above link)

WASHINGTON ― The first of the Trump administration’s three major cutbacks to federal food benefits will go into effect next April, unless a judge blocks it. 

Democrats in Congress and in state governments, as well as advocates for poor people, have all vowed to take legal action against the cuts. Attorneys general in Massachusetts and Connecticut have hinted at lawsuits, and the Los Angeles County board of supervisors voted this week to sue, though it’s up to the county’s lawyers to figure out how. 

“We’re looking at the different options,” Rep. Jim McGovern (D-Mass.), the chairman of the House Rules Committee, told HuffPost.

The Trump administration sidestepped Congress in making this cut, simply issuing new regulations. The lawsuits will likely claim the administration broke federal law in doing so, and they may have a chance of success. In October, a federal judge ruled that the Trump administration acted arbitrarily and without proper input from Congress when she and two other judges blocked recent changes to immigration standards.

“It’s pretty clear that the president acted outside of his authority,” said Jessica Bartholow, policy advocate at the Western Center on Law and Poverty. 

Whoever sues, they’ll want a federal judge to issue an injunction blocking the new policy before it takes effect in April. This is the first of three cuts the administration has written into regulations. None has taken effect yet, and the other two, which would impact many more people, haven’t been scheduled. Altogether the changes would cut SNAP enrollment by about 10%. 

The USDA announced that it would pursue the now-looming benefit cut last December on the same day that Trump signed a bill reauthorizing nutrition assistance, which is one of the federal government’s largest anti-poverty programs. 

More than 36 million Americans receive monthly food benefits through electronic benefit transfer cards that can be used to buy food in stores. The upcoming cut targets the 7% of recipients who aren’t caring for children or other adults, who aren’t senior citizens and who don’t have disabilities. They will be required to document 20 hours of “work activities” per week or else lose benefits after three months. 

After their three months of benefits have run out, able-bodied adults can’t sign up again for three years.

“Now, in the midst of the strongest economy in a generation, we need everyone who can work to work,” USDA Secretary Sonny Perdue said when he announced the finalized regulation last week. 

But even if they don’t meet the government’s definition of “disabled” or caring for “dependents,” some program beneficiaries may have health problems or family obligations that make it difficult for them to hold steady jobs. And the USDA knows it: The department said it expected that two-thirds of the 1 million people ultimately subject to the new requirements will be unable to meet them.

What happens to people who lose their benefits? Well, since the new regulation would essentially expand a policy that has already been in effect in some states, we have some idea. 

A study from the USDA’s own Economic Research Service, published in 2002, found shockingly high rates of poverty and higher rates of food insecurity among able-bodied adults who’d been kicked out of the food stamp program, as it was then known, after getting their three months’ worth. Another study, from 2011, found that people who recently stopped receiving nutrition assistance had more “unmet food needs” than people who remain enrolled. 

“The one thing we know is that if you take away food assistance from unemployed folks, they are hungrier, they are poorer, and they still have all the challenges they had before,” said Ed Bolen, a nutrition assistance expert with the liberal Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. “There’s nothing that suggests the goal here is to actually get people jobs.”

Democrats hate how the Trump administration went around Congress, and they hate the policy itself. 

“It’s the holidays,” McGovern said. “I mean this is a time where we’re supposed to be joyous and supposed to be compassionate and for anybody to propose a rule ... Let me put this way: There’s a special place in hell for anybody who proposes a rule to actually take food away from hungry people.”

Image result for trump jesus cartoon "

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How did Dems go to sleep knowing they endorsed policies that sent more children to bed with an empty stomach, while at the same time overseeing record wealth inequality?

Hmmmm…….me thinks this thread juuuuusssssst might be based on hypocrisy and TDS....

The percent of people below 125% of the official poverty rate has also been higher every year under Obama than during Bush’s presidency, and has been over 19% every year from 2010 through 2014. The highest level it reached under Bush was during the start of the recession in 2008 when it was at 17.9%.

Despite President Obama’s view that growing income inequality is hurting the nation, it’s actually gotten worse during his tenure.

