Late Night Politichat

kking

This board basically dies by 11pm mountain. That's about when I get my second wind, so I'm going to use this opportunity to talk to myself. Other night-owls welcome.

Some positions I'm willing to defend at any time of day:

-the US should not help overthrow foreign governments, ever

-people need to have a little more self-awareness about their blind consumerism

-transkids and transadults should never mutilate their genitals

-if the government actually cared about your health (they don't), they would outright ban cigarettes, alcohol, and fast food; keeping them kind of legal but with a nearly-prohibitive tax is passive-aggressive bullsh.it

-millennials>zoomers>boomers

-elected officials in the US should NOT hold dual citizenship with any other country

-John McCain was a piece of sh.it; his unfortunate illness and death does not change that

-Tulsi Gabbard is the only viable future for the Democrat party

It's just about everyone's bedtime...

A phrase that's been heard a lot over the last couple years is very troubling to me. "Hate speech is not free speech." It's troubling not just because it's usually wielded in response to NON-HATE speech, but also because it's completely false. Just as the fourth amendment was not designed prevent the government from invading your home to ensure you have enough food to eat, the first amendment was not designed to protect pleasant, complimentary, uncontroversial speech. Because pleasant speech does not need protection. Unpleasant, controversial, and passionate speech is what needs protection. So when you hear someone use the phrase "hate speech is not free speech," you can safely draw two conclusion every single time:

1. They are incorrect. 

2. They are trying to stop you from expressing something they don't like. 

Now, saying the phrase itself is, of course, a useful example of free expression. I, personally, am repulsed by the sentiment it represents, but I would NEVER suggest that some should not be ALLOWED to say it. However, I'm concerned that the people who use such a phrase are only doing so because they sense that the establishment and the media is, currently, on their side. My question then becomes: if we allow you to implement the restrictions on speech and expression now, while you feel empowered, how are you gonna feel when your enemies are in power and the precedent for widespread restrictions on free speech is already legally established? Do you think you'll enjoy being censored or fired or assaulted because of something you believe?

...just something to think about to those who are forgetting why free speech was so explicitly enshrined in the bill of rights. 

21 hours ago, kking said:

This board basically dies by 11pm mountain. That's about when I get my second wind, so I'm going to use this opportunity to talk to myself. Other night-owls welcome.

-if the government actually cared about your health (they don't), they would outright ban cigarettes, alcohol, and fast food; keeping them kind of legal but with a nearly-prohibitive tax is passive-aggressive bullsh.it

-elected officials in the US should NOT hold dual citizenship with any other country

-John McCain was a piece of sh.it; his unfortunate illness and death does not change that

I agree with all of this except I am not sure what you mean by millennials>zoomers>boomers. And as far as Tulsi, I could give two shits about the dim party.

9 minutes ago, kking said:

It's just about everyone's bedtime...

A phrase that's been heard a lot over the last couple years is very troubling to me. "Hate speech is not free speech." It's troubling not just because it's usually wielded in response to NON-HATE speech, but also because it's completely false. Just as the fourth amendment was not designed prevent the government from invading your home to ensure you have enough food to eat, the first amendment was not designed to protect pleasant, complimentary, uncontroversial speech. Because pleasant speech does not need protection. Unpleasant, controversial, and passionate speech is what needs protection. So when you hear someone use the phrase "hate speech is not free speech," you can safely draw two conclusion every single time:

1. They are incorrect. 

2. They are trying to stop you from expressing something they don't like. 

Now, saying the phrase itself is, of course, a useful example of free expression. I, personally, am repulsed by the sentiment it represents, but I would NEVER suggest that some should not be ALLOWED to say it. However, I'm concerned that the people who use such a phrase are only doing so because they sense that the establishment and the media is, currently, on their side. My question then becomes: if we allow you to implement the restrictions on speech and expression now, while you feel empowered, how are you gonna feel when your enemies are in power and the precedent for widespread restrictions on free speech is already legally established? Do you think you'll enjoy being censored or fired or assaulted because of something you believe?

...just something to think about to those who are forgetting why free speech was so explicitly enshrined in the bill of rights. 

Why are you here?  Focus on your own rotten country.  You have enough problems there.  This is the United States. If you want to be a part of our country, start a petition in Canada to join us.  Fair warning, no communism.

Just now, Vegas said:

I agree with all of this except I am not sure what you mean by millennials>zoomers>boomers. And as far as Tulsi, I could give two shits about the dim party.

Millennials are better than zoomers, who are better than boomers; IOW, millennials are actually the least-fuc.ked up of any of them. 

You probably should care about the Democratic party, at least a little bit, because they're in rough shape and there's an opportunity for non-corrupt, non-warhawk, non-establishment leaders to take the helm, which is good for the country regardless. 

3 minutes ago, kking said:

Millennials are better than zoomers, who are better than boomers; IOW, millennials are actually the least-fuc.ked up of any of them. 

You probably should care about the Democratic party, at least a little bit, because they're in rough shape and there's an opportunity for non-corrupt, non-warhawk, non-establishment leaders to take the helm, which is good for the country regardless. 

STFU leftist.  Nobody likes you or your piece of crud country.  The DNC is a terrible fascist organization.  The only reason we care about them here is to murder them all by the bushel.

Just now, kfools said:

What is your position on Jews being behind the push for transgender worship?

