Can you believe this? Democratic debate once again in peril as candidates threaten to boycott over union dispute

Democratic debate once again in peril as candidates threaten to boycott over union dispute

Next week's Democratic debate is now in jeopardy after all seven candidates slated to participate said they will refuse to take the stage over a labor strike at the proposed venue -- chaos that comes after the location was already moved once.

Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, entrepreneur Andrew Yang, former Vice President Joe Biden, environmentalist Tom Steyer, South Bend, Ind. Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar all announced in rapid succession Friday afternoontheir plans to sit out the Thursday debate at Loyola Marymount University (LMU) if the college's food service workers are picketing.

"I stand with them," Warren tweeted Friday. "The DNC [Democratic National Committee] should find a solution that lives up to our party's commitment to fight for working people. I will not cross the union's picket line even if it means missing the debate."

Elizabeth Warren

@ewarren

.@UniteHere11 is fighting for better wages and benefits—and I stand with them. The DNC should find a solution that lives up to our party's commitment to fight for working people. I will not cross the union's picket line even if it means missing the debate.

12:37 PM - Dec 13, 2019

Twitter Ads info and privacy

1,368 people are talking about this

Sanders immediately followed with his own tweet in support of the workers of Unite Here Local 11, a labor union representing the hospitality and food service workers at the university.

Bernie Sanders

@BernieSanders

I stand with the workers of @UniteHere11 on campus at Loyola Marymount University fighting Sodexo for a better contract. I will not be crossing their picket line.

1:11 PM - Dec 13, 2019

1,585 people are talking about this

A Sanders campaign spokesperson told Fox News that if the labor dispute isn't resolved and there isn't an alternative venue, Sanders will skip the Los Angeles debate, which will be co-hosted by PBS NewsHour and Politico.

"He's not going to cross the picket line. Simple as that," the campaign spokesperson said.

The Democratic National Committee did not immediately have a comment.

The debate was initially scheduled to be held at the University of California, Los Angeles, but the DNC canceled the location on Nov. 6 over ongoing labor disputes between the university and AFSCME Local 3299. LMU was picked as the alternative site.

Local 11 announced Friday it would protest the debate's second site because contract negotiations have stalled between the union and Sodexo, which runs food operations for students and employees at LMU's campus. About 150 dishwashers, cashiers, cooks and servers are affected by the union dispute.

“We had hoped that workers would have a contract with wages and affordable health insurance before the debate next week. Instead, workers will be picketing when the candidates come to campus,” Susan Minato, the co-president of UNITE HERE Local 11, said in a statement.

A union rep told Fox News the foodservice employees had been working without a contract for several weeks and had already held several pickets in an attempt to force school leaders to provide them with better wages, benefits and working conditions.

The employees were planning to work as normal on debate day, but didn't rule out the possibility of work stoppage, the union spokesperson said.

A source familiar with the matter said the DNC and LMU were not made aware of the issue until after the union sent a letter to the candidates Friday about their picket. Officials at the DNC were looking into the matter on Friday.

A Sodexo spokesperson told Fox News they are searching for a solution.

"Sodexo is 100 percent committed to reaching an agreement, and any statement that we have left the bargaining table is not accurate," the spokesperson said. "We have been negotiating in good faith with the Unite Here Local 11 since December of last year with a goal to reach a new collective bargaining agreement that is equitable for everyone, including our employees, and we still intend to achieve such an agreement.”

It's unclear whether the DNC could move the debate location again in such short notice with the avalanche of candidates threatening to bow out.

"We must live our values and there is nothing more core to the Democratic Party than the fight for the working people," Yang tweeted.

Andrew Yang🧢

@AndrewYang

I won’t cross the @UniteHere11 picket line to attend next week’s debate. We must live our values and there is nothing more core to the Democratic Party than the fight for working people. I support @UniteHere11 in their fight for the compensation and benefits they deserve.

1:35 PM - Dec 13, 2019

1,804 people are talking about this

"We’ve got to stand together with @UniteHere11 for affordable health care and fair wages," Biden said. "A job is about more than just a paycheck. It's about dignity."