The difference between America’s median and average wages grew at a rate of 0.28 percent under President Bush, while it’s grown at a rate of 1.14 percent — or about four times that — under Obama, according to The New York Times.

This data point is one of many that illustrates that in Obama’s America the rich are gaining while the rest of us are struggling to get by.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/income-inequality-obama_n_3853183

dag-nabbit. it truly brings a tear to my eye to think about just how many deadbeat moms who f*cked the wrong guy

will have to put down the crackpipe for one night a week just to feed their little bastard child. *sniff-sniff*. i'm really

all broken up about it.

17 minutes ago, lewstherin said:

dag-nabbit. it truly brings a tear to my eye to think about just how many deadbeat moms who f*cked the wrong guy

will have to put down the crackpipe for one night a week just to feed their little bastard child. *sniff-sniff*. i'm really

all broken up about it.

She won't put down the pipe to feed her kids and you know it. Who suffers?

19 minutes ago, lewstherin said:

all broken up about it.

Your mom was one of them.

3 minutes ago, drvoke said:

She won't put down the pipe to feed her kids and you know it. Who suffers?

well what the f*ck you want me to do about it? i didn't f*ck these women. these aren't my kids. you libs always want other people

to pay for other people's stupid choices. why don't you open your own wallet and do it. i'm sure there's some ghetto you live by. or trailer park

or whatever. go buy a sack of groceries and drop them off. i just don't feel the need. i got my own $hit in this world to deal with.

1 hour ago, drvoke said:

More than 36 million Americans receive monthly food benefits through electronic benefit transfer cards that can be used to buy food in stores. The upcoming cut targets the 7% of recipients who aren’t caring for children or other adults, who aren’t senior citizens and who don’t have disabilities. They will be required to document 20 hours of “work activities” per week or else lose benefits after three months. 

I don’t see a problem with this. 

34 minutes ago, drvoke said:

Image result for jesus feeding the poor "

"3 Then Mary took about a pint[a] of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, “Why wasn’t this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages.[b] He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.

“Leave her alone,” Jesus replied. “It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. You will always have the poor among you,[c] but you will not always have me.”"

32 minutes ago, lewstherin said:

lets be more biblically accurate, ok?

Matthew 25

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

4“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

I gotta laugh when the left who DEMANDS absolutely no religion in government, tries to use religion as support for their gargantuan welfare states.

Government is force. Taxes are collected by force.

Charity is voluntary and personal.

The government will never be capable of charitable or benevolent acts. 

4 minutes ago, jerra- said:

lets be more biblically accurate, ok?

Matthew 25

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

4“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

oh. but if the government steals from me? then puts 90% of it in their own pockets and then maybe gives a nickel out of every dollar they steal

from me to feed some stupid bimbo's kids, who was more than likely just being a whore anyway. spreading her legs to some smooth talking player

simply because she has daddy issues? then this is charity? i'll tell you something. jesus christ will not pat you on the head for being stupid. he might say

....."now go and sin no more"....but some DC bastard snorting coke off a strippers ass and robbing my wallet so HE can give a nickel of every dollar i earned 

to some poor sap scamming the system sure as f*ck ain't gonna save MY soul. so take that bull$hit somewhere else. because that right there is why jesus

lost his temper and started flipping over tables and flogging money changers over.

22 minutes ago, lewstherin said:

oh. but if the government steals from me? then puts 90% of it in their own pockets and then maybe gives a nickel out of every dollar they steal

from me to feed some stupid bimbo's kids, who was more than likely just being a whore anyway. spreading her legs to some smooth talking player

simply because she has daddy issues? then this is charity? i'll tell you something. jesus christ will not pat you on the head for being stupid. he might say

....."now go and sin no more"....but some DC bastard snorting coke off a strippers ass and robbing my wallet so HE can give a nickel of every dollar i earned 

to some poor sap scamming the system sure as f*ck ain't gonna save MY soul. so take that bull$hit somewhere else. because that right there is why jesus

lost his temper and started flipping over tables and flogging money changers over.

no, He said to feed the hungry, no questions asked.