Merriam-Webster declares 'they' its 2019 word of the year

Buffalo

NEW YORK (AP) — A common but increasingly mighty and very busy little word, “they,” has an accolade all its own.

The language mavens at Merriam-Webster have declared the personal pronoun their word of the year based on a 313 percent increase in look-ups on the company's search site, Merriam-Webster.com, this year when compared with 2018.

Rather ambiguous if you ask me. I've got a buddy that uses they a lot. As in--They say, They claim, but he can never explain who "they" is. LOL!

3 minutes ago, Buffalo said:

NEW YORK (AP) — A common but increasingly mighty and very busy little word, “they,” has an accolade all its own.

The language mavens at Merriam-Webster have declared the personal pronoun their word of the year based on a 313 percent increase in look-ups on the company's search site, Merriam-Webster.com, this year when compared with 2018.

Rather ambiguous if you ask me. I've got a buddy that uses they a lot. As in--They say, They claim, but he can never explain who "they" is. LOL!

"They" as a way to avoid the gender based "he" or "she."   I agree with it.

7 minutes ago, leftwinger said:

Yes, so if you're referring to a person and don't want to designate gender then it is confusing. 

Why would one not want to designate the proper gender? HE or SHE.  When one is confused about their gender, say caitlyn jenner, I usually refer to them as faggot or fruit loop.

BRUCE JENNER used to be a male athlete with his picture on a box of Wheaties. When he declared himself "caitlyn" I suggested that THEY put his picture on a box of Fruit Loops. THEY didn't take my suggestion.

Just now, Buffalo said:

Why would one not want to designate the proper gender? HE or SHE.  When one is confused about their gender, say caitlyn jenner, I usually refer to them as faggot or fruit loop.

BRUCE JENNER used to be a male athlete with his picture on a box of Wheaties. When he declared himself "caitlyn" I suggested that they put his picture on a box of Fruit Loops. THEY didn't take my suggestion.

You're missing the point.  

Just now, Buffalo said:

There is no point...He stole my wallet is specific. She stole my wallet is specific. THEY stole my wallet is not specific.

I can't think up a good example right now but you missed the point completely. 

When you're not referring to a specific person, you don't need to have it gender inflected. 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo said:

There is no point...He stole my wallet is specific. She stole my wallet is specific. THEY stole my wallet is not specific.

They would mean a group of people. 
that is confusing. Which gender confuses people are- they just want us to be equally confused 

22 minutes ago, leftwinger said:

Yes, so if you're referring to a person and don't want to designate gender then it is confusing. 

I suggest "it", since then clearly one is talking about ONE person, not a group of people ... which use of "they" denotes.

Just now, BeAChooser said:

I suggest "it", since then clearly one is talking about ONE person, not a group of people ... which use of "they" denotes.

Compare, "It you asked someone about the party it would say it was successful, " to "If you asked someone about the party  they would say it was successful."

2 minutes ago, leftwinger said:

'English famously lacks a gender-neutral singular pronoun to correspond neatly with singular pronouns like everyone or someone, and as a consequence they has been used for this purpose for over 600 years."

"If someone brings a dog into the restaurant he/she would be refused service." 

Where "they" could replace the gendered he or she because you're not referring to a specific person.

3 minutes ago, leftwinger said:

"If someone brings a dog into the restaurant he/she would be refused service." 

Where "they" could replace the gendered he or she because you're not referring to a specific person.

Ok . I think you guys are beating a dead horse. If you want to really do that, I would suggest your efforts be used on RollingRock 

1111.jpg.d0bd7e5455445e45da33a6c75e15db9c.jpg