More deaths in gun-free zones

1AC

Twice in the last 2 days people have been killed in gun-free zones at two of our military installations this last one by an obviously radicalized Islamic POS. And the sad part is we have competent highly-trained military personnel who are not allowed to carry private weapons concealed while on Duty on the federal installation. When will the Department of Defense come to the realization that if these military personnel can be trusted with more dangerous weapons then a handgun they should be allowed to carry one concealed. It would have saved a life today at the Naval Air Station in Pensacola where it took the civilian police 5 minutes to get there.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Giujo said:

And the sad part is we have competent highly-trained military personnel who are not allowed to carry private weapons concealed while on Duty on the federal installation.

I thought the sad part was that the perp in Hawaii was an active duty Sailor.  The Navy typically does a poor job of training most of their Sailors in use of firearms unless they are SEALS, Seabees or pat of a special security force like boat units.  I know I was poorly trained as an MM1/SS on submarines even during the cold war.  I had to buy my own gun collection and train myself to be come a proficient shooter.

I'm not really up on the latest details, but it seems this Sailor shot two civilians in the shipyard then turned the gun on himself.

Most people will not be able to defend themselves from that kind of action.  Even SEAL sniper Chris Kyle ended up on the wrong side of a gun when a former Marine he was shooting with grabbed his pistol and killed him along with a friend so he could steal a truck.

1 hour ago, Ranb said:

I thought the sad part was that the perp in Hawaii was an active duty Sailor.  The Navy typically does a poor job of training most of their Sailors in use of firearms unless they are SEALS, Seabees or pat of a special security force like boat units.  I know I was poorly trained as an MM1/SS on submarines even during the cold war.  I had to buy my own gun collection and train myself to be come a proficient shooter.

I'm not really up on the latest details, but it seems this Sailor shot two civilians in the shipyard then turned the gun on himself.

Most people will not be able to defend themselves from that kind of action.  Even SEAL sniper Chris Kyle ended up on the wrong side of a gun when a former Marine he was shooting with grabbed his pistol and killed him along with a friend so he could steal a truck.

Salient point is if the shooter knows he's in a gun-free zone he doesn't have to second-guess himself, he doesn't have to figure out who may or may not have a gun. He's looking for an opportunity to do the maximum amount of damage before he eats his own gun. He knows he only has a few minutes before the police arrive. He will always seek out gun free zones. Saying that anyone walking down the street could be randomly shot is besides the point.

I used to live in Hawaii and worked at the navel base and shipyard.  There are much softer targets around the island that are also gun free zones.  There is armed security on the ships and gates, so it is not totally gun free.  Time will tell, but I'd imagine that the shooter had a score to settle with someone and did not pick the shipyard because it was a soft gun free zone. 

3 hours ago, Giujo said:

Twice in the last 2 days people have been killed in gun-free zones at two of our military installations this last one by an obviously radicalized Islamic POS. And the sad part is we have competent highly-trained military personnel who are not allowed to carry private weapons concealed while on Duty on the federal installation. When will the Department of Defense come to the realization that if these military personnel can be trusted with more dangerous weapons then a handgun they should be allowed to carry one concealed. It would have saved a life today at the Naval Air Station in Pensacola where it took the civilian police 5 minutes to get there.

I would agree that the MPs at stations should be armed.  

Some more details about the shooting at the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard.

https://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/sailor-kills-two-civilian-workers-himself-in-shooting-at-pearl-harbor-navy-officials-say-1.609831

Chadwick said the sailor was assigned to the submarine USS Columbia, which is undergoing repairs in dry dock. Victims’ names will be released after families are notified. The surviving victim is at a hospital in stable condition, Chadwick told reporters.

The shooter was identified Thursday as 22-year-old G. Romero, according to the Associated Press, citing a military official who spoke on condition of anonymity to provide details that had not been made public. He used his service rifle to shoot the victims, then killed himself with his service pistol, the official said.

Sounds like he was the topside watch (sentry).  Even if the shipyard workers had been armed, I doubt that in this case they could have saved themselves.  This is a case of security personnel going bad.

Other reports say he had some issues and was going to be disciplined (non-judicial punishment) by his command.  Sounds like he was pissed off at the world and wanted to take some people with him as he went down.

The shooting in Pensacola.

The gunman was using a locally purchased Glock 45 9-millimeter handgun with an extended magazine and had four to six other magazines in his possession when he was taken down by a sheriff’s deputy, the person said.

The attack by a foreign national inside an American military installation raised questions about the vetting process for international students who are cleared by the Department of Defense and is likely to complicate military cooperation between the United States and Saudi Arabia at a time when relations with the kingdom are already tense.

Six other Saudi nationals were detained for questioning near the scene of the shooting, including three who were seen filming the entire incident, according to a person briefed on the initial stages of the investigation.

I wish Trump would not sugar coat his feelings towards these creeps so much.

“The king said that the Saudi people are greatly angered by the barbaric actions of the shooter and that this person in no way, shape or form represents the feelings of the Saudi people who love the American people so much,” Mr. Trump said at a small-business round table in Washington.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pensacola-shooting-today-3-people-killed-shooter-dead-at-florida-navy-base-nas-pensacola-2019-12-06/

According to the Middle East Media Research Institute, someone matching the shooter's identity had an online footprint, including a Twitter post that criticized America's support for Israel.

"O American people - I'm not against you for being American, I don't hate you because your freedoms, I hate you because every day you supporting, funding and committing crimes not only against Muslims but against humanity," the post read.

"What I see from America is the supporting of Israel which is invasion of Muslim countrie (sic), I see invasion of many countries by it's troops, I see Guantanamo Bay. I see cruise missiles, cluster bombs and UAV."

6 hours ago, TrumpBGoneSoon said:

I would agree that the MPs at stations should be armed.  

They are but not off duty... except when I was an MP it was an unwritten law that we carried off duty on post and no one would be charged with any violation if caught.

4 hours ago, TrumpBGoneSoon said:

How many MPs do you normally see patrolling the area?

No clue... I've been out of the military since the 80s and I have never been to a naval base. It's a little different there then when I was in they have the Navy Master At Arms and the DOD police which make up the Naval Air Station Police Department... We never shared duties with any civilian or DOD police... We had concurrent jurisdiction on the civilian roads surrounding the post I was at but the civilian police we're not allowed on post without authorization. As Patrol supervisor I had a team of 8 to 10 Patrol MPS and another 6 to 8 gate guard MPS on a shift.

3 minutes ago, slideman said:

I noticed the cops killed the UPS guy in Cold blood

Oh... how did you end up not being shot?... Considering the only way you would know that is if you were in that UPS truck yourself... Dumbass

10 minutes ago, slideman said:

Have the cops planted the gun on the UPS guy? I believe that is standard procedure in these cases

Another obvious cop hater... What did you get busted for that you feel you didn't deserve? A DWI? Lurking near elementary schools and taking pictures of the kiddies... or are you one of those cop wannabes who could never make the cut?

4 minutes ago, Giujo said:

Another obvious cop hater... What did you get busted for that you feel you didn't deserve? A DWI? Lurking near elementary schools and taking pictures of the kiddies... or are you one of those cop wannabes who could never make the cut?

Worse.  He is an elitist liberal who badmouths police like Obama did.   

Obama got cops assassinated with his anti police rhetoric 

21 hours ago, Giujo said:

Gun Free Zones are code for Killing Fields.