Joe Biden

@JoeBiden

I won't be crossing a picket line. We’ve got to stand together with @UniteHere11 for affordable health care and fair wages. A job is about more than just a paycheck. It's about dignity. https://twitter.com/ThisAlexTin/status/1205554284504338432 

Alexander Tin

@ThisAlexTin

After the union says negotiations broke down with @sodexoUSA, @UNITEHERE11 tells me that they informed candidates this morning that they will be boycotting the upcoming @DNC debate at @LoyolaMarymount:

View image on Twitter

2:32 PM - Dec 13, 2019

670 people are talking about this

Steyer tweeted: "I support @UNITEHERE11. If their dispute with @sodexoUSA is not resolved before the debate, I will not cross the picket line. I trust the DNC will find a solution ahead of the debate, and I stand with @LoyolaMarymount workers in their fight for fair wages and benefits."

Tom Steyer

@TomSteyer

I support @UNITEHERE11. If their dispute with @sodexoUSA is not resolved before the debate, I will not cross the picket line. I trust the DNC will find a solution ahead of the debate, and I stand with @LoyolaMarymount workers in their fight for fair wages and benefits.

2:45 PM - Dec 13, 2019

121 people are talking about this

"I stand in solidarity with the workers of @UNITEHERE11 at Loyola Marymount University and I will not cross their picket line," Buttigieg said.

Pete Buttigieg

@PeteButtigieg

I take the debate stage to stand up for workers’ rights, not to undermine them.

I stand in solidarity with the workers of @UNITEHERE11 at Loyola Marymount University and I will not cross their picket line.

3:02 PM - Dec 13, 2019

693 people are talking about this

"As I said at my event with labor leaders here in Miami, I will not cross the picket line and I will stand with @UniteHere11 to fight for the dignity of work," Klobuchar tweeted.

Amy Klobuchar

@amyklobuchar

As I said at my event with labor leaders here in Miami, I will not cross the picket line and I will stand with @UniteHere11 to fight for the dignity of work.

3:27 PM - Dec 13, 2019

209 people are talking about this

LMU released a statement Friday distancing the university from the Sodexo-union dispute and encouraging the two sides to talk in advance of the debate.

“LMU is not a party to the negotiations between Sodexo and Unite Here Local 11,” the statement said. “The university has encouraged and continues to encourage Sodexo to resolve issues raised by Local 11. Earlier today, LMU asked Sodexo to meet with Local 11 next week to advance negotiations and solutions.”

The university added: “LMU is not an agent nor a joint employer of Sodexo, nor of the Sodexo employees assigned to our campus. LMU is proud to host the DNC Presidential Debate and is committed to ensuring that the university is a rewarding place to learn, live, and work.”

13 minutes ago, king of the county said:

Has strike ended?

i saw this on the news and laughed. it provides a very convenient excuse for them to skip their embarrassing ass debate, doesn't it?

i mean....hardly no one was really watching them. and they were making such total buffoons of themselves for those that did watch?

it should be no surprise they'd try to find some dumb excuse to cancel this one.

59 minutes ago, lewstherin said:

i saw this on the news and laughed. it provides a very convenient excuse for them to skip their embarrassing ass debate, doesn't it?

i mean....hardly no one was really watching them. and they were making such total buffoons of themselves for those that did watch?

it should be no surprise they'd try to find some dumb excuse to cancel this one.

Yes it does 

On 12/13/2019 at 5:01 PM, king of the county said:

Democratic debate once again in peril as candidates threaten to boycott over union dispute

Next week's Democratic debate is now in jeopardy after all seven candidates slated to participate said they will refuse to take the stage over a labor strike at the proposed venue -- chaos that comes after the location was already moved once.

Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, entrepreneur Andrew Yang, former Vice President Joe Biden, environmentalist Tom Steyer, South Bend, Ind. Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar all announced in rapid succession Friday afternoontheir plans to sit out the Thursday debate at Loyola Marymount University (LMU) if the college's food service workers are picketing.

"I stand with them," Warren tweeted Friday. "The DNC [Democratic National Committee] should find a solution that lives up to our party's commitment to fight for working people. I will not cross the union's picket line even if it means missing the debate."

