"A Return To Normalcy": A Return To Civility and Sanity

Doobie

“A Return to Normalcy”: A Return to Civility and Sanity

Over 100 years ago, during the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11 month, World War I ended: Armistice Day (now Veterans Day), November 11, 1918.

As we observed Veterans Day a little over one month ago to once again honor the brave men and women who have served our country over the years… As we pay reverence to those courageous men and women in our armed forces who made the ‘ultimate sacrifice’ to allow us and others in this world to remain free, I urge my fellow-Americans to vote, in this presidential election, for a “Return to Normalcy.”   A Return to civility and sanity.

As “The Great War” was coming to an end, the campaign as to who would become our next president was just beginning.  That election year was 1920.   The two candidates were the Republican, Senator Warren G. Harding and the Democrat, Governor James M. Cox, both were from Ohio.  Harding would win that election by a landslide. He carried every state with the exception of “The Solid South” (Democrat in those days) and the state of Kentucky.  

In retrospect, many of the events that had surrounded that 1920 election have faded from memory, save for possibly Harding’s campaign slogan: “A Return to Normalcy” (Some questioned whether “normalcy” was actually a word).  By the word “normalcy,” Harding meant the return to the simpler days that existed in the United States before America entered World War I.

As it turned out, the Harding “years” were not so tranquil.  During Harding’s time in office there were several scandals, i.e., Teapot Dome.  There was also Harding’s affair (sound familiar) with a woman named Nan Britton. 

Moreover, as Harding began to realize the extent of the corruption that existed in his administration, he declared, “I have no trouble with my enemies…But my damned friends…they’re the ones who keep me walking the floor nights!”  Harding died of a heart attack on August 2, 1923 while on a West Coast speaking tour.

As we fast-forward one century, there are many who would likely posit that we need, as Harding called it: “A Return to Normalcy”.  Yet, I would prefer a substitute slogan; one that I believe is more appropriate: “A Return to Civility and Sanity”. 

Further, I use the word “sanity” because according to Bob Woodward’s  book, “Fear,” chaos and confusion reign in POTUS’s White House.  In addition, I get the feeling that many administration appointees are holding onto their jobs for the sole purpose of protecting our country from impulsive and ill-advised administrative actions that could threaten the well-being, safety, and security of our country.

Furthermore, we now have an impeachment inquiry that will soon be formed into articles of impeachment.  Yet, another possible route to presidential removal, one that has not been mentioned, at least recently, is the use of the 25th Amendment.  That amendment alludes to possible impairment, i.e., “…the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office.”

Personally, I believe there is “impairment” (The question: “Is there enough of an impairment to apply the meaning and intent of the 25th Amendment to make it applicable to the actions of the current administration?).   When I think about the possibility of impairment, I think in terms of how a “normal” person would act and behave in a similar situation.  Although I’m not a trained psychotherapist (I have taken several courses in field of psychology), I believe there are signs of what I would label “unusual and atypical behavior”.   

Moreover, what worries me most is not just, in my opinion, POTUS’s unusual behavioral.  It’s the potential consequences of that behavior.  And to think he might serve another four years… Frightening.   My fellow Americans, this is not just about me and my family, it’s, in fact, about all of us.  It’s about every man, woman and child in our country, and, I might add, quite possibly, about everyone in the rest of the world. 

Finally, our leaders must step up and put our country first.  Not only do our lives depend on it, but the lives of our children and grandchildren, and the lives of future generations.  To avoid confronting this matter could turn out to be perilous.  We cannot become complacent.  While we still have time, our legislators must act.   This matter cannot wait.  Whatever you call it “A Return to ‘Normalcy” (as the Harding campaign called it back in 1920), or “A Return to Civility and Sanity,” or both, we must act.  Tuesday, November 3, 2020 may be our last chance.  

It's not just our leaders that need to put our country first, it's the people also. In America, our presidents and political dignitaries come and go, but our founding principles of the country remain. There are too many people who will defend their president before they will put the country first. What happens after they are out of office then? It's baffling. I am a Trump supporter, but if Trump is indeed guilty, then I admit I will be disappointed, but I still will advocate for the most extent punishment allowed. My country will always be more important to me than any president.

1 hour ago, Doobie said:

“A Return to Normalcy”: A Return to Civility and Sanity...

Did you write this piece or is it from somewhere else? I like the structure of it, but disagree with the invocation of the 25th amendment. I don't believe it's intended for a president behaving contrary to how a "normal person would behave in a similar situation." That is much too vague and low a standard of impairment. It would be too easily exploited for cynical partisanship. Plus, presidents aren't normal people. They're privy to much more information and knowledge than "normal" people. A decision that may seem insane or evil or stupid to us may come to make sense later, when more information comes to light. 

My understanding is that the 25th amendment is meant for when a president is incapacitated - a sudden illness, a serious physical injury, or a complete and long-lasting mental breakdown.

5 minutes ago, kking said:

Did you write this piece or is it from somewhere else? I like the structure of it, but disagree with the invocation of the 25th amendment. I don't believe it's intended for a president behaving contrary to how a "normal person would behave in a similar situation." That is much too vague and low a standard of impairment. It would be too easily exploited for cynical partisanship. Plus, presidents aren't normal people. They're privy to much more information and knowledge than "normal" people. A decision that may seem insane or evil or stupid to us may come to make sense later, when more information comes to light. 

My understanding is that the 25th amendment is meant for when a president is incapacitated - a sudden illness, a serious physical injury, or a complete and long-lasting mental breakdown.

You and Impartial Observer are the two most intelligent and levelheaded members on this forum. 

1 hour ago, Vegas said:

It's not just our leaders that need to put our country first, it's the people also. In America, our presidents and political dignitaries come and go, but our founding principles of the country remain. There are too many people who will defend their president before they will put the country first. What happens after they are out of office then? It's baffling. I am a Trump supporter, but if Trump is indeed guilty, then I admit I will be disappointed, but I still will advocate for the most extent punishment allowed. My country will always be more important to me than any president.

Good! I see you are recovering from your worser impulses! +++++

Liberals aren't the problem!

12 minutes ago, Vegas said:

You and Impartial Observer are the two most intelligent and levelheaded members on this forum. 

Thanks, mate. You're very kind.

7 minutes ago, nuckin futz said:

Well, we  survived REAGAN, who was SENILE and Fkn Goofy during his 2hd term!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4zvL-x_vZY

Trump will more than likely survive removal from office, however, by doing so he will more than likely continue to destroy democracy and continuously attack the press and his opponents. The 25th ammendment may be the only other option to keep sanity in our executive branch.

2 hours ago, Doobie said:

“A Return to Normalcy”: A Return to Civility and Sanity

Interesting Doobie. 

He will be gone in January 2021 and the 25th will likely have nothing to do with it. 

Impeachment is the most proper route for his exit, but that requires a Senate majority with integrity and we do not have that. 

So let Americans kick him out as I just hope that the People's Will is how the next person takes the office .