I think it's more incidental than intentional, since most cheesecake is left-wing, and the left-wing embraces transgender worship. However, one of the pinnacles of my disgust with the modern world was the show "This is Jazz" or whatever, where they took a teenaged minor and showed his mutilation journey on TV. Pretty sure that family is cheesecake. 

Just now, leftwinger said:

Who said that?

This guy: https://medium.com/@GeorgeLakoff/why-hate-speech-is-not-free-speech-428497fa616c

And he isn't the first to express that sentiment.

1 minute ago, Crom33 said:

Why are you here?  Focus on your own rotten country.  Bad word Canada.

Because Canadian politics are fairly dull. What's the matter? You don't like your country getting some outside criticism?

Just now, kking said:

I think it's more incidental than intentional, since most cheesecake is left-wing, and the left-wing embraces transgender worship. However, one of the pinnacles of my disgust with the modern world was the show "This is Jazz" or whatever, where they took a teenaged minor and showed his mutilation journey on TV. Pretty sure that family is cheesecake. 

This guy: https://medium.com/@GeorgeLakoff/why-hate-speech-is-not-free-speech-428497fa616c

And he isn't the first to express that sentiment.

Because Canadian politics are fairly dull. What's the matter? You don't like your country getting some outside criticism?

This isn't entertainment anymore you dimwit.  This is serious.  IF you lived here, you'd know that.  You're some kind of patriot - you think your politics are dull?  You live in a dictatorship.

2 minutes ago, Crom33 said:

STFU leftist.  Nobody likes you or your piece of crud country.  The DNC is a terrible fascist organization.  The only reason we care about them here is to murder them all by the bushel.

Post one left-wing opinion I've expressed on this site.

1 minute ago, leftwinger said:

have fun kking!

lol...thanks

1 minute ago, kfools said:

Y are millennials better than boomers?

Because they have the apathy of gen-x, the nihilism of zoomers, and the sheer whininess of boomers. The best of all worlds, really. Boomers just whine and then buy a half-million dollar motor home. But I was raised by boomers and am very grateful for the upbringing I had, so you can take this particular argument to be facetious.

1 minute ago, kking said:

Post one left-wing opinion I've expressed on this site.

lol...thanks

Because they have the apathy of gen-x, the nihilism of zoomers, and the sheer whininess of boomers. The best of all worlds, really. Boomers just whine and then buy a half-million dollar motor home. But I was raised by boomers and am very grateful for the upbringing I had, so you can take this particular argument to be facetious.

You were raised by boomers?  No kidding?  Lemme guess - they were in their late 30s when they had your autistic ass.  Rotten womb, rotten kids. 

2 minutes ago, Crom33 said:

You were raised by boomers?  No kidding?  Lemme guess - they were in their late 30s when they had your autistic ass.  Rotten womb, rotten kids. 

28 and 29, I was the second of four. I'm thirty years old.

Just now, kfools said:

I'm looking. Could have sworn he said he was in his 70's and was retired from the railroad.

I'm on sabbatical from the railroad. It's just a temporary leave of absence which I requested. 

The railroad???? WTF are you talking about???

TRAINS. In north American, the railroad (or 'railway') is the network on which freight and passenger trains move between destinations. Freight is pulled in "cars" behind a "locomotive" which, through tractive effort, pulls the cars from point A to point B. 

3 minutes ago, Crom33 said:

BULLcrap.

I don't want to dox myself, but I was born in the late 80s and my parents were born in the very early sixties. 

1 minute ago, kking said:

TRAINS. In north American, the railroad (or 'railway') is the network on which freight and passenger trains move between destinations. Freight is pulled in "cars" behind a "locomotive" which, through tractive effort, pulls the cars from point A to point B. 

I don't want to dox myself, but I was born in the late 80s and my parents were born in the very early sixties. 

Crom is a conservative like you. Now you know why I don't take conservatives seriously.

Just now, kking said:

Dude, it's all feasible.  It's all good.  You're in the wrong place.  You're a leftist.  You suck.  Your entire system of belief is an abomination to humanity.  YOU are the problem.  I wish you pain and suffering.  I wish your moronic parents pain and suffering.  Go worry about Canadian politics.  This isn't your playground.

21 hours ago, kking said:

And for what it's worth - Tulsi is leaving the DNC.  But you wouldn't know that.  Would you? 

Lemme tell you something - the DNC is dying.  It will continue to die.  We've won.  For quite some time. I recommend you get your affairs in order, Canuck.  Because the next trade war will be against YOU.

2 minutes ago, leftwinger said:

Crom is a conservative like you. Now you know why I don't take conservatives seriously.

Isn't profiling like that kinda racist lol?

2 minutes ago, kfools said:

That sucks. 70's boomers are the most selfish kind.

Not mine. They both grew up on the farm/small town and worked for everything they had. Both parents, especially my dad, were very frugal and reserved. 

Dude, it's all feasible.  It's all good.  You're in the wrong place.  You're a leftist.  You suck.  Your entire system of belief is an abomination to humanity.  YOU are the problem.  I wish you pain and suffering.  I wish your moronic parents pain and suffering.  Go worry about Canadian politics.  This isn't your playground.

Again, not a leftist, never have been. I suffer every day, but that is part of the joy of life...suffering.