Elizabeth Warren

@ewarren

.@UniteHere11 is fighting for better wages and benefits—and I stand with them. The DNC should find a solution that lives up to our party's commitment to fight for working people. I will not cross the union's picket line even if it means missing the debate.

12:37 PM - Dec 13, 2019

1,368 people are talking about this

Sanders immediately followed with his own tweet in support of the workers of Unite Here Local 11, a labor union representing the hospitality and food service workers at the university.

Bernie Sanders

@BernieSanders

I stand with the workers of @UniteHere11 on campus at Loyola Marymount University fighting Sodexo for a better contract. I will not be crossing their picket line.

1:11 PM - Dec 13, 2019

1,585 people are talking about this

A Sanders campaign spokesperson told Fox News that if the labor dispute isn't resolved and there isn't an alternative venue, Sanders will skip the Los Angeles debate, which will be co-hosted by PBS NewsHour and Politico.

"He's not going to cross the picket line. Simple as that," the campaign spokesperson said.

The Democratic National Committee did not immediately have a comment.

The debate was initially scheduled to be held at the University of California, Los Angeles, but the DNC canceled the location on Nov. 6 over ongoing labor disputes between the university and AFSCME Local 3299. LMU was picked as the alternative site.

Local 11 announced Friday it would protest the debate's second site because contract negotiations have stalled between the union and Sodexo, which runs food operations for students and employees at LMU's campus. About 150 dishwashers, cashiers, cooks and servers are affected by the union dispute.

“We had hoped that workers would have a contract with wages and affordable health insurance before the debate next week. Instead, workers will be picketing when the candidates come to campus,” Susan Minato, the co-president of UNITE HERE Local 11, said in a statement.

A union rep told Fox News the foodservice employees had been working without a contract for several weeks and had already held several pickets in an attempt to force school leaders to provide them with better wages, benefits and working conditions.

The employees were planning to work as normal on debate day, but didn't rule out the possibility of work stoppage, the union spokesperson said.

A source familiar with the matter said the DNC and LMU were not made aware of the issue until after the union sent a letter to the candidates Friday about their picket. Officials at the DNC were looking into the matter on Friday.

A Sodexo spokesperson told Fox News they are searching for a solution.

"Sodexo is 100 percent committed to reaching an agreement, and any statement that we have left the bargaining table is not accurate," the spokesperson said. "We have been negotiating in good faith with the Unite Here Local 11 since December of last year with a goal to reach a new collective bargaining agreement that is equitable for everyone, including our employees, and we still intend to achieve such an agreement.”

It's unclear whether the DNC could move the debate location again in such short notice with the avalanche of candidates threatening to bow out.

"We must live our values and there is nothing more core to the Democratic Party than the fight for the working people," Yang tweeted.

Andrew Yang🧢

@AndrewYang

I won’t cross the @UniteHere11 picket line to attend next week’s debate. We must live our values and there is nothing more core to the Democratic Party than the fight for working people. I support @UniteHere11 in their fight for the compensation and benefits they deserve.

1:35 PM - Dec 13, 2019

1,804 people are talking about this

"We’ve got to stand together with @UniteHere11 for affordable health care and fair wages," Biden said. "A job is about more than just a paycheck. It's about dignity."

Joe Biden

@JoeBiden

I won't be crossing a picket line. We’ve got to stand together with @UniteHere11 for affordable health care and fair wages. A job is about more than just a paycheck. It's about dignity. https://twitter.com/ThisAlexTin/status/1205554284504338432 

Alexander Tin

@ThisAlexTin

After the union says negotiations broke down with @sodexoUSA, @UNITEHERE11 tells me that they informed candidates this morning that they will be boycotting the upcoming @DNC debate at @LoyolaMarymount:

View image on Twitter

2:32 PM - Dec 13, 2019

670 people are talking about this

Steyer tweeted: "I support @UNITEHERE11. If their dispute with @sodexoUSA is not resolved before the debate, I will not cross the picket line. I trust the DNC will find a solution ahead of the debate, and I stand with @LoyolaMarymount workers in their fight for fair wages and benefits."

Tom Steyer

@TomSteyer

I support @UNITEHERE11. If their dispute with @sodexoUSA is not resolved before the debate, I will not cross the picket line. I trust the DNC will find a solution ahead of the debate, and I stand with @LoyolaMarymount workers in their fight for fair wages and benefits.

2:45 PM - Dec 13, 2019

121 people are talking about this

"I stand in solidarity with the workers of @UNITEHERE11 at Loyola Marymount University and I will not cross their picket line," Buttigieg said.

Pete Buttigieg

@PeteButtigieg

I take the debate stage to stand up for workers’ rights, not to undermine them.

I stand in solidarity with the workers of @UNITEHERE11 at Loyola Marymount University and I will not cross their picket line.

3:02 PM - Dec 13, 2019

693 people are talking about this

"As I said at my event with labor leaders here in Miami, I will not cross the picket line and I will stand with @UniteHere11 to fight for the dignity of work," Klobuchar tweeted.

Amy Klobuchar

@amyklobuchar

As I said at my event with labor leaders here in Miami, I will not cross the picket line and I will stand with @UniteHere11 to fight for the dignity of work.

3:27 PM - Dec 13, 2019

209 people are talking about this

LMU released a statement Friday distancing the university from the Sodexo-union dispute and encouraging the two sides to talk in advance of the debate.

“LMU is not a party to the negotiations between Sodexo and Unite Here Local 11,” the statement said. “The university has encouraged and continues to encourage Sodexo to resolve issues raised by Local 11. Earlier today, LMU asked Sodexo to meet with Local 11 next week to advance negotiations and solutions.”

The university added: “LMU is not an agent nor a joint employer of Sodexo, nor of the Sodexo employees assigned to our campus. LMU is proud to host the DNC Presidential Debate and is committed to ensuring that the university is a rewarding place to learn, live, and work.”

Debate may not happen omg 

Who cares?  These debates are just click bait for the networks anyway?  I was hoping this might be the election cycle where the candidates finally give them all the finger and have their own debate, and if the media want to cover it, they can show up with a news crew, rather than sponsoring and running the whole thing in a giant corporate money grab circus.

Trump has done little else but he demonstrated wonderfully what a sham those debates are.

If the candidates want to skip it for this or any reason, really, I'm not the least bit amazed or even mildly interested.  I won't watch it in any case, nor will I read what the endless talking heads jibber on about it afterwards telling us who "won" and who the new star is and why so-and-so really screwed up and how this will really hurt their chances and...blah blah blah.

If you don't know who these candidates are by now you should not be voting.  They have very clear records in terms of their past deeds and their funding.  It's pretty clear who is who.

Just now, SpyCar said:

Because it would be very difficult to find another venue in Los Angeles. LOL.

Bill

I believe the candidates' point is that they would decline to do that, out of respect for the union.  They want to put their weight behind the union to lend them some leverage as a political show of solidarity.

Don't worry.  I'm sure the networks will cave because this is a nice meal ticket, and they will make a fortune having the candidates on TV shagging fly balls.  You'll still have your little show...though you of all people I would think would welcome any reason to call it off; if one thing of substance can actually happen during such a debate, it's Biden saying something spectacularly out of touch and/or crazy sounding and utterly wrecking himself.

Why...you'd have to find a whole new lever to shill for as a means of trying to annoy people into apathy, "Bill".

4 minutes ago, splunch said:

I believe the candidates' point is that they would decline to do that, out of respect for the union.  They want to put their weight behind the union to lend them some leverage as a political show of solidarity.

Don't worry.  I'm sure the networks will cave because this is a nice meal ticket, and they will make a fortune having the candidates on TV shagging fly balls.  You'll still have your little show...though you of all people I would think would welcome any reason to call it off; if one thing of substance can actually happen during such a debate, it's Biden saying something spectacularly out of touch and/or crazy sounding and utterly wrecking himself.

Why...you'd have to find a whole new lever to shill for as a means of trying to annoy people into apathy, "Bill".

Dumb. The candidates are supporting the union. Doing the event elsewhere denies Loyola Marymount their moment in the sun just as much as cancelling the debate would.

You should attempt to escape cultic thinking.

Bill